PLIDUMP behavior.
Author Message
 PLIDUMP behavior.

Hi folks,

I'm hoping someone here may have some insight on something I'm seeing.
We are using OS PL/I 2.3 running on OS/390 2.6.  I have a question on
what DDName PLIDUMP really wants to use.

Consider the following table that I created through a series of batch
program tests and observing the resulting behavior:

   Run       PLIDUMP  CEEDUMP   DDName
   With      exists   exists    dump is
   SCEERUN                      written to

   NO        NO       NO        --
   NO        NO       YES       CEEDUMP
   NO        YES      NO        PLIDUMP
   NO        YES      YES       CEEDUMP
   YES       NO       NO        CEEDUMP
   YES       NO       YES       CEEDUMP
   YES       YES      NO        PLIDUMP
   YES       YES      YES       PLIDUMP

Specifically I am looking at the 4th and 8th rows, where my JCL has
both PLIDUMP and CEEDUMP DD statements.  When I do not execute with
Language Environment, the PLIDUMP function writes to DDName CEEDUMP.
When I execute with Language Environment, the PLIDUMP function writes
to DDName PLIDUMP.

Is it supposed to work this way?

Thanks much.

    Curt

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Tue, 03 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PLIDUMP behavior.

Quote:
> Hi folks,

> I'm hoping someone here may have some insight on something I'm seeing.
> We are using OS PL/I 2.3 running on OS/390 2.6.  I have a question on
> what DDName PLIDUMP really wants to use.

> Consider the following table that I created through a series of batch
> program tests and observing the resulting behavior:

>    Run       PLIDUMP  CEEDUMP   DDName
>    With      exists   exists    dump is
>    SCEERUN                      written to

>    NO        NO       NO        --
>    NO        NO       YES       CEEDUMP
>    NO        YES      NO        PLIDUMP
>    NO        YES      YES       CEEDUMP
>    YES       NO       NO        CEEDUMP
>    YES       NO       YES       CEEDUMP
>    YES       YES      NO        PLIDUMP
>    YES       YES      YES       PLIDUMP

> Specifically I am looking at the 4th and 8th rows, where my JCL has
> both PLIDUMP and CEEDUMP DD statements.  When I do not execute with
> Language Environment, the PLIDUMP function writes to DDName CEEDUMP.
> When I execute with Language Environment, the PLIDUMP function writes
> to DDName PLIDUMP.

> Is it supposed to work this way?

> Thanks much.

>     Curt

Really strange what you report. I never got a CEEDUMP until LE was up.
Under LE, both CEEDUMP and PLIDUMP are there, while CEEDUMP is
allocatet to SYSOUT=* if not in JCL. So, just a guess: Do you have LE or
some C/370 runtime in the linklist?

What are the parameters for PLIDUMP? My settings use to be 'TFCHB'.
What are the LE runtime parameters ABTERMENC, MSGFILE, TERMTHDACT, TRAP?
Do you use IBMBXITA or CEEBXITA?

--
Daniel
visit us at:

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Fri, 06 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PLIDUMP behavior.
Never mind what you think you are running.
If you get CEEDUMP output then LE modules
were fetched somewhere along the road.

With PL/I V2R3 compiler, resident library and
transient library and NO Language Environment
anywhere you won't get any mention of CEEanything
anywhere!

Just because you don't put it in STEPLIB don't mean
it ain't in the linklist.

So there!       :)

Now, why you don't get CEEDUMP with a SCEERUN
steplib is open for discussion.

Cheers,
Greg

Quote:

> > Hi folks,

> > I'm hoping someone here may have some insight on something I'm seeing.
> > We are using OS PL/I 2.3 running on OS/390 2.6.  I have a question on
> > what DDName PLIDUMP really wants to use.

> > Consider the following table that I created through a series of batch
> > program tests and observing the resulting behavior:

> >    Run       PLIDUMP  CEEDUMP   DDName
> >    With      exists   exists    dump is
> >    SCEERUN                      written to

> >    NO        NO       NO        --
> >    NO        NO       YES       CEEDUMP
> >    NO        YES      NO        PLIDUMP
> >    NO        YES      YES       CEEDUMP
> >    YES       NO       NO        CEEDUMP
> >    YES       NO       YES       CEEDUMP
> >    YES       YES      NO        PLIDUMP
> >    YES       YES      YES       PLIDUMP

> > Specifically I am looking at the 4th and 8th rows, where my JCL has
> > both PLIDUMP and CEEDUMP DD statements.  When I do not execute with
> > Language Environment, the PLIDUMP function writes to DDName CEEDUMP.
> > When I execute with Language Environment, the PLIDUMP function writes
> > to DDName PLIDUMP.

> > Is it supposed to work this way?

> > Thanks much.

> >     Curt

> Really strange what you report. I never got a CEEDUMP until LE was up.
> Under LE, both CEEDUMP and PLIDUMP are there, while CEEDUMP is
> allocatet to SYSOUT=* if not in JCL. So, just a guess: Do you have LE or
> some C/370 runtime in the linklist?

