PL1 and Language Environment and C
Author Message
 PL1 and Language Environment and C

Has anyone called a C (language environment)
routine from a PL1 program where the C routine
has a lower case name?  The C routine has been
called from another C routine and from Cobol for
MVS and VM.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 06 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PL1 and Language Environment and C

Quote:

>Has anyone called a C (language environment)
>routine from a PL1 program where the C routine
>has a lower case name?  The C routine has been
>called from another C routine and from Cobol for
>MVS and VM.

If you are using PL/I for MVS & VM, PL/I will uppercase and truncate the
program name. In fact, case is not generally significant in program names on
OS/390, so this is what you would want.

However, if you use the Binder and PDSEs, you can create program names that are
case sensitive and longer than 8 characters. I think you can also do this if
your target is an executable stored in an HFS file.

To use long or case-sensitive external program names in PL/I, you may need to
use Visual Age PL/I with the right compile options.

Hope this helps put you in the right direction.

Regards,

Steve Comstock
Telephone: 303-393-8716
www.trainersfriend.com

256-B S. Monaco Parkway
Denver, CO 80224
USA

Sun, 06 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PL1 and Language Environment and C
Unless you're using VA PL/I, you'll need suitable #pragma declarations on
the C side for PL/I. These are documented in both the PL/I and the C
publications.

Quote:

> >Has anyone called a C (language environment)
> >routine from a PL1 program where the C routine
> >has a lower case name?  The C routine has been
> >called from another C routine and from Cobol for
> >MVS and VM.

> If you are using PL/I for MVS & VM, PL/I will uppercase and truncate the
> program name. In fact, case is not generally significant in program names
on
> OS/390, so this is what you would want.

> However, if you use the Binder and PDSEs, you can create program names
that are
> case sensitive and longer than 8 characters. I think you can also do this
if
> your target is an executable stored in an HFS file.

> To use long or case-sensitive external program names in PL/I, you may need
> use Visual Age PL/I with the right compile options.

> Hope this helps put you in the right direction.

> Regards,

> Steve Comstock
> Telephone: 303-393-8716
> www.trainersfriend.com

> 256-B S. Monaco Parkway
> Denver, CO 80224
> USA

Thu, 10 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. PL1 Environment Problem with ALC

2. PL1 Environment Problem with ALC

3. PL1 environment and ALC modules

4. PL1 for Linux / PL1 for Win95?

5. wanted: PL1 to C xlator or PL1 BNF

7. APL as First Language for CS

8. BETA primary CS language at University Dortmund (Germany)

9. SURVEY of CS depts. (languages)

10. SURVEY of CS depts. (languages)

11. BETA primary CS language at University Dortmund (Germany)

12. BETA primary CS language at University Dortmund (Germany)