The PL/I Newsletter (August 2002)
Author Message
 The PL/I Newsletter (August 2002)

The August PL/I Newsletter may be viewed at

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Thu, 03 Feb 2005 12:46:34 GMT
 The PL/I Newsletter (August 2002)
To "Command Line Arguments", you should mention the use of the OPTIONS(MAIN
NOEXECOPS) as a means of avoiding the need for an initial / in the
invocation. It's also supported in OS PL/I and PL/I for MVS and VM in those
environment that support a single command-line string argument.

To the "Brain Teaser": with VA PL/I and later, surely using the LIST
attribute on the procedure declaration's last parameter is simpler for the
caller (no need for an ARRAY macro) and more generally applicable? [It
doesn't answer the specific question, as it doesn't pass an array. I won't
post a spoiler here].

Quote:
> The August PL/I Newsletter may be viewed at

> http://www.users.bigpond.com/robin_v/pli-n5.htm

Thu, 03 Feb 2005 16:27:34 GMT
 The PL/I Newsletter (August 2002)

Quote:
> The August PL/I Newsletter may be viewed at

> http://www.users.bigpond.com/robin_v/pli-n5.htm

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< from your newsletter >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Quote:
> The PL/I Connection newsletter.
> The PL/I Connection Newsletter No. 11 , December 1997.
> The PL/I Connection Newsletter No. 10 , April 1997.

Last newsletter is Spring 2000, which shows IBM's master software language
plan is to eventually
shut down all support for PL/I..

Quote:
> PL/I WORKSHOPS
> Three Workshops will be offered in Northeast Brasil at CESV without

payment for the Education for Professional

Quote:
> Programming Education with assistance of IBM:

When is the next workshop in U.S. assisted by IBM ?

Quote:
> Current IBM PL/I offerings in the U.S.
> VisualAge PL/I Enterprise Edition Version 2.1 combines the two separate

offerings from the previous release of VisualAge > PL/I (Standard and
Professional) into a single offering available on both the OS/2 and Windows
NT platforms.

I challenge you to provide a IBM link showing they currently offer ANY  OS/2
version.

Thu, 03 Feb 2005 19:59:14 GMT
 The PL/I Newsletter (August 2002)

Quote:

> I challenge you to provide a IBM link showing they currently offer ANY  OS/2
> version.

I challenge you to peddle this cabbage to someone
who hasn't heard it at least once every month for
godknowshowlong....

Sat, 05 Feb 2005 05:10:28 GMT
 The PL/I Newsletter (August 2002)

Quote:

>>I challenge you to provide a IBM link showing they currently offer ANY  OS/2
>>version.
> I challenge you to peddle this cabbage to someone
> who hasn't heard it at least once every month for
> godknowshowlong....

Hey, it's no use trying to reason with an obsessive nutcase.

--
John W. Kennedy
Read the remains of Shakespeare's lost play, now annotated!

Sat, 05 Feb 2005 06:57:06 GMT
 The PL/I Newsletter (August 2002)
I don't want to tread on anyone's toes here, but I knew that IBM did have
PL/1 on OS/2 as a former employer was using it a few years ago!  So I did a
very simple search and found that VisualAge PL/1 Enterprise is definitely
still available in Europe.

The IBM url is
http://commerce-13.www.ibm.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/CategoryDisplay?cgrf...
6456&cntrfnbr=1&cgmenbr=1&cntry=826&lang=en_GB

Phil

Quote:
> >>I challenge you to provide a IBM link showing they currently offer ANY
OS/2
> >>version.

> > I challenge you to peddle this cabbage to someone
> > who hasn't heard it at least once every month for
> > godknowshowlong....

> Hey, it's no use trying to reason with an obsessive nutcase.

> --
> John W. Kennedy
> Read the remains of Shakespeare's lost play, now annotated!
> http://pws.prserv.net/jwkennedy/Double%20Falshood.html

Sun, 06 Feb 2005 03:00:58 GMT
 The PL/I Newsletter (August 2002)

Quote:

> I challenge you to provide a IBM link showing they currently offer ANY
OS/2
> version.

Well, here is the US link, ok???

http://commerce.www.ibm.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/CategoryDisplay?cntrfnb...
enbr=1&cntry=840&lang=en_US&scrfnbr=73&cgrfnbr=2041647&x=9&y=10

Now what is your problem with PL/I??  You look like child here.

Tue, 08 Feb 2005 04:08:56 GMT
 The PL/I Newsletter (August 2002)

Quote:

> > I challenge you to provide a IBM link showing they currently offer ANY
> OS/2
> > version.

> Well, here is the US link, ok???

http://commerce.www.ibm.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/CategoryDisplay?cntrfnb...

Quote:
> enbr=1&cntry=840&lang=en_US&scrfnbr=73&cgrfnbr=2041647&x=9&y=10

> Now what is your problem with PL/I??  You look like child here.

Where is a link for    Personal PL/I for Windows  ??

Why does everyone ignore the fact that the ONLY compiler available for
individual use  (a compiler > $2000 is NOT AVAILABLE for individual use)
has apparently been withdrawn by IBM ??

The rest of you are just corporate babysitters of existing PL/I applications
written by your bosses over 20 years ago..

Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:15:11 GMT

1. Clarion Magazine Weekly Summary August 25 - 31, 2002

2. Clarion Magazine Weekly Summary For August 11-17, 2002

3. Clarion Magazine Weekly Summary For August 4-10, 2002

4. Clarion Magazine Weekly Summary For July 28 - August 3, 2002

5. Seeking for an internship in the USA from March to August 2002

6. The PL/I Connection (PL/I Newsletter No. 6)

7. KBCS-2002 Call for Papers - Deadline Extended to Aug.31, 2002

8. KBCS-2002 Call for Papers - Deadline Extended to Aug.31, 2002

9. ECAI and PAIS 2002 last CFP - STAIRS 2002 CFP

10. KBCS-2002 Call for Papers - Deadline Extended to Aug.31, 2002

11. KBCS-2002 Call for Papers - Deadline Extended to Aug.31, 2002

12. At least 18 PL/I jobs, August 1998