> What are the parameters for PLIDUMP? My settings use to be 'TFCHB'.
> What are the LE runtime parameters ABTERMENC, MSGFILE, TERMTHDACT, TRAP?
> Do you use IBMBXITA or CEEBXITA?

> --
> Daniel
> visit us at:
> http://www.winterthur.com

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Fri, 06 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PLIDUMP behavior.

Thanks to all who have responded.  Here are some clarifications...

Language Environment is in fact in our linklist.  In my tests I
explicitly added the OS PL/I library to STEPLIB for one set of tests
and explicitly added SCEERUN to STEPLIB for the other set of tests.  I
used Edge Portfolio Analyzer to verify that my test program was
linkedited with OS PL/I.  The OS PL/I tests always produced the OS PL/I
format of the dump regardless of to which DD the dump was written.  The
LE tests always produced the LE format of the dump (CEE3DMP) regardless
of to which DD the dump was written.

The OS PL/I Problem Determination manual of copyright 1990 states "A DD
statement with the ddname PLIDUMP, PL1DUMP, or CEEDUMP, a FILEDEF
command in CMS, or an ALLOCATE command in TSO must define the data set
for the dump."  So OS PL/I knows about CEEDUMP, as is observed in my
tests.

I'm just trying to find out which DD is the preferred DD when both
PLIDUMP and CEEDUMP are available to a job step.  It appears through
testing that OS PL/I prefers CEEDUMP and Language Environment prefers
PLIDUMP.  I would like to know before I change PLIDUMP to CEEDUMP and
remove PLIDUMP in places where both exist across over 10,000 job steps
in our production JCL...

If anyone from IBM is listening in on this discussion, could you please
comment.  What is the preferred DD statement for the PLIDUMP builtin
function when more than one are available?  Is there anything else I
need to be aware of if I choose to use CEEDUMP across all job steps?

Thanks.

       Curt

Quote:
> Never mind what you think you are running.
> If you get CEEDUMP output then LE modules
> were fetched somewhere along the road.

> With PL/I V2R3 compiler, resident library and
> transient library and NO Language Environment
> anywhere you won't get any mention of CEEanything
> anywhere!

> Just because you don't put it in STEPLIB don't mean
> it ain't in the linklist.

> So there!       :)

> Now, why you don't get CEEDUMP with a SCEERUN
> steplib is open for discussion.

> Cheers,
> Greg

> > > Hi folks,

> > > I'm hoping someone here may have some insight on something I'm
seeing.
> > > We are using OS PL/I 2.3 running on OS/390 2.6.  I have a
question on
> > > what DDName PLIDUMP really wants to use.

> > > Consider the following table that I created through a series of
batch
> > > program tests and observing the resulting behavior:

> > >    Run       PLIDUMP  CEEDUMP   DDName
> > >    With      exists   exists    dump is
> > >    SCEERUN                      written to

> > >    NO        NO       NO        --
> > >    NO        NO       YES       CEEDUMP
> > >    NO        YES      NO        PLIDUMP
> > >    NO        YES      YES       CEEDUMP
> > >    YES       NO       NO        CEEDUMP
> > >    YES       NO       YES       CEEDUMP
> > >    YES       YES      NO        PLIDUMP
> > >    YES       YES      YES       PLIDUMP

> > > Specifically I am looking at the 4th and 8th rows, where my JCL
has
> > > both PLIDUMP and CEEDUMP DD statements.  When I do not execute
with
> > > Language Environment, the PLIDUMP function writes to DDName
CEEDUMP.
> > > When I execute with Language Environment, the PLIDUMP function
writes
> > > to DDName PLIDUMP.

> > > Is it supposed to work this way?

> > > Thanks much.

> > >     Curt

> > Really strange what you report. I never got a CEEDUMP until LE was
up.
> > Under LE, both CEEDUMP and PLIDUMP are there, while CEEDUMP is
> > allocatet to SYSOUT=* if not in JCL. So, just a guess: Do you have
LE or
> > some C/370 runtime in the linklist?

> > What are the parameters for PLIDUMP? My settings use to be 'TFCHB'.
> > What are the LE runtime parameters ABTERMENC, MSGFILE, TERMTHDACT,
TRAP?
> > Do you use IBMBXITA or CEEBXITA?

> > --
> > Daniel
> > visit us at:
> > http://www.winterthur.com

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 07 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. ceedump/plidump

2. Where can i find a Harddisc behavior module and a ATAPI CD-ROM behavior module in verilog?

3. Combo Box Behavior

4. Different behavior of empty vectors in J

5. Strange instance class valiable behavior

6. Instance-Epecific Behavior

7. Instance-Specific Behavior

8. Strange behavior of VM with Delphi COM Servers.

9. Behavior>>new: comment

10. Suggestion: Different mouse wheel behavior

11. Unexpected right-click behavior in a tree view

12. erratic behavior of push buttons in Dolphin 98?