PL/1 Research
Author Message
 PL/1 Research

        I am a student at Boise State University in Boise, ID.  I am taking a
class on programming languages, and I'm doing research for a paper on PL/1.
 I am trying to find information relating to the evolution of PL/1 as a
language.  Specifically, information on the following would be very useful:
*  key dates in the evolution of PL/1 - i.e. when significant new features
were added to the language and what those enhancements were
*  dates when various operating systems or CPU platforms were supported.
*  dates when various versions of the compiler were supported (optimizing
compiler, checkout compiler, PL/S, PL/C etc)
*  a list of the currently supported dialects of PL/1.
*  any information related to object oriented versions of PL/1.  I have
read a couple of papers published on this subject, but don't know if they
referenced a hypothetical language spec or if an actual compiler exists.
Does anyone know??

If you can supply any of this information directly or if you can point me
in the right direction for reference information, I would greatly
appreciate your help.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Sincerely,
Bill Gray

Mon, 10 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/1 Research

Bill, look at PL/1 Frequently Asked Questions posted by Robin Vowels in
this newsgroup.
--
                           Regards
                 The Man in Spectacles

Please remove -nematode- from the email address before replying

Solicitations to me must be pre-approved in writing by me after solicitor
pays $1000 US per incident.  Solicitations sent to me are proof that you
accept this notice and will send a certified check forthwith.

Mon, 10 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/1 Research

Quote:

> *  key dates in the evolution of PL/1 - i.e. when significant new features
> were added to the language and what those enhancements were
> *  dates when various operating systems or CPU platforms were supported.

I first used PL/I (note: it is an "eye" not a "one") in 1972 on
OS/360-PCP. It probably showed up in 1965 or shortly thereafter.

In 1980 I was coding PL/I ANSI subset G running on CP/M (an 8-bit
computer with a whopping 64k of real storage). The same source code was
running on PC-DOS, MS-DOS, CP/M-86, Concurrent CP/M-86. My application
was utilizing 8 overlays.

Quote:
> *  dates when various versions of the compiler were supported (optimizing
> compiler, checkout compiler, PL/S, PL/C etc)

I don't believe that PL/S is a derivative of PL/I. For one, they have
different syntax for the substring function. PL/S2, PL/S3, PL/AS and
PL/X are derivitives of PL/S.

Quote:
> *  a list of the currently supported dialects of PL/1.
> *  any information related to object oriented versions of PL/1.  I have
> read a couple of papers published on this subject, but don't know if they
> referenced a hypothetical language spec or if an actual compiler exists.
> Does anyone know??

> If you can supply any of this information directly or if you can point me
> in the right direction for reference information, I would greatly
> appreciate your help.

> Thanks for any help you can give.
> Sincerely,
> Bill Gray

I would be interested in seeing a copy of your finished work if it is
publicly available.

--

Beyond Software, Inc.      http://www.beyond-software.com
"Transforming Legacy Applications"

Mon, 10 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/1 Research

Quote:

>The same year, IBM came out with the PL/I Checkout Compiler. This was
>the exact opposite of the Optimizing Compiler, in that the generated
>code ran very slowly, but it found all kinds of coding problems.... The
>idea was to use the checkout compiler for unit testing, then switch to
>the Optimizing Compiler for subsequent test phases. I don't remember
>when the Checkout Compiler disappeared.

Well, _I_ never found much use for the Checkout Compiler... _my_ code
always ran fine ;-)

Frank Clarke
Tampa Area REXX Programmers' Alliance
Member of the REXX Language Association
Join us at http://www.rexxla.org
(Remove the currency symbol before replying.)

Tue, 11 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/1 Research

Quote:

>         I am a student at Boise State University in Boise, ID.  I am taking a
> class on programming languages, and I'm doing research for a paper on PL/1.
>  I am trying to find information relating to the evolution of PL/1 as a
> language.  Specifically, information on the following would be very useful:
> *  key dates in the evolution of PL/1 - i.e. when significant new features
> were added to the language and what those enhancements were
> *  dates when various operating systems or CPU platforms were supported.
> *  dates when various versions of the compiler were supported (optimizing
> compiler, checkout compiler, PL/S, PL/C etc)
> *  a list of the currently supported dialects of PL/1.
> *  any information related to object oriented versions of PL/1.  I have
> read a couple of papers published on this subject, but don't know if they
> referenced a hypothetical language spec or if an actual compiler exists.
> Does anyone know??

> If you can supply any of this information directly or if you can point me
> in the right direction for reference information, I would greatly
> appreciate your help.

> Thanks for any help you can give.
> Sincerely,
> Bill Gray

In early 1969, I started my computer career using PL/I "D" on IBM 360
DOS. We moved to OS/360 and PL/I "F" later that year.

My manager at the next job was the manager of the PL/I group at GUIDE
Europe. In early 1972, he gave me a tape that he claimed was the first
copy of the PL/I Optimizing Compiler outside of IBM. I installed it, and
submitted the first DOC APAR for the compiler within a week.

