DIVIDE builtin precision
Author Message
 DIVIDE builtin precision

What would the syntax
   DIVIDE(value,4,0)
mean?
It seems to be accepted by PL/I for MVS & VM without complaint
but Enterprise PL/I issues the message IBM1435I and replaces the
digits value by 1. I understand the error but I am wondering what
this syntax might have meant in the past.

Any ideas?

Bill

  http://www.*-*-*.com/ ,000+ groups

Sun, 25 Dec 2005 00:47:30 GMT
 DIVIDE builtin precision

Quote:
> What would the syntax
>    DIVIDE(value,4,0)
> mean?
> It seems to be accepted by PL/I for MVS & VM without complaint
> but Enterprise PL/I issues the message IBM1435I and replaces the
> digits value by 1. I understand the error but I am wondering what
> this syntax might have meant in the past.

It means divide value by 4 accurate to 0 significant digits (in the
appropriate base).

I don't think the third argument should be 0.

There is an optional fourth argument for FIXED values specifying the scale
factor.

http://publibfp.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/ibm3l101/16.5.34

-- glen

Sun, 25 Dec 2005 02:09:30 GMT

1. DIVIDE builtin precision

2. DIVIDE builtin

3. FIXED-POINT ARITHMETIC (was DIVIDE builtin)

4. Builtin methods versus Builtin Functions -- help!

5. Convert single precision to double precision

6. Constant precision & type/precision promotion

7. Internal Precision Vs. Unformatted Precision

8. HP Fortran question: precision of double-precision?

9. double precision vs. single precision

10. single precision or double precision?

11. Double precision runs fast tan single precision in MS Fortran

12. Crystal Reports Builtin support for Topspeed???