Seeking Talented Programmers to Implement Public Domain 32-Bit PL/I Compiler
Author Message
 Seeking Talented Programmers to Implement Public Domain 32-Bit PL/I Compiler

hello all,

I'm seeking to engage the talents of a small team of programmers
to finish a 32-bit compiler that is intended for deployment in the
public domain; this labor of love would be its own reward.

the compiler is almost done; it parses the full 1987 ANSI PL/I
standard. What it doesn't do is generate code.

However, an earlier version *did* generate code for the Win32
platform.

So, this is no troll, this is a fine work, the product of a single mind,
that just needs a little help to bring to completion.

The public licensing model has not yet been chosen. While I
prefer GPL, the original author will make this decision, not me.

To reply, please surgically excise the pig-latin from my e-mail
address, or post replies here.

Thanks,
-doug quebbeman

Wed, 26 May 2004 05:57:48 GMT
 Seeking Talented Programmers to Implement Public Domain 32-Bit PL/I Compiler

Quote:

> hello all,

> I'm seeking to engage the talents of a small team of programmers
> to finish a 32-bit compiler that is intended for deployment in the
> public domain; this labor of love would be its own reward.

> the compiler is almost done; it parses the full 1987 ANSI PL/I
> standard. What it doesn't do is generate code.

> However, an earlier version *did* generate code for the Win32
> platform.

> So, this is no troll, this is a fine work, the product of a single mind,
> that just needs a little help to bring to completion.

> The public licensing model has not yet been chosen. While I
> prefer GPL, the original author will make this decision, not me.

> To reply, please surgically excise the pig-latin from my e-mail
> address, or post replies here.

Apparently my pig latin (ver. 1.0) didn't work as my direct message to
you bounced. Please contact me directly as I am interested in the
"project".

> Thanks,
> -doug quebbeman

Thu, 27 May 2004 06:10:01 GMT
 Seeking Talented Programmers to Implement Public Domain 32-Bit PL/I Compiler
On Sat, 08 Dec 2001 22:10:01 GMT, Donald L. Dobbs scribbled:

Quote:

> Apparently my pig latin (ver. 1.0) didn't work as my direct message to
> you bounced.

What part of "ixnayamspay" didn't you understand?  :-)
As well, cross-checking his Message-ID: would've confirmed the
correct FQDN.

Jonesy
--
  | Marvin L Jones       | jonz           |  W3DHJ   |  OS/2

  |   7,703' -- 2,345m   |   frontier.net |  DM68mn             SK

Thu, 27 May 2004 07:03:27 GMT
 Seeking Talented Programmers to Implement Public Domain 32-Bit PL/I Compiler

Quote:

> On Sat, 08 Dec 2001 22:10:01 GMT, Donald L. Dobbs scribbled:

> > Apparently my pig latin (ver. 1.0) didn't work as my direct message to
> > you bounced.

> What part of "ixnayamspay" didn't you understand?  :-)

I didn't have any trouble with the "ixnayamspay" part of it; I didn't
know what to do with the "ig1ou" part of it.  I sent the reply to

Quote:
> As well, cross-checking his Message-ID: would've confirmed the
> correct FQDN.

> Jonesy
> --
>   | Marvin L Jones       | jonz           |  W3DHJ   |  OS/2

>   |   7,703' -- 2,345m   |   frontier.net |  DM68mn             SK

Thu, 27 May 2004 07:11:40 GMT
 Seeking Talented Programmers to Implement Public Domain 32-Bit PL/I Compiler

Quote:

> hello all,

> I'm seeking to engage the talents of a small team of programmers
> to finish a 32-bit compiler that is intended for deployment in the
> public domain; this labor of love would be its own reward.

> the compiler is almost done; it parses the full 1987 ANSI PL/I
> standard. What it doesn't do is generate code.

> However, an earlier version *did* generate code for the Win32
> platform.

> So, this is no troll, this is a fine work, the product of a single mind,
> that just needs a little help to bring to completion.

> The public licensing model has not yet been chosen. While I
> prefer GPL, the original author will make this decision, not me.

> To reply, please surgically excise the pig-latin from my e-mail
> address, or post replies here.

> Thanks,
> -doug quebbeman

Would it run on Linux?
--
Keith Brown

Fri, 28 May 2004 06:12:29 GMT
 Seeking Talented Programmers to Implement Public Domain 32-Bit PL/I Compiler

Quote:

> > hello all,

> > I'm seeking to engage the talents of a small team of programmers
> > to finish a 32-bit compiler that is intended for deployment in the
> > public domain; this labor of love would be its own reward.

> > the compiler is almost done; it parses the full 1987 ANSI PL/I
> > standard. What it doesn't do is generate code.

> > However, an earlier version *did* generate code for the Win32
> > platform.

> > So, this is no troll, this is a fine work, the product of a single mind,
> > that just needs a little help to bring to completion.

