Oracle
Author Message
 Oracle

Is anybody using Oracle from PL/I ?
who have issued a "PL/I Desupport Notification"
which says: "Due to insufficient customer demand for the
Pro*Pascal, Pro*PL/1 and Pro*Ada products and a general trend in the
marketplace away from these languages, Oracle will not be providing a
Pascal or PL/1 pre-compiler with Oracle8."
[Pro*PLI/1 is the name of the Oracle pre-compiler]
and later "Bug correction support for Oracle 7.3 will end on
31/12/2000.  This will be extendable to 31/12/2002 for an extra
charge.  Support for known problems in Oracle 7.3 will end on
31/12/2003"
their advice is:"Pro*Pascal and Pro*PL/1 customers should modify their

       application programs by modularizing their SQL access.
       They can then migrate their applications to work with the
       Pro*C/C++ or Pro*COBOL precompilers by replacing embedded
       SQL statements with calls to C, C++, or COBOL programs that
       execute the required SQL statements."

Has anyone tried OCI (Oracle call interface) ?
(It might be an alternative to the pre-compiler)

Our PL/I is on OS/390 and our Oracle is on HP UNIX

Clement McGann

Mon, 15 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Oracle
The IBM VA PL/I team have indicated that they need a business case for
adding Oracle support to their VA compiler (i.e. VA PL/I for OS/2, Windows,
AIX or OS/390). It sounds like you may have one.

For IBM, a business case means showing that there are a sufficient number of
customers who 1) need Oracle support from IBM and 2) that they will purchase
PL/I licenses they otherwise would not have purchased.

If you can provide this information, we can try again to convince IBM. My
last attempt had insufficient revenue for it to be worth while for IBM.

Also my last attempt to gain interest on this news group met with virtually
no demand, for whatever reason.

You may contact me off-line for further details if you wish.

--
Regards, Mark Yudkin, Yudkin Consulting AG, Authors of Cogent/SQL for MVS,
OS/2 and Windows NT.

Quote:

> Is anybody using Oracle from PL/I ?
> who have issued a "PL/I Desupport Notification"
> which says: "Due to insufficient customer demand for the
> Pro*Pascal, Pro*PL/1 and Pro*Ada products and a general trend in the
> marketplace away from these languages, Oracle will not be providing a
> Pascal or PL/1 pre-compiler with Oracle8."
> [Pro*PLI/1 is the name of the Oracle pre-compiler]
> and later "Bug correction support for Oracle 7.3 will end on
> 31/12/2000.  This will be extendable to 31/12/2002 for an extra
> charge.  Support for known problems in Oracle 7.3 will end on
> 31/12/2003"
> their advice is:"Pro*Pascal and Pro*PL/1 customers should modify their

>        application programs by modularizing their SQL access.
>        They can then migrate their applications to work with the
>        Pro*C/C++ or Pro*COBOL precompilers by replacing embedded
>        SQL statements with calls to C, C++, or COBOL programs that
>        execute the required SQL statements."

> Has anyone tried OCI (Oracle call interface) ?
> (It might be an alternative to the pre-compiler)

> Our PL/I is on OS/390 and our Oracle is on HP UNIX

> Clement McGann

Tue, 16 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Oracle
thanks Mark,
Its one thing to ask IBM,
the problem is not of theit making
given that Oracle provided the Pro*PL/1 pre-compiler
we developed applications using it
and now they say that it won't work with Oracle 8
- - -
I would still be interested to know how others are coping
given that Oracle OCI is just called from Cobol & C on os/390
I fail to see why PL/I couldn't do the same
I just would not want to be the only one doing it
- - -
I'll email you
thanks
Clement McGann

Quote:
> The IBM VA PL/I team have indicated that they need a business case for
> adding Oracle support to their VA compiler (i.e. VA PL/I for OS/2,
Windows,
> AIX or OS/390). It sounds like you may have one.

