Seeking Advice on PL/I Options
Author Message
 Seeking Advice on PL/I Options

If you can offer advice regarding available PL/I products and options for
porting PL/I code from the IBM VM/CMS environment to either MVS or to a IBM
compatible PC based solution please read on.

Our company has several financial models written in PL/I during the early to
mid-1980's that have served us quite well.  They are decendents of the
Planmetrics GPOS (General Purpose Operating System) environment and produce
10 year financial projections - income statements, balance sheets, cash
flows, financial ratios & statistics, etc.)

Our company has recently committed to implementing its decision to eliminate
VM/CMS support under our mainframe oursource contract by early 1999 (any
users requiring support through mid-1999 would bear the full cost of the
licensing which runs about $27k per month).  With these Y2K and licensing
issues, I am faced with seeking alternatives.

One alternative would be to port and recompile our models to the MVS
environment (our company has PL/I compiler licenses for MVS or so it says).
Another option is to port them to a PC based PL/I environment. The longer
term solution is to rewrite the models or at least put a Windows GUI front
end on them.

I know that Digital Research (which I believe has been taken over or sold)
had a PC based PL/I product in the late 1980's.  Can anyone tell me what
happened to that product and/or what's out there that might offer me a
viable solution?  I saw a reference to an IBM VisualAge product for PL/I in
another post.  Is that something I should consider?  Other ideas or
suggestions???  Thanks.

Bob

Sat, 27 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Seeking Advice on PL/I Options
Robert,
the Digital compiler is now available more-or-less for free
but there is no support.
The Visual Age Windows compiler is very good
it does not have a screen painter, but you could
write your 'front end' in something more appropriate
and call PLI dlls
Clement McGann
- -

Quote:
>If you can offer advice regarding available PL/I products and options for
>porting PL/I code from the IBM VM/CMS environment to either MVS or to a IBM
>compatible PC based solution please read on.

>Our company has several financial models written in PL/I during the early to
>mid-1980's that have served us quite well.  They are decendents of the
>Planmetrics GPOS (General Purpose Operating System) environment and produce
>10 year financial projections - income statements, balance sheets, cash
>flows, financial ratios & statistics, etc.)

>Our company has recently committed to implementing its decision to eliminate
>VM/CMS support under our mainframe oursource contract by early 1999 (any
>users requiring support through mid-1999 would bear the full cost of the
>licensing which runs about $27k per month).  With these Y2K and licensing
>issues, I am faced with seeking alternatives.

>One alternative would be to port and recompile our models to the MVS
>environment (our company has PL/I compiler licenses for MVS or so it says).
>Another option is to port them to a PC based PL/I environment. The longer
>term solution is to rewrite the models or at least put a Windows GUI front
>end on them.

>I know that Digital Research (which I believe has been taken over or sold)
>had a PC based PL/I product in the late 1980's.  Can anyone tell me what
>happened to that product and/or what's out there that might offer me a
>viable solution?  I saw a reference to an IBM VisualAge product for PL/I in
>another post.  Is that something I should consider?  Other ideas or
>suggestions???  Thanks.

>Bob

Sun, 28 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Seeking Advice on PL/I Options
Of course, the OS/2 compiler comes with what appears to be a fairly good
GUI builder.
--------
Quote:

> Robert,
> the Digital compiler is now available more-or-less for free
> but there is no support.
> The Visual Age Windows compiler is very good
> it does not have a screen painter, but you could
> write your 'front end' in something more appropriate
> and call PLI dlls
> Clement McGann
> - -

> >If you can offer advice regarding available PL/I products and options for
> >porting PL/I code from the IBM VM/CMS environment to either MVS or to a IBM
> >compatible PC based solution please read on.

> >Our company has several financial models written in PL/I during the early to
> >mid-1980's that have served us quite well.  They are decendents of the
> >Planmetrics GPOS (General Purpose Operating System) environment and produce
> >10 year financial projections - income statements, balance sheets, cash
> >flows, financial ratios & statistics, etc.)

> >Our company has recently committed to implementing its decision to eliminate
> >VM/CMS support under our mainframe oursource contract by early 1999 (any
> >users requiring support through mid-1999 would bear the full cost of the
> >licensing which runs about $27k per month).  With these Y2K and licensing
> >issues, I am faced with seeking alternatives.

> >One alternative would be to port and recompile our models to the MVS
> >environment (our company has PL/I compiler licenses for MVS or so it says).
> >Another option is to port them to a PC based PL/I environment. The longer
> >term solution is to rewrite the models or at least put a Windows GUI front
> >end on them.

> >I know that Digital Research (which I believe has been taken over or sold)
> >had a PC based PL/I product in the late 1980's.  Can anyone tell me what
> >happened to that product and/or what's out there that might offer me a
> >viable solution?  I saw a reference to an IBM VisualAge product for PL/I in
> >another post.  Is that something I should consider?  Other ideas or
> >suggestions???  Thanks.

> >Bob

Mon, 29 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Advice on Sun F90 optimization options

2. Need advice on Database options

3. seek advice on mac vs 486 for apl

4. Interpreter advice sought.

5. Advice to Companies Seeking Consultants

6. Advice sought...

7. Advice sought on selling Source & Copyright

8. A complaint from Colin James III - advice sought

9. Seeking advice!

10. Seeking advice...

11. New Micros 68HC11 Advice Sought

12. Student seeks advice from FORTH community