PL/I to Cobol Conversions
Author Message
 PL/I to Cobol Conversions

I'm looking information on conversion tools/utilities which will take PL/1
source code and convert it to Cobol. I could probably create one myself but
why reinvent the wheel.

Anyone know of a tool(s) available?

Any help is appreciated.

Please respond directly to:

Wed, 17 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I to Cobol Conversions
Doug,
Quarts won't fit in pints, in short
there are things that you can do in PLI which you can't do in Cobol
and very few things which you can do in Cobol which you can't do in
PLI ( possibly Cobol report writer)
PLI evolved from Cobol (and others)
So, you can't really convert PLI to Cobol
and why would you want to take such a backward step?
(unless you are from Oracle)   ;)
Clement McGann
On Sat, 29 Jan 2000 06:07:54 GMT, "Doug Brannick"
Quote:

>I'm looking information on conversion tools/utilities which will take PL/1
>source code and convert it to Cobol. I could probably create one myself but
>why reinvent the wheel.

>Anyone know of a tool(s) available?

>Any help is appreciated.

>Please respond directly to:

Wed, 17 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I to Cobol Conversions

Quote:

> So, you can't really convert PLI to Cobol

Oh REALLY?  I converted 300+ programs written in PL/I to COBOL in about 1 1/2
years.  Some of the programs were badly structured in PL/I, and I rewrote them
in structured COBOL.  Many of them used the PL/I version of ALTER/GO TO, the
LABEL variable.  Those were a real thrill(!).  PL/I, like any other language can
be written with spaghetti code, and I've seen lots!

Bill Reed

Wed, 17 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I to Cobol Conversions

Quote:

> > So, you can't really convert PLI to Cobol

> Oh REALLY?  I converted 300+ programs written in PL/I to COBOL in about 1 1/2
> years.

Might have been more profitable to perform a simple restructure
of the PL/I code, for which there are tools available.
Quote:
> Some of the programs were badly structured in PL/I, and I rewrote them
> in structured COBOL.  Many of them used the PL/I version of ALTER/GO TO, the
> LABEL variable.  Those were a real thrill(!).  PL/I, like any other language can
> be written with spaghetti code, and I've seen lots!
> Bill Reed

Wed, 17 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I to Cobol Conversions

Quote:
Doug Brannick writes...
>I'm looking information on conversion tools/utilities which will take PL/1
>source code and convert it to Cobol.

This is not a simple process.

Quote:
>I could probably create one myself but
>why reinvent the wheel.

Now there's confidence. And what will you do with constructs for which there
are no COBOL equivalent (many builtin functions, ON conditions, on and on)?

Quote:
>Anyone know of a tool(s) available?

>Any help is appreciated.

I'm not aware of any tools available, but I am aware of the difficulties. Even
if there are tools available, there will be a lot of manual tweaking needed.

At the very least, be very precise on the level of PL/I compiler you are using
and the version of COBOL compiler you want to use.

Regards,

Steve Comstock
Telephone: 303-393-8716
www.trainersfriend.com

256-B S. Monaco Parkway
Denver, CO 80224
USA

Thu, 18 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I to Cobol Conversions
Doug

Bill wants a job
and good luck to him

- - -
On Sat, 29 Jan 2000 15:14:16 -0600, William Reed

Quote:

>>Doug,
>>Quarts won't fit in pints, in short
>>there are things that you can do in PLI which you can't do in Cobol
>>and very few things which you can do in Cobol which you can't do in
>>PLI ( possibly Cobol report writer)
>>PLI evolved from Cobol (and others)
>> So, you can't really convert PLI to Cobol

>Oh REALLY?  I converted 300+ programs written in PL/I to COBOL in about 1 1/2
>years.  Some of the programs were badly structured in PL/I, and I rewrote them
>in structured COBOL.  Many of them used the PL/I version of ALTER/GO TO, the
>LABEL variable.  Those were a real thrill(!).  PL/I, like any other language can
>be written with spaghetti code, and I've seen lots!

>Bill Reed

Thu, 18 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I to Cobol Conversions
It does appear that I've at least gotten some response back and I really
appreciate the feedback but I now feel that I need to disclose some of my
reasons for this effort.

We are part of a migration services group that provides conversion services
to our customers on a worldwide basis. I have written tools to convert Cobol
and other 4GL programs (utilizing VSAM/Indexed RMS and Cincom's TOTAL/SUPRA
call structures) to open SQL environments (ORACLE, DB/2, etc.) My process is
a complete turn key solution where as I convert all the programs, copybooks,
DCL/JCL, data, etc from the old legacy environment to the create the new SQL
environment. Typically this has been in the VMS to UNIX areas.

