PL1 Compiler for Windows
Author Message
 PL1 Compiler for Windows

Thanks to Dave and Robin for there information on
the Windows 95 PL1 compiler.  I will check with
both Liant and IBM.  Interestingly, I used the
Liant compiler on my Sun Sparc.  Back then they
were known as "LPI".  Unfortunately, when they
released their Solaris version, they required each
executable have a run-time license.

Thanks to all...Bob

Sat, 20 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 PL1 Compiler for Windows

I just called IBM today.  After 4 or 5 transfers, I got a price quote of
$795!  Don't they get it???? Turbo C and Pascal took off not because they
were superior products but because they were CHEAPER than the competition!
 Perhaps I shouldn't complain...at least this is down from the original
$5,000 price for PLI for OS/2...and we all remember how that product took
the market by storm, don't we!!!!

Sun, 21 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 PL1 Compiler for Windows

I can't agree more.  For a large company, $795 may be peanuts, but PL/I
could be used by anyone to develop applications for personal use or resale.
 A $150 package price would be much better.  Maybe a runtime license of
$25.  A lot of people would be discovering / rediscovering the power and
ease of pl/1.

Quote:
> I just called IBM today.  After 4 or 5 transfers, I got a price quote of
> $795!  Don't they get it???? Turbo C and Pascal took off not because they
> were superior products but because they were CHEAPER than the
competition!
>  Perhaps I shouldn't complain...at least this is down from the original
> $5,000 price for PLI for OS/2...and we all remember how that product took
> the market by storm, don't we!!!!

Sun, 21 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 PL1 Compiler for Windows

Good idea, another company that has discovered the scale of economies is Oracle.
It's package costs 310.
When will IBM wake up and do likewise, or does it really want kill the product in favour of others.

I think we should be told....

Mon, 22 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 PL1 Compiler for Windows

Quote:
>I can't agree more.  For a large company, $795 may be peanuts, but PL/I
>could be used by anyone to develop applications for personal use or resale.
> A $150 package price would be much better.  Maybe a runtime license of
>$25.  A lot of people would be discovering / rediscovering the power and
>ease of pl/1.

>> I just called IBM today.  After 4 or 5 transfers, I got a price quote of
>> $795!  Don't they get it???? Turbo C and Pascal took off not because they

It would certainly be interesting to know just how many PL/1 compilers
IBM is selling at that price?

I too would love to have a current PL/1 compiler for my Win95 machine,
but I can't do it at that price.

                *David C. Barber*

     http://www.users.cts.com/crash/d/dbarber

Mon, 22 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 PL1 Compiler for Windows

We will shortly be coming out with a "Personal PL/I" at a much lower price.

Quote:
>Good idea, another company that has discovered the scale of economies is Oracle.
>It's package costs 310.
>When will IBM wake up and do likewise, or does it really want kill the product in favour of others.

>I think we should be told....

Mon, 22 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 PL1 Compiler for Windows

The compiler is certainly expensive.  I understand there's a move afoot to re-instate the "personal
edition" of the compiler, at least for OS/2, which is considerably cheaper.  I seem to recall
someone from IBM saying that the runtime is freely re-distributable.

Tue, 23 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 PL1 Compiler for Windows

Quote:
Barber) writes:

>>I can't agree more.  For a large company, $795 may be peanuts, but
PL/I
>>could be used by anyone to develop applications for personal use or
resale.
>> A $150 package price would be much better.  Maybe a runtime license
of
>>$25.  A lot of people would be discovering / rediscovering the power
and
>>ease of pl/1.

Well, acutally, i kinda agree from a different angle.  I purchased the
OS/2 compiler and toolkit a while back with the ambition to update some
cobol software that i had written (and marketed) a few years back.  Now
that OS/2 is practically a non-issue in the consumer market, i would
like to do a cross platfor upgrade to the win95 compiler, but i have
not received a resaponse from ibm after posing the question.

Wed, 24 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 PL1 Compiler for Windows

Quote:

> I just called IBM today.  After 4 or 5 transfers, I got a price quote of
> $795!  Don't they get it???? Turbo C and Pascal took off not because they
> were superior products but because they were CHEAPER than thecompetition!
>  Perhaps I shouldn't complain...at least this is down from the original
> $5,000 price for PLI for OS/2...and we all remember how that product took
> the market by storm, don't we!!!!

I suspect this was a holdover from mainframe pricing strategies?

Thu, 25 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. PL1 Compiler for PC Windows/Dos?

2. compiler pl1 for windows

3. Windows PL1 Compiler

4. Compilers Windows NT or Cross Compiler SunSolaris2.5/Windows NT Fortran77

5. PL1 for Linux / PL1 for Win95?

6. wanted: PL1 to C xlator or PL1 BNF

7. PL/CT Compiler. Cross-posted from PL1-L

8. short-circuit logic in PL1 compiler, or lack thereof

9. Upgraded Getronics (Wang) PL1 compiler

10. Looking for a PL1-Compiler

11. Q: PL1-Compiler

12. Q: PL1-Compiler for WIN95, 98 or NT 4.0