FIXED-POINT ARITHMETIC (was DIVIDE builtin)
Author Message
 FIXED-POINT ARITHMETIC (was DIVIDE builtin)

Quote:

> > Divide produces the result with precision 7,3.
> > that is, three binary digits after the point.
> > In this case, as the result is 0.079 (which is less than
> > the smallest storable non-zero value 0.125), The result
> > returned is therefore zero.

> Ain't fixed-point binary arithmetic great!  The more I learn about it,
> the less I use it.

There's nothing wrong with scaled fixed binary arithmetic.
For some applications it is superior to DECIMAL fixed point and
superior to floating-point, in both speed and in accuracy.

Compared to single precision floating-point, for example,
you get all 31 bits of precision in a word, while
only ~24 bits are available for the mantissa of a floating-point
value.

Tue, 23 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Suppressing fixed point divide exception

2. Fixed Point Divide

3. FIXED-POINT ARITHMETIC

4. language support for fixed-point arithmetic

5. Fixed-point arithmetic coding

6. Looking for Verilog functions/tasks for fixed-point arithmetic

7. Fixed point arithmetic

8. How to use fixed-point arithmetic function in VHDL

9. ANNOUNCE: Fixed-Point Arithmetic Class Library

10. Fixed point arithmetic

11. Can you help with fixed-point arithmetic?

12. language support for fixed-point arithmetic