The PL/1 issue is something new in that one of our customers wants to move
all their programs to ORACLE and as Clement pointed out, Oracle is claiming
that they are not going to support a PRO*PL/1 compiler. SO, this is the main
driving force. Rather than rewrite the code from scratch (which would take
longer than the customer has as there are several hundred programs), they
have turned to us to see if an automated process is available or can be
developed. As someone in the responses pointed out, not all constructs can
be handled easily and we react to those on an exception basis. And if we got
a 100% conversion of a program, well, that would be too optimistic. We shoot
for 70-80% of any conversion with the remaining issues handled manually
during program compilation, testing, etc.

Believe it or not, there are several companies out there who say they do
this type of conversion. However, they may be too costly of a solution and
they may not have any real world experiences or their solutions or too dated
for us.

Since I haven't played with PL/1 for over 20 years, I had hoped that I might
learn something from your knowledge which is more recent than mine to help
me along.

I know this was a lengthy reply but I appreciate your information.

Quote:
> I'm looking information on conversion tools/utilities which will take PL/1
> source code and convert it to Cobol. I could probably create one myself
but
> why reinvent the wheel.

> Anyone know of a tool(s) available?

> Any help is appreciated.

> Please respond directly to:

Thu, 18 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I to Cobol Conversions
Would it not be more efficient to look for, or even create a
PL/I SQL to ORACLE Gateway ? ORACLE's SQL is
ANSI compliant and PL/I should it be as well. It depends from
the number of programs and the acceptance of a little loss of performance

Markus Loew.
Oracle is claiming
that they are not going to support a PRO*PL/1 compiler.

Fri, 19 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I to Cobol Conversions
I agree with Markus (see below). It would be FAR FAR easier to write a
3rd-party implementation of Pro*PL/I than to write a program to convert PL/I
to COBOL. The Oracle precompilers really don't do that much for you. The
precompiler's input language is just a sugaring for the normal library calls
and associated data types. I can't believe that it would be all that
complicated to write your own version of Oracle's Pro*PL/I. You would have
to give it a different name, of course. And I suppose that there might be
legal issues. But technically, this would be the simplest approach. You
wouldn't have to modify hundreds of perfectly-working programs. I don't even
think that Oracle wrote the original Pro*PL/I precompiler. I think we wrote
it for them at Stratus back in the late 1980s. You might even ask Oracle if
you could license the source code for it, and then make your own
modifications to have it work with Oracle 8i. You might ask Oracle if you
can fund the work to upgrade it; that might be cheaper than any of these
other solutions.

To a hammer, everthing looks like a nail. I guess to a conversion service,
every problem can be solved through source-language conversion.

PG

Quote:

>Would it not be more efficient to look for, or even create a
>PL/I SQL to ORACLE Gateway ? ORACLE's SQL is
>ANSI compliant and PL/I should it be as well. It depends from
>the number of programs and the acceptance of a little loss of performance

>Markus Loew.
>Oracle is claiming
>that they are not going to support a PRO*PL/1 compiler.

Fri, 19 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I to Cobol Conversions

Quote:

> ...very few things which you can do in Cobol which you can't do in
> PLI ( possibly Cobol report writer)

There's been a Macro equivalent to the Report Writer floating around as
freeware since the 60's.

--
-John W. Kennedy

Compact is becoming contract
Man only earns and pays.  -- Charles Williams

Fri, 19 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I to Cobol Conversions
ok, we are now talking about Oracle 8.
Some people use Pro*PL/I from oracle (including yours truly)
Others use VA PL/I (see Mark Yudkin's post)
but neither will work with Oracle 8   :((
[there is a m{*filter*}in this story somewhere]
It seems that Oracle 8 is a different beast to previous Oracles
and support for Oracle 7 ceases Dec 2000
Even the C programmers are moving away from Pro*C/C++ to OCI
So, perhaps, the solution is for PL/I to mimic C and use OCI calls
OCI are just calls - really APIs - the SQL is in a character string
and to is passed as a string to this OCI
over in the Oracle forums, it is claimed to be up to three times
faster
So, perhaps, we should try it.
The character strings need to be of the C type, with a traing LOW(1)
- - -
I'm away in the uk for the rest of the week -
but there is a commercial opportunity for some outfit here
- -
Clement McGann

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000 13:00:36 -0500, "Paul Green"

Quote:

>I agree with Markus (see below). It would be FAR FAR easier to write a
>3rd-party implementation of Pro*PL/I than to write a program to convert PL/I
>to COBOL. The Oracle precompilers really don't do that much for you. The
>precompiler's input language is just a sugaring for the normal library calls
>and associated data types. I can't believe that it would be all that
>complicated to write your own version of Oracle's Pro*PL/I. You would have
>to give it a different name, of course. And I suppose that there might be
>legal issues. But technically, this would be the simplest approach. You
>wouldn't have to modify hundreds of perfectly-working programs. I don't even
>think that Oracle wrote the original Pro*PL/I precompiler. I think we wrote
>it for them at Stratus back in the late 1980s. You might even ask Oracle if
>you could license the source code for it, and then make your own
>modifications to have it work with Oracle 8i. You might ask Oracle if you
>can fund the work to upgrade it; that might be cheaper than any of these
>other solutions.

