PL/I
Author Message
 PL/I

Quote:

> Unfortunately - I think you folks are missing the bigger picture.  In a
> perfect world we would choose the "right" technological solution all the
> time (and chances are Microsoft wouldn't be around today!).  However, no
> CIO is going to let a new project be coded in PL/I today whether PL/I is
> the right solution or not.

New projects in PL/I are being commenced.  You only need
to look at the adverti{*filter*}ts.

Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I

Quote:

> > Unfortunately - I think you folks are missing the bigger picture.
In a
> > perfect world we would choose the "right" technological solution all
the
> > time (and chances are Microsoft wouldn't be around today!).
However, no
> > CIO is going to let a new project be coded in PL/I today whether
PL/I is
> > the right solution or not.

> New projects in PL/I are being commenced.  You only need
> to look at the adverti{*filter*}ts.

What adverti{*filter*}ts?  Who advertises what language their
products/solutions are written in?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/

Fri, 01 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I

Quote:

> > > CIO is going to let a new project be coded in PL/I today whether
> PL/I is
> > > the right solution or not.

> > New projects in PL/I are being commenced.  You only need
> > to look at the adverti{*filter*}ts.

> What adverti{*filter*}ts?  Who advertises what language their
> products/solutions are written in?

Not too many companys do that, but they do look for employees who know
the language in which their applications are/will be written in and
that is often a clue as to what their applications are written in (well
duh).

Shortly I'm going to a major shop that has tons of PL/1 code and they
are cooking up new projects that will most likely be written in PL/1.

Anyway there it is!

Mr. Framnesso

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/

Tue, 12 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I

Quote:

> > PL/I is

> > > New projects in PL/I are being commenced.  You only need
> > > to look at the adverti{*filter*}ts.

> > What adverti{*filter*}ts?  Who advertises what language their
> > products/solutions are written in?

> Not too many companys do that, but they do look for employees who know
> the language in which their applications are/will be written in and
> that is often a clue as to what their applications are written in
(well
> duh).

> Shortly I'm going to a major shop that has tons of PL/1 code and they
> are cooking up new projects that will most likely be written in PL/1.

> Anyway there it is!

> Mr. Framnesso

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/

Ok, maybe what I said was a little strong - I should have that most CIOs
will not allow this.  Look your going to find a little bit of something
everywhere.  Heck, companies are still putting out DOS products (ex.
Peachtree Acctounting.)  I base this opinion on my current and past
employers as well as those of companies of friends.  Robin, eh Mr. PL/I,
seems to just believe that PL/I is the do all be all of languages.  As I
said my statements are based on personal experiences - when he starts
jumping out with "JUST LOOK AT THE ADVERTI{*filter*}TS" - I say prove it!
And by proving it I don't mean showing me the aderti{*filter*}t for a PL/I
compiler!!  Hey, Robin if you want to make statements sound like facts
- be prepared to back it up. (which so far you haven't!)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/

Tue, 12 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I

Quote:

> > > PL/I is

> > > What adverti{*filter*}ts?  Who advertises what language their
> > > products/solutions are written in?

> > Not too many companys do that, but they do look for employees who
know
> > the language in which their applications are/will be written in and
> > that is often a clue as to what their applications are written in
> (well
> > duh).

> > Shortly I'm going to a major shop that has tons of PL/1 code and
they
> > are cooking up new projects that will most likely be written in
PL/1.

> > Anyway there it is!

> > Mr. Framnesso

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/

> Ok, maybe what I said was a little strong - I should have that most
CIOs
> will not allow this.  Look your going to find a little bit of
something
> everywhere.  Heck, companies are still putting out DOS products (ex.
> Peachtree Acctounting.)  I base this opinion on my current and past
> employers as well as those of companies of friends.  Robin, eh Mr.
PL/I,
> seems to just believe that PL/I is the do all be all of languages.
As I
> said my statements are based on personal experiences - when he starts
> jumping out with "JUST LOOK AT THE ADVERTI{*filter*}TS" - I say prove it!
> And by proving it I don't mean showing me the aderti{*filter*}t for a PL/I
> compiler!!  Hey, Robin if you want to make statements sound like facts
> - be prepared to back it up. (which so far you haven't!)

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/

I just search the Sunday (8/22/99) want ads in 30 major US Newspapers
(using www.careerpath.com) and found 8 ads for PL/1 programmers and
these were generic headhunter type ads. Compared to Visual Basic (490
ads) and even Cobol (149 ads) I would say that PL/1 is rarely used.

I know that if I was looking for a new Job I would not hold out much
hope of finding one as PL/1 programmer.  Even if I did find an opening
for a PL/1 programmer it might not be in an environment that I would
want to work.  Whereas if I was looking for a Job as a VB programmer or
even a Cobol programmer I could pick and choose where to send my resume.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/

Tue, 12 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Logo Komeniusz PL (Logo Comenius PL)

2. Derivation of PL/I (was Usenet group for PL/M language)

3. Mapping local files to FILE declarations in PL/I with IBM VisualAge PL./I for Windows

4. Difference PL/1 PL/I

5. What is the difference between DEC PL/1 and OS/390 PL/1

6. Initialization Expressions in PL/I (was ANSI PL/I)

7. Migrating from OS/VS PL/I to VA PL/I

8. PL/I FAQ -- Frequently asked questions about PL/I (minor update)

9. The PL/I Connection (PL/I Newsletter No. 6)

10. How VOS PL/I tames PL/I

11. PL1 JOBS PL/I Jobs PL/1 JOBS

12. It's not PL/1, it's PL/I