PL/I Compiler... 
Author Message
 PL/I Compiler...

Hi Everyone!

I started to learn PL/I two weeks ago. I have some books about it, but I
haven,t got compiler for PC. Could anyone tell me where can I get it from?
Is there any URL address or FTP address with PL/I Compiler?



Mon, 03 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 PL/I Compiler...
Quote:

> I started to learn PL/I two weeks ago. I have some books about it, but I
> haven,t got compiler for PC. Could anyone tell me where can I get it from?
> Is there any URL address or FTP address with PL/I Compiler?

DOS PL/I compiler (old subset) is available free for non-commercial use.

You can order and download IBM Personal PL/I un the U.S.A., cost is $115.

To start, visit http://www.users.bigpond.com/robin_v/resource.htm



Mon, 03 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 PL/I Compiler...
Try the IBM PL/I home page: http://www.software.ibm.com/ad/pli/

IBM VA PL/I is expensive, but IBM are talking about making a subset
available at a more affordable price. The current Personal Edition that you
can buy on the Web is very very old. It's OK for learning PL/I, but not for
coding real applications.

Quote:

>Hi Everyone!

>I started to learn PL/I two weeks ago. I have some books about it, but I
>haven,t got compiler for PC. Could anyone tell me where can I get it from?
>Is there any URL address or FTP address with PL/I Compiler?



Tue, 04 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 PL/I Compiler...

Quote:

> IBM VA PL/I is expensive, but IBM are talking about making a subset
> available at a more affordable price. The current Personal Edition that you
> can buy on the Web is very very old. It's OK for learning PL/I, but not for
> coding real applications.

On the contrary, the Personal PL/I is recent; It is the version before
VA PL/I, and has everything except the Millennium Language Extensions,
and some of the mainframe stuff that has never been part of the personal
edition.

The compiler is robust, having gone through about 6 updates
from when it was first released.

Personal PL/I is VERY DEFINITELY suitable for coding
"real" applications.

Quote:

> >Hi Everyone!

> >I started to learn PL/I two weeks ago. I have some books about it, but I
> >haven,t got compiler for PC. Could anyone tell me where can I get it from?
> >Is there any URL address or FTP address with PL/I Compiler?



Tue, 04 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 PL/I Compiler...

Quote:
>Subject: Re: PL/I Compiler...

>Date: 3/19/99 5:42 PM Central Standard Time


>http://www.software.ibm.com/ad/pli/

>> IBM VA PL/I is expensive, but IBM are talking about making a subset
>> available at a more affordable price. The current Personal Edition that you
>> can buy on the Web is very very old. It's OK for learning PL/I, but not for
>> coding real applications.

>On the contrary, the Personal PL/I is recent; It is the version before
>VA PL/I, and has everything except the Millennium Language Extensions,
>and some of the mainframe stuff that has never been part of the personal
>edition.

>The compiler is robust, having gone through about 6 updates
>from when it was first released.

>Personal PL/I is VERY DEFINITELY suitable for coding
>"real" applications.


>> >Hi Everyone!

>> >I started to learn PL/I two weeks ago. I have some books about it, but I
>> >haven,t got compiler for PC. Could anyone tell me where can I get it from?
>> >Is there any URL address or FTP address with PL/I Compiler?

Where is this mythical Personal PL/I still sold? Does it run on Win 95/98?


Wed, 05 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 PL/I Compiler...
You can get to the Personal PL/I pages, including ordering, from the URL
(http://www.software.ibm.com/ad/pli/) I gave. Just select Personal PL/I from
there.

And I maintain that Robin is wrong and that you cannot write real
applications (meaning using Windowing code, access base OS function, etc.) .
for the simple reason that the necessary function was not added until VA
PL/I, and moreover some serious problems were not fixed until much later
than the original VA release. I am speaking from experience (and some of
those problems were reported by me to the lab). If Robin means "Real" in the
sense of not requiring any access to OS functionality, then it can be done
from Personal PL/I. But I've yet to meet an application that meets
commercial requirements that lives within that restriction.

Quote:

>>Subject: Re: PL/I Compiler...

>>Date: 3/19/99 5:42 PM Central Standard Time


>>http://www.software.ibm.com/ad/pli/

>>> IBM VA PL/I is expensive, but IBM are talking about making a subset
>>> available at a more affordable price. The current Personal Edition that
you
>>> can buy on the Web is very very old. It's OK for learning PL/I, but not
for
>>> coding real applications.

>>On the contrary, the Personal PL/I is recent; It is the version before
>>VA PL/I, and has everything except the Millennium Language Extensions,
>>and some of the mainframe stuff that has never been part of the personal
>>edition.

>>The compiler is robust, having gone through about 6 updates
>>from when it was first released.

>>Personal PL/I is VERY DEFINITELY suitable for coding
>>"real" applications.

>Where is this mythical Personal PL/I still sold? Does it run on Win 95/98?



Thu, 06 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 PL/I Compiler...

Quote:

>You can get to the Personal PL/I pages, including ordering, from the URL
>(http://www.software.ibm.com/ad/pli/) I gave. Just select Personal PL/I from
>there.

