The correct link has the "www'.
Quote:
> Cheers.

Wed, 14 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 freeware PL/I?

Quote:

> > I'm looking for a freeware/shareware version of a PL/1 compiler to use on a
> > PC.  Anyone know where I can find it?

> I'll finally ask this question which I've been {*filter*} down for some time:
> Has there ever been any interest in creating a GPL'd PL/1?

> > Thanks,
> > --
> > Karen McArthur

> +-------------------->
> | Nick Geovanis            Indeed I tremble for my country when

Digital Research PL/I for DOS is free for non-commercial use.
To obtain a link to it, visit:

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Wed, 21 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 freeware PL/I?

Quote:

>> > I'm looking for a freeware/shareware version of a PL/1 compiler to use on a
>> > PC.  Anyone know where I can find it?

>> I'll finally ask this question which I've been {*filter*} down for some time:
>> Has there ever been any interest in creating a GPL'd PL/1?

>> > Thanks,
>> > --
>> > Karen McArthur

>> +-------------------->
>> | Nick Geovanis            Indeed I tremble for my country when

>Digital Research PL/I for DOS is free for non-commercial use.
>To obtain a link to it, visit:

> http://www.*-*-*.com/

The DRI Dos languages seem to have disappeared from the site. Only
CPM variants are available.

Dave Beck

Sat, 24 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 freeware PL/I?

Quote:

> > > I'm looking for a freeware/shareware version of a PL/1 compiler to use on a
> > > PC.  Anyone know where I can find it?

> > I'll finally ask this question which I've been {*filter*} down for some time:
> > Has there ever been any interest in creating a GPL'd PL/1?

> Digital Research PL/I for DOS is free for non-commercial use.
> To obtain a link to it, visit:

> http://www.*-*-*.com/

I appreciate your help, but my point really was not to find "some" PL/I
compiler (especially not for DOS :-), after all, I have one on an S/390 at
work. Rather, IMO there is virtue in having a freely available,
multiplatform PL/I compiler with its source code. At the very least, this
would make the language available to many for whom it is not now
available. I was just wondering if others felt the same.

+-------------------->
| Nick Geovanis            Indeed I tremble for my country when
| IT Computing Svcs          I reflect that God is just: that his
| Northwestern Univ          justice cannot sleep forever...

Sat, 24 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 freeware PL/I?
I think having a version that can be modified to run on other systems would be
fantastic.

I got badly caught out in the 80's with my job control language replacement language.

It was originally written in PL/I, then I converted it to 370 Asm, then back to PL/I
for Digital Research's PL/I.  I thought DR would keep it up to date, and bring out a
larger memory model, but it never happened.

I also had assumed that IBM would get a PL/I compiler running on DOS quickly, but it
never happened.

I was stuck, and eventually had to convert to C, which took years.  Actually, I
converted to Pascal first, but found that the Pascal Mainframe compilers left a LOT
to be desired.  Incidentally, I think Pascal is a great language - very close to PLi.
Note that the "With ^ Do" construct is similar to PL/I's based storage.

Compared with PL/I, C is nothing, and one of the worst "features" is C string
handling - NOT.

It took about 2 years to convert the 370 Asm to PL/I.
It took about 6 weeks to convert the PL/I to Pascal.
It took about 2 years to convert the Pascal to C - mainly due to problems with
strings, strings and more strings!

So, I am all for it.

Cheers,

Clem Clarke

Quote:

> > > I'll finally ask this question which I've been {*filter*} down for some time:
> > > Has there ever been any interest in creating a GPL'd PL/1?

> > Digital Research PL/I for DOS is free for non-commercial use.
> > To obtain a link to it, visit:

> > http://www.*-*-*.com/

> I appreciate your help, but my point really was not to find "some" PL/I
> compiler (especially not for DOS :-), after all, I have one on an S/390 at
> work. Rather, IMO there is virtue in having a freely available,
> multiplatform PL/I compiler with its source code. At the very least, this
> would make the language available to many for whom it is not now
> available. I was just wondering if others felt the same.

> +-------------------->
> | Nick Geovanis            Indeed I tremble for my country when
> | IT Computing Svcs          I reflect that God is just: that his
> | Northwestern Univ          justice cannot sleep forever...

--

  ,-._|\  Clement V. Clarke - Author Jol, EASYJCL, EASYPANEL, OSCAR, 370TO486

 \_,--.x/ P.O. Box 475, Toorak, Victoria, AUSTRALIA, 3142.
       v  Tel (61)-3-9818-8351, Fax (61)-3-9819-2848.

Sun, 25 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 freeware PL/I?

Quote:

> > > I'll finally ask this question which I've been {*filter*} down for some time:
> > > Has there ever been any interest in creating a GPL'd PL/1?

> > Digital Research PL/I for DOS is free for non-commercial use.
> > To obtain a link to it, visit:

> > http://www.*-*-*.com/

> I appreciate your help, but my point really was not to find "some" PL/I
> compiler (especially not for DOS :-), after all, I have one on an S/390 at
> work. Rather, IMO there is virtue in having a freely available,
> multiplatform PL/I compiler with its source code. At the very least, this
> would make the language available to many for whom it is not now
> available. I was just wondering if others felt the same.

> +-------------------->
> | Nick Geovanis            Indeed I tremble for my country when
> | IT Computing Svcs          I reflect that God is just: that his
> | Northwestern Univ          justice cannot sleep forever...

>>I was just wondering if others felt the same.

I feel the same way. It would be great if one were available.

--
Keith Brown

Fri, 30 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 freeware PL/I?
Quote:

>> I appreciate your help, but my point really was not to find "some" PL/I
>> compiler (especially not for DOS :-), after all, I have one on an S/390
at
>> work. Rather, IMO there is virtue in having a freely available,
>> multiplatform PL/I compiler with its source code. At the very least, this
>> would make the language available to many for whom it is not now
>> available. I was just wondering if others felt the same.

>I feel the same way. It would be great if one were available.

Hear, hear!!! :-)  [I.e., I likewise feel the same way.]
--
"I run to Death, and Death meets me as fast, and all my pleasures are as
yesterday" - John Donne

Fri, 30 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. freeware PL/1?

2. freeware PL/1?

3. FREEWARE: Dalby Source Printer for Clarion is now freeware

4. Freeware announcement: Dalby Source Printer released as freeware

5. Logo Komeniusz PL (Logo Comenius PL)

6. Derivation of PL/I (was Usenet group for PL/M language)

7. Mapping local files to FILE declarations in PL/I with IBM VisualAge PL./I for Windows

8. Difference PL/1 PL/I

9. What is the difference between DEC PL/1 and OS/390 PL/1

10. Initialization Expressions in PL/I (was ANSI PL/I)

11. Migrating from OS/VS PL/I to VA PL/I

12. PL/I FAQ -- Frequently asked questions about PL/I (minor update)