> For IBM, a business case means showing that there are a sufficient
number of
> customers who 1) need Oracle support from IBM and 2) that they will
purchase
> PL/I licenses they otherwise would not have purchased.

> If you can provide this information, we can try again to convince
IBM. My
> last attempt had insufficient revenue for it to be worth while for
IBM.

> Also my last attempt to gain interest on this news group met with
virtually
> no demand, for whatever reason.

> You may contact me off-line for further details if you wish.

> --
> Regards, Mark Yudkin, Yudkin Consulting AG, Authors of Cogent/SQL for
MVS,
> OS/2 and Windows NT.
> The simplest way to publish live data on the World Wide Web.

> > Is anybody using Oracle from PL/I ?
> > who have issued a "PL/I Desupport Notification"
> > which says: "Due to insufficient customer demand for the
> > Pro*Pascal, Pro*PL/1 and Pro*Ada products and a general trend in the
> > marketplace away from these languages, Oracle will not be providing
> > Pascal or PL/1 pre-compiler with Oracle8."
> > [Pro*PLI/1 is the name of the Oracle pre-compiler]
> > and later "Bug correction support for Oracle 7.3 will end on
> > 31/12/2000.  This will be extendable to 31/12/2002 for an extra
> > charge.  Support for known problems in Oracle 7.3 will end on
> > 31/12/2003"
> > their advice is:"Pro*Pascal and Pro*PL/1 customers should modify
their

> >        application programs by modularizing their SQL access.
> >        They can then migrate their applications to work with the
> >        Pro*C/C++ or Pro*COBOL precompilers by replacing embedded
> >        SQL statements with calls to C, C++, or COBOL programs that
> >        execute the required SQL statements."

> > Has anyone tried OCI (Oracle call interface) ?
> > (It might be an alternative to the pre-compiler)

> > Our PL/I is on OS/390 and our Oracle is on HP UNIX

> > Clement McGann

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Tue, 16 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Oracle
Nobody blamed IBM. They indicated interest, but need a business case.
You should be able to use OCI from VA PL/I, with OS PL/I and PL/I for MVS
you'd have problems with data type support and (under OS PL/I)
call-by-value.

Quote:
> [...]

> > > Pascal or PL/1 pre-compiler with Oracle8."
> > > [Pro*PLI/1 is the name of the Oracle pre-compiler]
> > > and later "Bug correction support for Oracle 7.3 will end on
> > > 31/12/2000.  This will be extendable to 31/12/2002 for an extra
> > > charge.  Support for known problems in Oracle 7.3 will end on
> > > 31/12/2003"
> > > their advice is:"Pro*Pascal and Pro*PL/1 customers should modify
> their

> > >        application programs by modularizing their SQL access.
> > >        They can then migrate their applications to work with the
> > >        Pro*C/C++ or Pro*COBOL precompilers by replacing embedded
> > >        SQL statements with calls to C, C++, or COBOL programs that
> > >        execute the required SQL statements."

> > > Has anyone tried OCI (Oracle call interface) ?
> > > (It might be an alternative to the pre-compiler)

> > > Our PL/I is on OS/390 and our Oracle is on HP UNIX

Thu, 18 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Upgrade from Oracle-7 to Oracle-8

2. CW2003 Oracle Connect and Oracle 8 DLL's

3. USING ORACLE ACCELERATOR WITH ORACLE 8

4. Oracle DLLs required by Oracle Connect

5. Oracle Accelerator vs Oracle Sequences

6. Oracle / Oracle Connect Info

7. Python Oracle module for Oracle 8 -- NEED HELP!!!!

8. REGINA - Senior Oracle Consultant - 2 yrs Oracle, Designer/2000, develop client relationships, s/w solutions - NE, Any City, , Canada

9. Oracle integration with VisualWorks2.5.2

10. Accessing Oracle from VWave on SUN OS 5.5.1

11. Ansi/Ascii-Charactertranslation ODBC-Oracle

12. Oracle Maximum opened cursors exceeded