> > The public licensing model has not yet been chosen. While I
> > prefer GPL, the original author will make this decision, not me.

> > To reply, please surgically excise the pig-latin from my e-mail
> > address, or post replies here.

> > Thanks,
> > -doug quebbeman

> Would it run on Linux?

Hopefully...

I'd like to see it piggybacked onto the Gnu Compiler Collection,
either officially, or at least as a convenience. Frankly, my main
goal is to get the compiler source into some kind of Open Source
License...

-dq

Fri, 28 May 2004 23:03:50 GMT
 Seeking Talented Programmers to Implement Public Domain 32-Bit PL/I Compiler

Quote:

>> > hello all,

>> > I'm seeking to engage the talents of a small team of programmers
>> > to finish a 32-bit compiler that is intended for deployment in the
>> > public domain; this labor of love would be its own reward.

>> > the compiler is almost done; it parses the full 1987 ANSI PL/I
>> > standard. What it doesn't do is generate code.

>> > However, an earlier version *did* generate code for the Win32
>> > platform.

>> > So, this is no troll, this is a fine work, the product of a single
>> > mind, that just needs a little help to bring to completion.

>> > The public licensing model has not yet been chosen. While I
>> > prefer GPL, the original author will make this decision, not me.

>> > To reply, please surgically excise the pig-latin from my e-mail
>> > address, or post replies here.

>> > Thanks,
>> > -doug quebbeman

>> Would it run on Linux?

> Hopefully...

> I'd like to see it piggybacked onto the Gnu Compiler Collection,
> either officially, or at least as a convenience. Frankly, my main
> goal is to get the compiler source into some kind of Open Source
> License...

> -dq

While I'm not sure that I would qualify as a talented programmer (in terms
of compiler development) I have written quite a lot of PL/I application
code on VAX/VMS systems. Maybe I could help by testing code for some of you
high powered compiler guys 8-)

--
Keith Brown

Sat, 29 May 2004 10:22:22 GMT
 Seeking Talented Programmers to Implement Public Domain 32-Bit PL/I Compiler

Quote:

> While I'm not sure that I would qualify as a talented programmer (in terms
> of compiler development) I have written quite a lot of PL/I application
> code on VAX/VMS systems. Maybe I could help by testing code for some of
you
> high powered compiler guys 8-)

The compiler's author is looking forward to running the project as its
manager, and I think of myself more as a cheerleader. But yes, I imagine
we'll need a cadre of testers.

-dq

Sat, 29 May 2004 23:35:42 GMT
 Seeking Talented Programmers to Implement Public Domain 32-Bit PL/I Compiler

said:

Quote:
>I'd like to see it piggybacked onto the Gnu Compiler Collection,
>either officially, or at least as a convenience. Frankly, my main
>goal is to get the compiler source into some kind of Open Source
>License...

That would be nice, but why the G subset rather than the full
language?

     Atid/2
     Team OS/2
     Team PL/I

Any unsolicited commercial junk E-mail will be subject to legal
action.  I reserve the right to publicly post or ridicule any
abusive E-mail.

I mangled my E-mail address to foil automated spammers; reply to
domain acm dot org user shmuel to contact me.  Do not reply to

Sun, 30 May 2004 21:11:55 GMT
 Seeking Talented Programmers to Implement Public Domain 32-Bit PL/I Compiler

Quote:

> said:

> >I'd like to see it piggybacked onto the Gnu Compiler Collection,
> >either officially, or at least as a convenience. Frankly, my main
> >goal is to get the compiler source into some kind of Open Source
> >License...

> That would be nice, but why the G subset rather than the full
> language?

I think there is some confusion here; a quote from the compiler's
existing documentation:

: The PL/I-32 projects objective, is to create an ANSI conformant
: PL/I compiler for the Win32 platform. Note the term ANSI in this
: document means ANSI X3.74-1987 a full featured standard for the
: language this should not be confused with the earlier, less
: functional ANSI standard sometimes referred to as Subset G,
: this was ANSI X3.74-1981.

Hopefully this clarifies the target language.

Regards,
-doug quebbeman

Mon, 31 May 2004 21:48:11 GMT

1. Freeware/Public Domain 32-bit Assembler?

2. 80386/486 32-bit Public Domain asm code needed

3. Division 32-Bit/32-Bit with 16-Bit Register

4. Building 32 bit DLL from 32 bit EXE

5. 32 Bit ASM from 32 Bit Windows COBOL

6. 32 Bit ASM from 32 Bit Windows COBOL

7. Calling 32-bit FORTRAN dlls from 32-bit VB

8. top 32 bits of 64-bit product of two 32-bit integers

9. 32-bit ST/V outruns 32-bit ST80 on Intel

10. Seeking public domain copy of IBM Prolog

11. Seeking IBM compatible Smalltalk through public domain channels

12. CW2.003 - 32 Bit Compiler Bug ???