How Do You Fellow PLI'ers Like SAS?
Author Message
 How Do You Fellow PLI'ers Like SAS?

While I enjoy programming with PLI (ever since my CS 101 college course back in
1978!), it appears that IBM has condemned PLI to a slow, painful death and has
placed all their programming language bets on Visual Age For Java (God save us
all!).

One still active language (3+ million current users) with strong PLI roots is
SAS (it was originally written in PLI before being ported to C for greater
platform independence). While not as robust from a formal programming language
perspective as PLI, its many syntactical similarities make it very easy for the
PL/I programmer to pick up and its great wealth of built-in functions and
procedures that can be used on multiple platforms against different databases
make it MUCH easier and quicker to produce results than with any other
programming language I've used, (although you'll sacrifice some performance and
some seldom used PLI features).

IMO, SAS (especially before the addition of the newer obligatory "OO" features
demanded by "the Market") represented a logical progression that PLI should
have headed towards.

I'd be curious to hear other PLI'ers comments.

Sun, 20 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How Do You Fellow PLI'ers Like SAS?

Quote:

> 1978!), it appears that IBM has condemned PLI to a slow, painful death and has
> placed all their programming language bets on Visual Age For Java (God save us
> all!).

IBM recently produced VisualAge PL/i for the workstation (AIX,
Windows, and OS/2).

In fact, PL/I was the first of its languages to receive
the Millennium Language Extensions.

Sun, 20 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How Do You Fellow PLI'ers Like SAS?

Quote:
>...While not as robust from a formal programming language
>perspective as PLI, its many syntactical similarities make it very easy for the
>PL/I programmer to pick up and its great wealth of built-in functions and
>procedures ...

>I'd be curious to hear other PLI'ers comments.

I have lots of PL/1 experience and have never found SAS particularly
intuitive.

Frank Clarke
Tampa Area REXX Programmers' Alliance (TARPA)
Member of the REXX Language Assn
  Join us at http://www.rexxla.org
(remove currency symbol when replying)

Sun, 20 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How Do You Fellow PLI'ers Like SAS?

Quote:
> While I enjoy programming with PLI (ever since my CS 101 college course
back in
> 1978!), it appears that IBM has condemned PLI to a slow, painful death and
has
> placed all their programming language bets on Visual Age For Java (God
save us
> all!).

> One still active language (3+ million current users) with strong PLI roots
is
> SAS (it was originally written in PLI before being ported to C for greater
> platform independence). While not as robust from a formal programming
language
> perspective as PLI, its many syntactical similarities make it very easy
for the
> PL/I programmer to pick up and its great wealth of built-in functions and
> procedures that can be used on multiple platforms against different
databases
> make it MUCH easier and quicker to produce results than with any other
> programming language I've used, (although you'll sacrifice some
performance and
> some seldom used PLI features).

> IMO, SAS (especially before the addition of the newer obligatory "OO"
features
> demanded by "the Market") represented a logical progression that PLI
should
> have headed towards.

> I'd be curious to hear other PLI'ers comments.

I've always found it extremely hard to learn and get used to (perhaps that's
because the "language" is only superficially so). At the same time, the
company I am consultng to at the moment use it very heavily, for a wide
range of tasks, on both MVS and AIX (the OS/2 version was dumped as being
horribly unreliable). The version for NT may be introduced, at the moment
there's an AIX - NT battle.

The MVS version is also used to analyse SMF / RMF records, and it's a
fundamental part of one application (the only analysis tool used).

But I wouldn't make a SAS - PL/I comparison. The target usage is too
dissimilar.

--
Regards, Mark Yudkin

Sun, 20 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Why dont PLI'ers use PL/I?

2. Document'er and Diagram'er ???

3. If you're a TPF'er check out the Alternative TPF Homepage

4. determining name of 'send'er

5. For he's a jolly good fellow!

6. sed'ers & awk'ers part II - help!

7. CFP (final): 1st International Static Analysis Symposium (SAS'94)

8. SAS'97 Call For Participation

9. SAS'97 (Extended Deadline)

10. SAS'97 (Extended Deadline)

11. SAS'97 (Final Call For Papers)