PL/1 Research
Author Message
 PL/1 Research

I am still trying to find out more information for my PL/1 research
paper.  Is the language still being taught, if so, where?  Are there
anymore groups or conventions that PL/1 users go to?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 21 May 2003 08:17:09 GMT
 PL/1 Research
I am still working on my PL/1 research paper.  Is the language still
being taught?  If so, where.  Are there anymore groups or conventions
for this language?  I do not have enough information yet.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 21 May 2003 08:20:22 GMT
 PL/1 Research

Quote:

>I am still working on my PL/1 research paper.  Is the language still
>being taught?  If so, where.  Are there anymore groups or conventions
>for this language?  I do not have enough information yet.

Well, our company still teaches PL/I (note, technically it is a roman
numeral one, not an arabic numeral one) and many of our courses
are multi-lingual in that lectures cover relevant points in COBOL,
PL/I, Assembler, and C, and the students can run their labs
in any one of these languages.

But frankly we don't get many requests. PL/I is still out there in
corporations, but it doesn't seem to be growing. This is the story
in the US. However, PL/I is still very viable in Europe, Asia, and
Australia.

We used to teach our intro to PL/I course at least once a year, and
now it is hard to fill a class if we teach it once every two years. We
did an offering of it two months ago in Denver and had about 10
students, including one woman who came all the way from Sweden
to take the class. Of course, this week we got a request for an intro
class, but it was just one person. So we keep a list of those names
and when we get a critical mass, as it were, we try to hold it again.

Right now we have some interest in an Advanced PL/I offering.

That said, we are noticing a little up-tick in PL/I training requests,
but it may just be that the PL/I community is finding us since there
are not too many others teaching this subject.

In the States, it is hard to find PL/I programmers, so most shops,
which are generally 95+% COBOL, will take to redoing PL/I apps
in COBOL since it is much easier to find COBOL programmers, or
to find COBOL training if necessary. It's kind of a chicken and
egg thing at this point.

In our multi-language courses, for example DB2 or Language
Environment classes, it's rare for students to ask for the PL/I
or Assembler material to be covered; in Europe we find that
students want all four languages included, and we have actually
developed some new PL/I courses (debugging using the Debug
Tool and Visual Age PL/I Differences) at customer request.

IBM is still doing development of PL/I compilers, the latest of
which is called "Visual Age PL/I for OS/390". If you email me
privately I'll give you the email address of one of the IBM PL/I
developers and you can contact him.

Regards,

Steve Comstock
Telephone: 303-393-8716
www.trainersfriend.com

256-B S. Monaco Parkway
Denver, CO 80224
USA

Wed, 21 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/1 Research
as steve told you, there is still a lot of companies in europe (or in my
case switzerland) that are using PL/I. we are offering training classes
for a number of companies. just one of our customers needs some 50 new
PL/I programmers every year. right now we are busy adapting our training
to the new VA PL/I compiler.

marcel

Quote:
> I am still working on my PL/1 research paper.  Is the language still
> being taught?  If so, where.  Are there anymore groups or conventions
> for this language?  I do not have enough information yet.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Thu, 22 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. PL/I Research

2. PL/1 Research

3. Digital Research PL/I-86 Question

4. Digital Research PL/1 Compiler

5. Digital research PL/I for DOS

6. Digital Research PL/I for CP/M-86

7. Games Research = Logo Research

8. Senior Research Asst., Research Officer or Senior R.O. position

9. Logo Komeniusz PL (Logo Comenius PL)

10. Derivation of PL/I (was Usenet group for PL/M language)

11. Mapping local files to FILE declarations in PL/I with IBM VisualAge PL./I for Windows

12. Difference PL/1 PL/I