Ada is almost useless in embedded systems
Author Message
 Ada is almost useless in embedded systems

        >> I believe that Ada is badly designed with respect to interfacing to
        >> hardware and because of this should not be recommended for use in
        >> embedded systems.
        >>
        >> I have a number of reasons for believing this, but I will expand on
        >> these in reponse to any follow-up postings.
        >>
        >> Hope to hear from you all soon!

        >Gee, I hope you don't have to fly, or take the Chunnel.  Of course, it'll
        >be hard to leave England without being involved in a transportation
        >system using Ada, but I guess that Ada hasn't reached the Channel
        >ferries yet...

        >Incidentally, Ada is much better at interfacing to hardware than any other
        >general purpose language that I know of.
'
---Except for PL/I, which includes decimal, bit, bit string (fixed
andf varying-length), character strings (fixed and varying-length),
graphic strings (fixed and varying length), fixed-point with fractional
component, signed and unsigned, pointers ...  data structures, dynamic
arrays, controlled storage . . .

---And it also has interrupt handling.

         This is due to the programmer's
        >complete control over the representation of data. Now, there are some
        >situations/data representations that cannot be specified in Ada, such
        >as non-contiguous storage.  But try expressing a specific data layout
        >in C...

Fri, 31 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Ada is almost useless in embedded systems

Quote:

>    >Incidentally, Ada is much better at interfacing to hardware than any other
>    >general purpose language that I know of.
>'
>---Except for PL/I, which includes decimal, bit, bit string (fixed
>andf varying-length), character strings (fixed and varying-length),
>graphic strings (fixed and varying length), fixed-point with fractional
>component, signed and unsigned, pointers ...  data structures, dynamic
>arrays, controlled storage . . .

And the VOLATILE attribute.  (I remember thinking, this is great.
Oops, I might be thinking about the OTHER PL/I.  The one honed to
interfacing with hardware and realtime systems.)

Cory Hamasaki - OS/2, MVS Internals, C, PL/I, M.S.CSci GWU92
Kiyo Design, Inc     OS/2 ONLY Software Retail Store
11 Annapolis St.     Warp Aps, Consultants Registry
Annapolis, Md 21401  TeamOS/2, OS/2 CD-Roms
(410) 280-1942       OS/2 Software on Demo Computer

Fri, 31 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Ada is almost useless in embedded systems

Quote:

>        >Incidentally, Ada is much better at interfacing to hardware than

         >any other general purpose language that I know of.

Quote:
>---Except for PL/I, which includes decimal, bit, bit string (fixed
>andf varying-length), character strings (fixed and varying-length),
>graphic strings (fixed and varying length), fixed-point with fractional
>component, signed and unsigned, pointers ...  data structures, dynamic
>arrays, controlled storage . . .

Are you saying that PL/I declarations are at least as powerful as
Ada representation specifications?  If so can you give a method for
converting Ada types to PL/I?

Fri, 31 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Ada is almost useless in embedded systems

        >>        >Incidentally, Ada is much better at interfacing to hardware than
        >         >any other general purpose language that I know of.

        >>---Except for PL/I, which includes decimal, bit, bit string (fixed
        >>andf varying-length), character strings (fixed and varying-length),
        >>graphic strings (fixed and varying length), fixed-point with fractional
        >>component, signed and unsigned, pointers ...  data structures, dynamic
        >>arrays, controlled storage . . .

        >Are you saying that PL/I declarations are at least as powerful as
        >Ada representation specifications?

---I'm saying that PL/I provides a better interface, on account
of its greater range of data types.

         If so can you give a method for
        >converting Ada types to PL/I?

---It should be fairly straightforward to convert
declarations for the basic types from Ada to PL/I.

Tue, 04 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Ada is almost useless in embedded systems

Quote:
>        >Are you saying that PL/I declarations are at least as powerful as
>        >Ada representation specifications?
>---I'm saying that PL/I provides a better interface, on account
>of its greater range of data types.
>         If so can you give a method for
>        >converting Ada types to PL/I?
>---It should be fairly straightforward to convert
>declarations for the basic types from Ada to PL/I.

Would you like to have a go at the 370 PSW example from section 13.4
of the (old) Ada Reference Manual then?

Tue, 04 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Ada is almost useless in embedded systems

2. Ada is almost useless in embedded systems

3. CNF: Embedded Systems Club and Ada UK User Group Autumn Conference

4. Real-time embedded systems - Ada resources

5. Ada in embedded systems?

6. Why no Ada at Embedded Systems Conference?

7. Ada for embedded system specification - tools ?

8. Internet Resource Lists - Ada, Embedded Systems - Pointer

9. Ada Compiler for 68HC11 embedded system

10. Ada is the language of choice for embedded systems

11. Ada Run-time for embedded systems

12. Ada Run-time for embedded systems