Personal PL/1 Samples
Author Message
 Personal PL/1 Samples

The IBM Personal PL/1 Programmer's Guide (OS/2 and Windows) refers to some
sample code which illustrates the use of FETCH to cause DLLs to be loaded
when required while running, as opposed to when the main program is loaded.
However, said code is absent from the Samples folder. Is this an oversight,
or have the Samples been updated? Either way, does anyone have a copy of the
referenced sample code: SORT.PLI, SORT.DEF, DRIVER1.DEF, EXTDCL.CPY,
DRIVER1.PLI and DRIVER2.PLI?

There is some interesting GL code in the Samples folder. I would be
interested in any information on how to use this.

Regards and TIA, Richard

Sat, 10 Dec 2005 00:16:36 GMT
 Personal PL/1 Samples
I'm amazed that IBM bundled my OpenGL code with Personal PL/I.

There are 4 pieces of code in VA PL/I (I'll assume you have the same code on
Personal PL/I), and they all assume you have NT/2K/XP/2003. I believe 98 and
ME are also OK, and you can download support for 95. If the code does not
work on Personal PL/I, then this is bad luck, it was never tested on, and is
not supported by me on, Personal PL/I. Ditto for 95/98/ME.

1) OpenGL itself. Visit http://www.opengl.org or
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/ -> Graphics and Multimedia -> OpenGL.

2) Win32 Extensions to OpenGL (permit you to embed OpenGL in Windows
applications). Visit http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/ -> Graphics and
Multimedia -> OpenGL.

3) GLUT toolkit. This is the GLUT toolkit from SGI (DLL and documentation),
with headers for PL/I
Documentation in postscript format is in glut3doc.ps in your samples format.
There is a sample program.

4) GLAUX toolkit.
            This is a version of the MS-supplied source compiled into a DLL.
Here's the official MS documentation thereto:

      Using the Auxiliary Library
      Using OpenGL, Silicon Graphics (SGI) created the Auxiliary Library to
write simple sample programs for the OpenGL Programming Guide. The source
code for the Auxiliary Library is supplied with the Microsoft Platform SDK,
along with the OpenGL samples. To understand how the Auxiliary Library was
developed from OpenGL functions and routines, examine the source code. You
can use Auxiliary Library functions in your own programs. For a description
of the Auxiliary Library, see the OpenGL Programming Guide.

There is a sample program.

To link programs using 1 and 2, you will need the MS Platform SDK. You can
download the Platform SDK from http://msdn.microsoft.com.

I strongly recommend purchasing a book on OpenGL coding, such as the OpenGL
Programming Guide mentioned above (ISBN 0201604582). Both PL/I samples are
translations of programs from that book. Amazon have it in stock.

Quote:
> The IBM Personal PL/1 Programmer's Guide (OS/2 and Windows) refers to some
> sample code which illustrates the use of FETCH to cause DLLs to be loaded
> when required while running, as opposed to when the main program is
loaded.
> However, said code is absent from the Samples folder. Is this an
oversight,
> or have the Samples been updated? Either way, does anyone have a copy of
the
> referenced sample code: SORT.PLI, SORT.DEF, DRIVER1.DEF, EXTDCL.CPY,
> DRIVER1.PLI and DRIVER2.PLI?

> There is some interesting GL code in the Samples folder. I would be
> interested in any information on how to use this.

> Regards and TIA, Richard

Sat, 10 Dec 2005 14:05:05 GMT
 Personal PL/1 Samples
I have temporarily uploaded all the samples from the 1.1 toolkit to:
   http://home.nycap.rr.com/pflass/plisamp.zip
Due to limited disk space, I will be able to keep this file online
only for a week or so, so have at it.
Quote:

> The IBM Personal PL/1 Programmer's Guide (OS/2 and Windows) refers to some
> sample code which illustrates the use of FETCH to cause DLLs to be loaded
> when required while running, as opposed to when the main program is loaded.
> However, said code is absent from the Samples folder. Is this an oversight,
> or have the Samples been updated? Either way, does anyone have a copy of the
> referenced sample code: SORT.PLI, SORT.DEF, DRIVER1.DEF, EXTDCL.CPY,
> DRIVER1.PLI and DRIVER2.PLI?

> There is some interesting GL code in the Samples folder. I would be
> interested in any information on how to use this.

> Regards and TIA, Richard

Mon, 12 Dec 2005 20:13:27 GMT
 Personal PL/1 Samples
Excellent. Many thanks, Peter.

Tue, 13 Dec 2005 20:44:53 GMT
 Personal PL/1 Samples
On my personal pli (os/2) installation, EXTDCL.CPY is in the INCLUDE
subdirectory and the rest of the modules you mention are in the SAMPLES
subdirectory.  If they are missing on your installation, perhaps you
should reinstall.

Wed, 14 Dec 2005 06:11:22 GMT

1. Compiling DR PL/I code with IBM Personal PL/I

2. Creating Sample Data for COBOL Program Using Personal Microfocus

3. User's Personal PL/I Neural Network Leaks

4. Performance of Personal PL/I on a Thinkpad 600 (300MHz Pentium II)

5. Performance of Personal PL/I

6. Status of Personal PL/1

7. PL/I Personal is still available according to the web site

8. WTB: PL/I Personal for OS/2

9. Personal PL/1 for NT

10. Personal PL/I?

11. PL/I Personal and WIN98