REXX to PL/I translator?
Author Message
 REXX to PL/I translator?

We wrote a ISPF application in REXX. The performance is very bad
(response time up to 30 seconds). Now we are considering several ways to
improve the performance of the application.
One idea was to use PL/I instead of REXX for the non-ISPF parts of the
application (the 'server' parts). Since the application is already
written, we are looking for an automated translation from REXX to PL/I.
Is there such a translater out in the world, for free or not too
expensive?
Every hint is highly appreciated!

--
Daniel
visit us at:

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 03 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 REXX to PL/I translator?
I don't know of an automatic translator.

But if you consider translation by hand (or by editor :-) you can easily
translate the parse statements using the PL/I parse macro I've written.
Have a look at my www pages.

/*---------------------------------------------------------------*/
     /* Eberhard Sturm                          Tel: +49-251-83-31679 */
    /* ZIV (Universitaetsrechenzentrum)        Fax: +49-251-83-31555 */
   /* Roentgenstr. 9-13                                             */

 /* http://www.uni-muenster.de/ZIV/Mitarbeiter/EberhardSturm.html */
/*---------------------------------------------------------------*/

Daniel Jacot schrieb:

Quote:

> We wrote a ISPF application in REXX. The performance is very bad
> (response time up to 30 seconds). Now we are considering several ways to
> improve the performance of the application.
> One idea was to use PL/I instead of REXX for the non-ISPF parts of the
> application (the 'server' parts). Since the application is already
> written, we are looking for an automated translation from REXX to PL/I.
> Is there such a translater out in the world, for free or not too
> expensive?
> Every hint is highly appreciated!

> --
> Daniel
> visit us at:
> http://www.winterthur.com

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Mon, 03 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 REXX to PL/I translator?
Depending on your MVS version, you may be able to "precompile" your REXX to
prevent run-time parsing. Check the documentation for the version of
REXX/MVS you're using. IIRC, IBM also have a REXX compiler offering.

Quote:
> We wrote a ISPF application in REXX. The performance is very bad
> (response time up to 30 seconds). Now we are considering several ways to
> improve the performance of the application.
> One idea was to use PL/I instead of REXX for the non-ISPF parts of the
> application (the 'server' parts). Since the application is already
> written, we are looking for an automated translation from REXX to PL/I.
> Is there such a translater out in the world, for free or not too
> expensive?
> Every hint is highly appreciated!

> --
> Daniel
> visit us at:
> http://www.winterthur.com

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Tue, 04 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 REXX to PL/I translator?
We already do compile our REXX programs. We use static DB2 calls, too.
The problem with REXX seems to be the amount of quite small functions.
Since we 'pach' them together, the overall performance is much better.

But, if our customers do not accept the current response time, we
consider either a started task or, as I mentioned below, translate some
parts into a faster language. PL/I seems a good choice for that since
the syntax ist pretty similar and our knowledge of PL/I is high.

What I am looking for is some sort of parser that would translate the
obvious parts of the REXX code into valid PL/I syntax. The rest would be
done manually.

My programmers offered me to write such a translator, but I am afraid
they would be faster to translate the code manually.

Thanks for your help!

Quote:

--
Daniel
visit us at:
http://www.winterthur.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Tue, 04 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 REXX to PL/I translator?
I know of your PARSE macro, great work! Alas, there are some other
issues to solve.

Quote:

--
Daniel
visit us at:
http://www.winterthur.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Tue, 04 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 REXX to PL/I translator?

Quote:
> We wrote a ISPF application in REXX. The performance is very bad
> (response time up to 30 seconds). Now we are considering several ways
> improve the performance of the application.
> One idea was to use PL/I instead of REXX for the non-ISPF parts of the
> application (the 'server' parts). Since the application is already
> written, we are looking for an automated translation from REXX to
PL/I.
> Is there such a translater out in the world, for free or not too
> expensive?

Well, this is a stretch, since it's rather old, and it's not quite what
you're looking for.  There's a REXX-to-C translator called REXXTACY
(cute name, huh?).  It appears to have been written for OS/2 and DOS,
but maybe the platform-specific issues wouldn't be too bad to wade
through.  Might give you something to start with anyway.

Here are some places I found where it is available (they're all the
same version):

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/dev/rexx/rexxtacy.zip
http://warped.cswnet.com/hobbes/os2/dev/rexx/rexxtacy.zip
http://sunsite.org.uk/packages/os2/ftp.cdrom.com/rexx/rexxtacy.zip

If you still want to target PL/I, then I would imagine you might be
able to find a C-to-PL/I translator somewhere.  Might be some pretty
interesting code after going through two translations!

Another thought that occurred to me was NetRexx, which translates REXX
to Java.  Even if you had Java on the mainframe cooking there, however,
I would think you'd still be faced with performance issues, perhaps
even worse ones.

Still, if you're curious, check out:

http://www2.hursley.ibm.com/netrexx

If you don't have much luck with translators, then you'd obviously be
stuck with a rewrite of some kind.  In doing so, however, I would think
that you'd want to first profile the code with time('R') calls (or the
like) to get a feel for your biggest performance hogs.  Then rewrite
the biggest hogs first.

You might also look for opportunities to soup up what you have.  For
examlple, if you're doing a lot of file I/O, then I would think it
would be most efficient to read multiple records at a time.

Good luck!

Ted

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Tue, 04 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. PL/M-C source translator ?

2. search for translator/converter PL/1 to C

3. PL/I to C translator

4. Pl/1 to C translator

5. NEW PL/1 COMPILER and SOURCE TRANSLATOR TO C

6. NEW PL/1 COMPILER and SOURCE TRANSLATOR TO C

7. Translator wanted, PL/I to ???

8. wanted: PL/1 -> C translator

9. Wanted: PL/1 to Ada Translator

10. PL/M to Ada Translator Needed...