IMS MPP gets cc 0 Significance Exception under LE370 runtime
Author Message
 IMS MPP gets cc 0 Significance Exception under LE370 runtime

We migrated to LE/370 runtime on 1996/Feb/26 and started getting Significance
Exception conditions within an IMS Message Processing Program.

This is a PL/I main program that also calls COBOL II and Assembler.

I can't find any reference to "Significance Exceptions" as conditions that
should ever be visible/detectable by COBOL II or PL/I v2r3. There is a
discussion of it in the AD Cycle User Guide, but it left me with the
impression that it should be disabled unless you jumped through a few
hoops to enable it.

The message region ends with a zero CC and no S0CE abend messages, although
there is a lot of output about the "unhandled condition". The IMS log
indicates that an S0CE abend was detected and rolled back.

The object code was last compiled under an ealier release, without the LIST
option to generate a pseudo assembler expansion of the PL/I code.

When I recompiled the abending statement number(GS option) had a CEIL()
function that expands to a series of instructions which include add decimal
long and subtract decimal long. The offset doesn't exactly match the
ones in the recompile, but that may be the result of compiler diffences.

Has anyone had any similar experiences?

A bit before this the program calls an assembler routine that in turn
invokes the DFSDHC40 randomizer to obtain the radomized address of the
root(block and Root Anchor Point).
--
notice: by sending advertising/solicitations to this account you will be
indicating your consent to paying me $70/hour for a minimum of 2 hours for

Sat, 15 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 IMS MPP gets cc 0 Significance Exception under LE370 runtime

Quote:
>A bit before this the program calls an assembler routine that in turn
>invokes the DFSDHC40 randomizer to obtain the radomized address of the
>root(block and Root Anchor Point).

Is that so? A randomized address, you say? Are you also running on a Pentium?

Sun, 16 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 IMS MPP gets cc 0 Significance Exception under LE370 runtime

Quote:
>The message region ends with a zero CC and no S0CE abend messages, although
>there is a lot of output about the "unhandled condition". The IMS log
>indicates that an S0CE abend was detected and rolled back.

IMS has an ESTAE and ESPIE combination big enough to {*filter*}a cart-horse.
It is almost impossible to get IMS to abend with anything other than one of
its own abends.

Quote:
>When I recompiled the abending statement number(GS option) had a CEIL()
>function that expands to a series of instructions which include add decimal
>long and subtract decimal long. The offset doesn't exactly match the
>ones in the recompile, but that may be the result of compiler diffences.

The instructions to look for are floating point adds and subtracts, with
assembler mnemonics AE, AER, AD, ADR, AXR, SE, SER, SD, SDR, SXR.
These normally occur when somebody has coded a division of integers
without realising that PL/I preserves fractions. Look for a / and try to
replace it with a call to the DIVIDE() built-in function with zero as its
fourth argument. This will bypass floating point altogether.

[I don't think the unnormalised instructions suffer from significance errors,
since they are designed to tolerate zero mantissae.]

Regards

Dave
<Team PL/I>

Mon, 17 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 IMS MPP gets cc 0 Significance Exception under LE370 runtime
There are times when you need to relink old PL/I programs with the
LE/370 libraries.  A Share pitch last year went into some detail.  Prior
Cobol release programs are mostly immune from this need.  The Diagnostic
and Messages manual for LE helps in figuring out this area.

You also didn't mention the level of LE/370.  Different releases do
change behavior, and IBM fixes sometimes make big differences in
external behavior.

Bob Eltgroth

Quote:

> We migrated to LE/370 runtime on 1996/Feb/26 and started getting Significance
> Exception conditions within an IMS Message Processing Program.

> This is a PL/I main program that also calls COBOL II and Assembler.

Mon, 17 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. IMS MPP gets cc 0 Significance Exception under LE370 runtime

2. IMS MPP gets cc 0 Significance Exception under LE370 runtime

3. Getting started with Ada: Runtime exceptions?

4. Exceptions and call/cc

5. How to test runtime exceptions

6. Skills Needed: UNIX-C, COBOL/BAL, IMS DBA, IMS, DB2 DBA, Oracle DBA, Smalltalk

7. Getting user-variable/equate name at runtime

8. Getting Windows 95 Invalid page exception

9. Getting the line where an exception is raised

10. getting the culprit from an exception

11. getting system time (runtime) in fortran

12. getting line number and filename at runtime