>To a hammer, everthing looks like a nail. I guess to a conversion service,
>every problem can be solved through source-language conversion.

>PG

>>Would it not be more efficient to look for, or even create a
>>PL/I SQL to ORACLE Gateway ? ORACLE's SQL is
>>ANSI compliant and PL/I should it be as well. It depends from
>>the number of programs and the acceptance of a little loss of performance

>>Markus Loew.
>>---------------------------------------------
>>Oracle is claiming
>>that they are not going to support a PRO*PL/1 compiler.

Fri, 19 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I to Cobol Conversions
As I already indicated in the "Oracle" question, all we need is a business
case for IBM.
The more I read the posts here, the more convinced I am that it should be
possible to create one.
Why don't we work on _that_ issue, and thus get IBM to add Oracle support
for VA PL/I.
They already have it for DB2...

Quote:
> I agree with Markus (see below). It would be FAR FAR easier to write a
> 3rd-party implementation of Pro*PL/I than to write a program to convert
PL/I
> to COBOL. The Oracle precompilers really don't do that much for you. The
> precompiler's input language is just a sugaring for the normal library
calls
> and associated data types. I can't believe that it would be all that
> complicated to write your own version of Oracle's Pro*PL/I. You would have
> to give it a different name, of course. And I suppose that there might be
> legal issues. But technically, this would be the simplest approach. You
> wouldn't have to modify hundreds of perfectly-working programs. I don't
even
> think that Oracle wrote the original Pro*PL/I precompiler. I think we
wrote
> it for them at Stratus back in the late 1980s. You might even ask Oracle
if
> you could license the source code for it, and then make your own
> modifications to have it work with Oracle 8i. You might ask Oracle if you
> can fund the work to upgrade it; that might be cheaper than any of these
> other solutions.

> To a hammer, everthing looks like a nail. I guess to a conversion service,
> every problem can be solved through source-language conversion.

> PG

> >Would it not be more efficient to look for, or even create a
> >PL/I SQL to ORACLE Gateway ? ORACLE's SQL is
> >ANSI compliant and PL/I should it be as well. It depends from
> >the number of programs and the acceptance of a little loss of performance

> >Markus Loew.
> >---------------------------------------------
> >Oracle is claiming
> >that they are not going to support a PRO*PL/1 compiler.

Sun, 21 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I to Cobol Conversions

Quote:

> As I already indicated in the "Oracle" question, all we need is a business
> case for IBM.
> The more I read the posts here, the more convinced I am that it should be
> possible to create one.
> Why don't we work on _that_ issue, and thus get IBM to add Oracle support
> for VA PL/I.
> They already have it for DB2...

Where can I get info regarding PL/I precompiler for DB2 SQL (OS/390)?
TIA for any info anyone can provide.

Sun, 21 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I to Cobol Conversions
For DB2 for MVS / OS/390, in the DB2 for MVS / OS/390 manuals, in particular
the application programming guide. Covers all of the standard supported
languages (PL/I, Cobol, C, fortran).
For VA PL/I for OS/390, also in the VA PL/I for OS/390 programming guide.

Quote:

> > As I already indicated in the "Oracle" question, all we need is a
business
> > case for IBM.
> > The more I read the posts here, the more convinced I am that it should
be
> > possible to create one.
> > Why don't we work on _that_ issue, and thus get IBM to add Oracle
support
> > for VA PL/I.
> > They already have it for DB2...

> Where can I get info regarding PL/I precompiler for DB2 SQL (OS/390)?
> TIA for any info anyone can provide.

Tue, 23 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. PL/I to COBOL conversion

2. PL/I to COBOL conversion

3. AUTOMATED TOOL FOR PL/1 - COBOL CONVERSION

4. Question about RM/COBOL and PL/COBOL compatibility.

5. tandem COBOL to IBM Mainframe MVS COBOL Conversion

6. COBOL to COBOL II Conversion

7. US*NC COBOL/COBOL II Conversion

8. VS COBOL II to COBOL/400 conversion query

9. R/M COBOL 85 to COBOL-WOW Conversion

10. COBOL-68 to COBOL-85 conversion

11. MF VS/Cobol to Cobol II/370 Conversion?

12. Info/Advice needed on IBM Cobol 2 to MF Unix Cobol conversion