PL/1 programmer position available
Author Message
 PL/1 programmer position available

Quote:
> Preferably you
> will have PL/1, but if you know COBOL, then we will teach you all that
> you need to know.

Which is easier to learn? (PL/1 or COBOL) -- Interesting that they all said
"we will teach you PL/1 if you know COBOL".
What is the learning curve for "PL/1"er  to "COBOL"er?   vs.  "COBOL"er to
"PL/1"er?

Quote:

> Position vacant:

> We need an Analyst Programmer with 3 years plus of  IMS and DB/2 to
> work on a stable legacy platform in upstate New York. Preferably you
> will have PL/1, but if you know COBOL, then we will teach you all that
> you need to know.

> Competitive salary, great benefits, H1-B and eventually permanent
> residence ("green card") sponsorship available from one of the US's
> fastest growing IT companies.  Easygoing, friendly team. Located in
> one of the most picturesque and multicultural towns in America, this
> is a great opportunity. There is potential to get into e-commerce ,
> and there is access to an Ivy League college.

> And if you don't believe management, just speak to the existing staff
> here.  One of them wrote this!

> Please send resume in text form (no attachments please) to pwgilchrist
> at nyseg.com

Sat, 05 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
[...]

Sun, 06 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/1 programmer position available

Quote:

>> Preferably you
>> will have PL/1, but if you know COBOL, then we will teach you all that
>> you need to know.

>Which is easier to learn? (PL/1 or COBOL) -- Interesting that they all said
>"we will teach you PL/1 if you know COBOL".
>What is the learning curve for "PL/1"er  to "COBOL"er?   vs.  "COBOL"er to
>"PL/1"er?

It's all syntax (Jeez, Louise, there's a tax on _everything_!).  The problem
is that if you write PL/1, going to COBOL is like being sent to prison: tasks
that you could knock off in 20 PL/1 lines you're still hammering at line 450.

So, it's not the learning curve; it's the air-sick bags...

Frank Clarke
Tampa Area REXX Programmers' Alliance (TARPA)
Member of the REXX Language Assn
  Join us at http://www.rexxla.org
(remove currency symbol when replying)

Sun, 06 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/1 programmer position available

Quote:

> > Preferably you
> > will have PL/1, but if you know COBOL, then we will teach you all that
> > you need to know.

> Which is easier to learn? (PL/1 or COBOL) -- Interesting that they all said
> "we will teach you PL/1 if you know COBOL".

There are a lot more COBOL programmers out there than PL/I jockeys -
they may not have much choice.

Back in the 60's IBM had a couple of redbooks "PL/I for fortran
programmers" and "PL/I for COBOL programmers".  It's trivial to write
PL/I "FORTRAN-like" or "COBOL-like" code.  It's much harder to do the
reverse.

Sun, 06 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/1 programmer position available

Quote:

> Back in the 60's IBM had a couple of redbooks "PL/I for FORTRAN
> programmers" and "PL/I for COBOL programmers".  It's trivial to write
> PL/I "FORTRAN-like" or "COBOL-like" code.  It's much harder to do the
> reverse.

Well, methinks it's trivial to write _wretched_ PL/1 "FORTRAN-like" or
"COBOL-like" code.  I've seen PL/1 code written by COBOL'ers, etc.,
that spend more execution time doing data conversion instead of
data processing...

You Need To Know The Language.

Jonesy
MainFrame IBM since 1966

--
Marvin L. Jones  jonz<AT>rmi.net
Gunnison, Colorado

Sun, 06 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/1 programmer position available

Quote:
> > Preferably you
> > will have PL/1, but if you know COBOL, then we will teach you all
that
> > you need to know.

> Which is easier to learn? (PL/1 or COBOL) -- Interesting that they all
said
> "we will teach you PL/1 if you know COBOL".
> What is the learning curve for "PL/1"er  to "COBOL"er?   vs.
"COBOL"er to
> "PL/1"er?

It's pretty straight-forward. If you know PL/1, learning
COBOL is learning what you can no longer do. If you
know COBOL, learning PL/1 is learning you can do
anything.

hth
Pjk

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Sun, 06 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/1 programmer position available

Quote:

> Well, methinks it's trivial to write _wretched_ PL/1 "FORTRAN-like" or
> "COBOL-like" code.  I've seen PL/1 code written by COBOL'ers, etc.,
> that spend more execution time doing data conversion instead of
> data processing...

> You Need To Know The Language.

Yessir.
I think just that implicit feature of PL/I has contributed to a bit of bad
reputation.
(or rather the folks mis-using it, that is.)

Quote:
> Jonesy
> MainFrame IBM since 1966

> --
> Marvin L. Jones  jonz<AT>rmi.net
> Gunnison, Colorado
> 163 days to go until the Year 2000 -- So what!
> 529 days to go until the 3rd Millennium of the C.E.

Sure your countdown is correct?
If you post a message on dec. 31, will it say "1 day to go" or "0 days to
go"?

Gunnar.

Sun, 06 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/1 programmer position available

Quote:

> Sure your countdown is correct?
> If you post a message on dec. 31, will it say "1 day to go" or "0 days to
> go"?

Well -- it's "relativistic".
When posting at noon on Dec 31,
will I have a whole day "to go"?    No...  I'll have a partial day.
Will I have zero days left?         No...  I'll have a partial day.
Will anyone read it...

Probably in late October I'll change my REXX script to display
"nn,nnn minutes to go..."
Let{*filter*} Clark sort it out...

Jonesy
MainFrame since The Green Card

--
Marvin L. Jones  jonz<AT>rmi.net
Gunnison, Colorado
163 days to go until the Year 2000 -- So what!
529 days to go until the 3rd Millennium of the C.E.

Sun, 06 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. PL/1 Analyst/Programmer Required for UK and Indian based Position

2. PL/1 Analyst/Programmer Required for UK and Indian based Position

3. PL/1 Application Programmer Position

4. Java and PL/SQL Programmer available perm or contract

5. PL/I programmer available

6. Jobs available for PL/1 Programmers

7. Jobs available for PL/1 programmers

8. APL programmer positions available in NYC

9. Haskell programmer position available at Yale

10. POSITIONS AVAILABLE: SCULPTOR PROGRAMMERS

11. Lisp programmer position available (repost)

12. More Positions Available for Python Game Programmers (fwd)