It's not PL/1, it's PL/I
Author Message
 It's not PL/1, it's PL/I

The language was originally called PL/1. When ANSI passed the standard for PL/I in 1976, they
changed the name to PL/I; I have no idea why.

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Mon, 06 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 It's not PL/1, it's PL/I

Quote:

>The language was originally called PL/1. When ANSI passed the standard for PL/I in 1976, they
>changed the name to PL/I; I have no idea why.

>Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

I've used PL/I for 22 years and it has always been called "pee ell / one", but written
"pee ell / eye". It may be because IBM insisted that PL/I wasn't short for
Programming Language One. Maybe they were worried people would wait for
Programming Language Two. Or perhaps the "eye" was originally the Roman
numeral for one. I've never really understood it.

Graham C. Norris

Tue, 07 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 It's not PL/1, it's PL/I

        >The language was originally called PL/1. When ANSI passed the standard for PL/I in 1976, they
        >changed the name to PL/I; I have no idea why.

        >Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

---The first edition (1967) of the IBM PL/I Reference manual used the
name "PL/I" in the title, and in all references throughout to PL/I.

   Originally, the language was called fortran I,then NPL (for "New
Programming Language", then PL/I (for "Programming Language/I").

   ANSI used the name that was current.  It was not "changed"
from PL/1, because until then, the name of the language was PL/I.
It still is (called PL/I).

Wed, 08 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. It's not PL/1, it's PL/I

2. PL/I to 'C' conversion -- PL/I compilers

3. Please do not respond to David Frank's trolls in PL/I news groups (was: PL/I cant read arbitrary files)

4. Need PL/I's BNF Discription

5. User's Personal PL/I Neural Network Leaks

6. Why didn't PL/I take off?

7. How old's this PL/I ?

8. Need PL/I's BNF Discription

9. Need PL/I's BNF Description

10. PL/1 for NT: Won't LINK object files correctly

11. Instructor's Guide for Hughes PL/I book

12. PL/I's leave