filenames, argument list separators
Author Message
 filenames, argument list separators

Quote:

> Some time ago (1993 I think) a decision was taken to make ved treat an
> argument with spaces as a request to read in multiple files.

> So,

>    ENTER ved my report

> makes Ved attempt to read in a file called "my" and a file called
> "report".
>Does anyone ever use the ability to give Ved an argument with spaces?

Space being a valid char in an identifier, seems absurd.
My prefered OS (oberon) allows only alpha-numeric and 'period' for fileIDs
but files of other systems, with 'invalid' chars can be read,
   by quoting. eg:  "c:/o236/file-name.htm"

This is a fundamental design decision, and should not be messed with.

Is this matter related to pop11's failure to detect the missing separator
in the local var. declaration, below ?  My understanding is that comma
(only) is a a valid separator here ?

    define listify(list) -> result;
              vars next   tail;
              [] -> result;           ;;; initialise result
              while   list matches [?next ??tail]
              do      [^^result [^next] ] -> result;
                      tail -> list;
              endwhile
        enddefine;

Chris Glur.

Tue, 28 Oct 2003 21:22:36 GMT
 filenames, argument list separators

Quote:
> Space being a valid char in an identifier, seems absurd.

Why?

Spaces occur in identifiers all over the place. Here are some examples.

    Christopher James Dollin
    Windows 95
    Red Hat Linux
    The Sorceress and the Cygnet
    Thief of Time
    A Song for all Seasons
    Shifting Sands
    For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night
    Spice manual
    Chatty guide
    Hewlett-Packard Laboratories

Quote:
> My prefered OS (oberon) allows only alpha-numeric and 'period' for fileIDs

Oh, spit. That's ridiculous. No hyphens, underbars, plus signs, etc? I
think that's taking things to extremes I only dream (badly) of. I presume
you're allowed arbitrarily long filenames?

Quote:
> but files of other systems, with 'invalid' chars can be read,
>    by quoting. eg:  "c:/o236/file-name.htm"

So the file-system hadler accepts names with arbitrary characters, you
just can't create files with them in? How ... strange.

Quote:
> This is a fundamental design decision, and should not be messed with.

Why? I have a guess, which may or may not be well-founded. Is it some attempt
to make filenames correspond to programming-language identifiers? Because
while I can accept a no-special-characters rule for such identifers
(because of the rich syntactic context they must appear in), I don't
think the reasons translate to filenames.

Quote:
> Is this matter related to pop11's failure to detect the missing separator
> in the local var. declaration, below ?  My understanding is that comma
> (only) is a a valid separator here ?

>     define listify(list) -> result;
>               vars next   tail;

HELP VARS says:

    For the present, commas may be omitted except after an initialisation,
    but it is recommended that they be used.

and I'd assume it's mostly a backward-compatability relic from the days
of POP2.

No, there's no relationship between the one and the other.

--
Chris "campaign for real filenames" Dollin

Tue, 28 Oct 2003 21:38:59 GMT

1. filenames, argument list separators + gsl extension

2. Using tab as a separator in list directed read

3. arguments(filenames) with spaces in them

4. Locale-sensitive list separator under Windows

5. how to get a list of filename

6. Getting list of filenames from a directory TCL+Win2000+Apache

7. How to Specify Variable FileName(!FileName)In Report

8. Using variable filename(!FILENAME)

9. Long Filenames okay for physical filenames???

10. REQUIRES filename (NEEDS filename)

11. DOS 8.3 filenames (how to remove long filenames header)

12. Library os.path.isfile(filename) - long filenames error.