Cobol vs PL/1
Author Message
 Cobol vs PL/1

I am an avid PL/1 fan.  I just hired an avid COBOL fan.  Neither of us have
worked in the other language.  I would appreciate it if someone could point
me to anything on the internet that compares the two languages.

Thanks!

Wed, 10 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Cobol vs PL/1

Quote:

> I am an avid PL/1 fan.  I just hired an avid COBOL fan.  Neither of us have
> worked in the other language.  I would appreciate it if someone could point
> me to anything on the internet that compares the two languages.

My opinion :

COBOL bites hard. I see no advantage to using COBOL over anything.
From what I understand, it's supposed to be quicker than 370 Assembler,
but that's not saying much, and it doesn't really succeed at this
simple task either.
There's a couple of guys in my shop who dig COBOL, and I suppose that's
fine (particularly since they've been at it for 30 or some odd years),
but given any kind of choice (ie available compilers) I'd go for PL/1.

Quote:

--
Bub
#include <sig.h>

Wed, 10 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Cobol vs PL/1
I still generally like PL/1 better, although I've mostly done Cobol. At
least with Cobol II and especially Cobol/370/390 and MicroFocus etc., Cobol
has finally gotten better structured programming support, pointers, nested
(local) procedures, and some pre-defined functions. Who knows, maybe
user-defined functions and recursion might be next! not that I think I'd
trust most Cobol programmers I've met to handle recursion, though. :)

Robert M. Pritchett, President - RMP Consulting Partners LLC

"Quality means doing it right the first time!"
See http://www.headhunter.net/jobstv/0j/j04651mjxt8trch80j.htm?ShowJob
Contractors: tired of hearing "W-2 only"? Join us and let us help you get
that same contract on a 1099 as a self-employed independent contractor!

Quote:

>COBOL bites hard. I see no advantage to using COBOL over anything.
>but given any kind of choice (ie available compilers) I'd go for PL/1.

Wed, 10 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Cobol vs PL/1

Quote:
>I am an avid PL/1 fan.  I just hired an avid COBOL fan.  Neither of us have
>worked in the other language.  I would appreciate it if someone could point
>me to anything on the internet that compares the two languages.

>Thanks!

You didn't mention what platform you are on. If you are talking about OS/390,
then check out our website, www.trainersfriend.com.

Follow the link to Futures. There I describe a new course I am developing that
covers InterProgram Communication within and across Assembler, COBOL,PL/I and C
in the OS/390/LE environment. The course discusses: how to define elementary
items, structures and tables in each of these languages; how to call and be
called, statically and dynamically; the format of Object code; how the linkage
editor and the program binder work, and much more.

Cheers,

Steve Comstock
Telephone: 303-393-8716
www.trainersfriend.com

256-B S. Monaco Parkway
Denver, CO 80224
USA

Thu, 11 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. cobol vs. PL/1

2. COBOL vs. PL/I

3. PL/1 VS COBOL

4. Cobol vs. Pl/1

5. Migrating from OS/VS PL/I to VA PL/I

6. pl/1 vs. PL/I

7. PL/I vs. PL/1

8. VS COBOL II vs. COBOL/370

9. os/vs cobol vs cobol II

10. Q: COBOLII vs COBOL LE vs COBOL

11. New CICS removes Translator support for VS COBOL II (and OS/VS COBOL)

12. OS390/VM Cobol vs VS Cobol?