PL/S language
Author Message
 PL/S language

Quote:

>> PL/I derivatives were a popular exercise in the early 70s.  The full
>> language was an unwieldy monster.  Even IBM built a derivative called
>> PL/S

>They *added* quite a bit to PL/I when they did PL/S.

...and took quite a bit out, too. PL/S (and all of its later variants:
PL/AS, PL/X, etc.) is a language designed not to require any runtime
environment, unlike PL/I. As a result, there are no implicit conversions
or language defined I/O capabilities. There are also no floating point
capabilities (e.g., no FLOAT data type). There are some features in PL/S
that are not in PL/I: direct access to (almost all) S/390 assembler
instructions, object oriented constructs, support for ESA/390 data
spaces, and more flexible DECLAREs of byte and bit structures commonly
found in system programming work. BTW, some of these PL/S features have
found their way into the new PL/I for workstations, and I expect we'll
see them in the next upgrade of the host based PL/I products.

... article text goes here ...

Dave Jones

Mon, 01 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Derivation of PL/I (was Usenet group for PL/M language)

2. Derivation of PL/I (was Usenet group for PL/M language)

3. Usenet group for PL/M language

4. Usenet group for PL/M language

5. FAQ: Programming Language PL/I

6. status of PL/I as a viable language

7. PL/I is a viable language

8. status of PL/I as a viable language

9. status of PL/I as viable language

10. Dynamic Link in PL/I and Language Environment

11. Usenet group for PL/M language

12. Usenet group for PL/M language