Pop and the Web
Author Message
 Pop and the Web

Quote:

> Subject: Pop and the Web

[snip]
> I think that at the moment, I could just about deliver Eden over the Web
> by using dynamically generated GIF files - it might be necessary to
> generate clickable maps too. Together with input forms, this would allow
> students to zoom in on parts of an image, to quit the current session,
> and so on. However, it wouldn't allow the reader to (for example) wire
> up neural networks by drag-and-join, or to run an animation that sends
> new pages at regular intervals. (Actually, Netscape's Server Push
> feature will do the latter, but I think it's a bit unpredictable in
> timing.)

While you cannot do drag-and-join directly, you'll be surprised at what
you can lash together using imagemaps and forms. Looking at:

        http://www.*-*-*.com/
        (an implementation of "Life")

        http://www.*-*-*.com/
        (a "gallery of interactive geometry")

might help generate some ideas.

For animation you could always create an MPEG/QT movie dynamically and
send that.

Quote:
> It occurred to me that one could define one's own viewers for new image
> file types. These might be more appropriate for some of the images
> appearing in my AI demos than the standard graphics formats.

Unfortunately, as soon as you start writing your own viewers your back
to "a lot of system-dependent GUI hacking" :-)

Quote:
>(Roll on VRML.)

There are already vrml viewers for most platforms (not terribly nippy
ones in some cases --- but they're there).

Quote:
>Also, these viewers might be able to run some of the interaction
> locally. However, I don't think it's possible to send HTTP requests back
> from such viewers to the server.

Both NCSA Mosaic and Netscape allow client side applications to
communicate with a HTTP server using the browser as an intermediary. For
more info see:

        http://www.*-*-*.com/ #client_api
        http://www.*-*-*.com/

Unfortunately none of the protocols are quite as useful as they could
be.

Quote:
>Java should be able to cope with the
> latter, once it's available.

Indeed

Adrian

Tue, 14 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. SA22-7201-5 manual (S/390 POPs) available via Web

2. Pop-search the web quickly with Search Spaniel

3. Pop and the Web - server processes hanging on child

4. Pop and the Web

5. Pop and the Web

6. Pop and the Web

7. web-based POP mail client

8. comp.lang.pop (and pop-forum) FAQ available in html

9. comp.lang.pop (and pop-forum) FAQ available in html

10. comp.lang.pop -> pop-forum gateway

11. comp.lang.pop and pop-forum gateway

12. pop FAQ (was Q: what is pop?)