The same year, IBM came out with the PL/I Checkout Compiler. This was
the exact opposite of the Optimizing Compiler, in that the generated
code ran very slowly, but it found all kinds of coding problems. It
would fix most of them on the fly, put out a message, and continue. The
idea was to use the checkout compiler for unit testing, then switch to
the Optimizing Compiler for subsequent test phases. I don't remember
when the Checkout Compiler disappeared.

Tue, 11 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/1 Research

        >    I am a student at Boise State University in Boise, ID.  I am taking a
        >class on programming languages, and I'm doing research for a paper on PL/1.
        > I am trying to find information relating to the evolution of PL/1 as a
        >language.  Specifically, information on the following would be very useful:
        >*  key dates in the evolution of PL/1 - i.e. when significant new features
        >were added to the language and what those enhancements were
        >*  dates when various operating systems or CPU platforms were supported.
        >*  dates when various versions of the compiler were supported (optimizing
        >compiler, checkout compiler, PL/S, PL/C etc)
        >*  a list of the currently supported dialects of PL/1.
        >*  any information related to object oriented versions of PL/1.  I have
        >read a couple of papers published on this subject, but don't know if they
        >referenced a hypothetical language spec or if an actual compiler exists.
        >Does anyone know??

        >If you can supply any of this information directly or if you can point me
        >in the right direction for reference information, I would greatly
        >appreciate your help.

        >Thanks for any help you can give.
        >Sincerely,

Key players in the development of PL/I (yes, that's the name, not PL/1)
were IBM and computer user representatives from SHAREand GUIDE.

AFIK, the first language reference manual was IBM's "IBM Operating
System/360 PL/I: Language Specifications", New York, NY, 1995.

Before that, the language was called NPL (New Programming Language).
It may have had other names before even then.

Compilers were introduced for the IBM /360 series.  There was
a version for DOS and another for OS (the PL/I-F compiler).
The PL/I-F compiler appeared about 1966.  There also was a
version for the IBM 1130.

Other vendors joined the ranks: Burroughs, Data General, Control Data,
Fujitsu, Digital Equipment Corporation, and Honeywell.

Cornell University produced a super-fast compiler, PL/I in the
early 1970s.

IBM produced the PL/I Optimizing and Checkout compilers in the early
1970s  (or possibly the late 1960s).

Pr1me Computer had a PL/I compiler, the Q1 Corporation a commercial
subset for the Q1/Lite, Olivetti a commercial subset.  Wang also
had PL/I.  Digital research produced a substantial subset for the
8088.

Stratus Computer, Inc, has offered PL/I compilers for many years
on their family of computers.
UniPrise took over the devopment of DEC's PL/I compilers in
1996. Liant Corporation has offered OpenPL/I for a number of years
on Unix-based systems and Windows.

In around 1994 IBM added a new PL/I compiler to OS/2.  This compiler
had many new features including strong typing.  Since then
the compiler has been ported to AIX and Windows 95 and NT.

Wed, 12 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/1 Research

Quote:

>         I am a student at Boise State University in Boise, ID.  I am taking a
> class on programming languages, and I'm doing research for a paper on PL/1.
>  I am trying to find information relating to the evolution of PL/1 as a
> language.

How far back do you want to go? PL/I has its roots in a joint IBM-SHARE
committee that was intended to design fortran VI. They eventually
decided to include facilities from ALGOL 60, COBOL and FORTRAN IV and
called the result New Programming Language. After National Physics
Laboratory complained that people would confuse the language with them,
IBM called it MPPL before finally settling on PL/I.

The first working PL/I (or PL/I like) compilers that I'm familiar with
were Early PL/I (EPL) for MULTICS and NICOL for BNX.

--

                        Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
                        Senior Software SE

The values in from and reply-to are for the benefit of spammers:
reply to domain eds.com, user msustys1.smetz or to domain gsg.eds.com,

Fri, 14 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/1 Research

Quote:

> I don't believe that PL/S is a derivative of PL/I. For one, they have
> different syntax for the substring function.

PL/S is clearly a derivative of PL/I, and it does accept PL/I syntax for
SUBSTRING if you insist on using it; SUBSTRING(string,start:end) is an
alternative to SUBSTRING(string,start,length), not a replacement. IMHO
the new form is generally more convenient, although I would prefer
having both to just having the new form.

Quote:
> PL/S2, PL/S3, PL/AS and PL/X are derivitives of PL/S.

Also PL/8.

--

                        Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
                        Senior Software SE

The values in from and reply-to are for the benefit of spammers:
reply to domain eds.com, user msustys1.smetz or to domain gsg.eds.com,

Fri, 14 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. PL/I Research

2. PL/1 Research

3. Digital Research PL/I-86 Question

4. Digital Research PL/1 Compiler

5. Digital research PL/I for DOS

6. Digital Research PL/I for CP/M-86

7. Games Research = Logo Research

8. Senior Research Asst., Research Officer or Senior R.O. position

9. Logo Komeniusz PL (Logo Comenius PL)

10. Derivation of PL/I (was Usenet group for PL/M language)

11. Mapping local files to FILE declarations in PL/I with IBM VisualAge PL./I for Windows

12. Difference PL/1 PL/I