[snip]

could the personal PL/1 be used to handle multiple network connections,
ie, to wrote a server accessed over the internet by multiple people?



Thu, 06 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 PL/I Compiler...
Robin and I have a disagreement here.

It depends. Do you need access to the Win32 API (e.g. services, WinInet)? If
so, the answer is a definite no (although Robin may well disagree). For VA
PL/I the answer is I've done it, so yes.

Quote:



>>You can get to the Personal PL/I pages, including ordering, from the URL
>>(http://www.software.ibm.com/ad/pli/) I gave. Just select Personal PL/I
from
>>there.

>[snip]

>could the personal PL/1 be used to handle multiple network connections,
>ie, to wrote a server accessed over the internet by multiple people?



Tue, 11 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 PL/I Compiler...
I was thinking of running the program in a client server mode where the
PL/1 program did all the real work and allowed 'telnet' connections to
allow interactive access to the PL/1 program which would then do all
the file I/O and processing with the connections just doing display.


Quote:

>Robin and I have a disagreement here.

>It depends. Do you need access to the Win32 API (e.g. services, WinInet)? If
>so, the answer is a definite no (although Robin may well disagree). For VA
>PL/I the answer is I've done it, so yes.




>>>You can get to the Personal PL/I pages, including ordering, from the URL
>>>(http://www.software.ibm.com/ad/pli/) I gave. Just select Personal PL/I
>from
>>>there.

>>[snip]

>>could the personal PL/1 be used to handle multiple network connections,
>>ie, to wrote a server accessed over the internet by multiple people?



Wed, 12 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 PL/I Compiler...
You may be able to do this using Personal PL/I. I wouldn't. Personal PL/I is
not supported and IMHO there are too many problems.

OTOH, I probably wouldn't do Telnet style C/S either (users don't like it).
I'd probably try and stick it behind a web browser.

Quote:

>I was thinking of running the program in a client server mode where the
>PL/1 program did all the real work and allowed 'telnet' connections to
>allow interactive access to the PL/1 program which would then do all
>the file I/O and processing with the connections just doing display.



>>Robin and I have a disagreement here.

>>It depends. Do you need access to the Win32 API (e.g. services, WinInet)?
If
>>so, the answer is a definite no (although Robin may well disagree). For VA
>>PL/I the answer is I've done it, so yes.




>>>>You can get to the Personal PL/I pages, including ordering, from the URL
>>>>(http://www.software.ibm.com/ad/pli/) I gave. Just select Personal PL/I
>>from
>>>>there.

>>>[snip]

>>>could the personal PL/1 be used to handle multiple network connections,
>>>ie, to wrote a server accessed over the internet by multiple people?



Sun, 16 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 PL/I Compiler...
This is for an internal admin programming for ISP billing.  Since I may
have to access this remotly with perhaps a 300 baud connection dependong
on phone lines, etc.  I don't want to wait several minutes for a screen
to load, I need something fast that works.  I can get vt100 or compatable
terminal emulation alot easier then something that runs a web browser
as well.

I also happen to hate web interfaces, though it may just be the ones
I've seen so far were always worse then the plain text ones I've used
in the past.


Quote:

>You may be able to do this using Personal PL/I. I wouldn't. Personal PL/I is
>not supported and IMHO there are too many problems.

>OTOH, I probably wouldn't do Telnet style C/S either (users don't like it).
>I'd probably try and stick it behind a web browser.


>>I was thinking of running the program in a client server mode where the
>>PL/1 program did all the real work and allowed 'telnet' connections to
>>allow interactive access to the PL/1 program which would then do all
>>the file I/O and processing with the connections just doing display.



>>>Robin and I have a disagreement here.

>>>It depends. Do you need access to the Win32 API (e.g. services, WinInet)?
>If
>>>so, the answer is a definite no (although Robin may well disagree). For VA
>>>PL/I the answer is I've done it, so yes.




>>>>>You can get to the Personal PL/I pages, including ordering, from the URL
>>>>>(http://www.software.ibm.com/ad/pli/) I gave. Just select Personal PL/I
>>>from
>>>>>there.

>>>>[snip]

>>>>could the personal PL/1 be used to handle multiple network connections,
>>>>ie, to wrote a server accessed over the internet by multiple people?



Mon, 17 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 11 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. PL/I (was: IBM Needs to seed the PL/I Compiler)

2. PL/I compiler wanted!!

3. PL/I Compiler Vendors wanted

4. PL/I compiler/info?

5. PL/1 compiler for DOS/WIN/OS2 ?

6. Current IBM PL/I compilers

7. Open Source PL/1 Compilers?

8. New PL/I Compiler announced today

9. PL/CT Compiler. Cross-posted from PL1-L

10. Query Re OS/2 2.1 Beta Developer Edition PL/I Compiler

11. looking for a PL/I compiler for 386+ in MSDOS or NT-DOS

12. Seeking Talented Programmers to Implement Public Domain 32-Bit PL/I Compiler

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software