VA Pli Editor macro - another question
Author Message
 VA Pli Editor macro - another question

Me again,

    what I also want to do is this:
            with a macro running, I want to select a word (double-click) in
the open PLI member, and the macro should add this word to a list, then I
can select a few more words, and all these words be added to a list or array
of some kind, which I can then further process in the macro.
How can I keep the macro running in a loop, so I can select new strings, and
then add to a list/array, and then when I'm finished, stop the loop (I
presume with "extract lastkey" ?) and let the rest of the macro run.

(actually, what I'm trying to do is create a macro which will automatically
generate one DO/END block which will contain "put data" commands for all the
words I have previously selected, like this:

  /*macro outoput start*/
     do;
          put skip data(inputvar);
          put skip data(var3)
          put skip data(var1);
          put skip data(reccount);
     end;
  /*macro outoput end*/

 or similar.
)

Is there already such an animal? Or a similar one that I can copy or get
some inspiration from?
I admit my experiance of rexx and the pli editor macro environment is
pathetically poor.

tia
Tim.

Fri, 01 Apr 2005 22:58:20 GMT
 VA Pli Editor macro - another question
This is a beginners REXX question, and the only possible answer is to tell
you to RTF REXX Reference that accompanies PL/I.

You can get a substantially better REXX development environment by
purchasing the OO-REXX development edition. PL/I bundles only the runtime
(in an old version).

Quote:
> Me again,

>     what I also want to do is this:
>             with a macro running, I want to select a word (double-click)
in
> the open PLI member, and the macro should add this word to a list, then I
> can select a few more words, and all these words be added to a list or
array
> of some kind, which I can then further process in the macro.
> How can I keep the macro running in a loop, so I can select new strings,
and
> then add to a list/array, and then when I'm finished, stop the loop (I
> presume with "extract lastkey" ?) and let the rest of the macro run.

> (actually, what I'm trying to do is create a macro which will
automatically
> generate one DO/END block which will contain "put data" commands for all
the
> words I have previously selected, like this:

>   /*macro outoput start*/
>      do;
>           put skip data(inputvar);
>           put skip data(var3)
>           put skip data(var1);
>           put skip data(reccount);
>      end;
>   /*macro outoput end*/

>  or similar.
> )

> Is there already such an animal? Or a similar one that I can copy or get
> some inspiration from?
> I admit my experiance of rexx and the pli editor macro environment is
> pathetically poor.

> tia
> Tim.

Sat, 02 Apr 2005 14:17:21 GMT
 VA Pli Editor macro - another question
Thanks Mark - I realise that was a beginner's question -but I have to start
somewhere.
At least I know that REXX is the way to go,  I'd better invest some more
time in learning it. ;-)
Tim.

Quote:
> This is a beginners REXX question, and the only possible answer is to tell
> you to RTF REXX Reference that accompanies PL/I.

> You can get a substantially better REXX development environment by
> purchasing the OO-REXX development edition. PL/I bundles only the runtime
> (in an old version).

> > Me again,

> >     what I also want to do is this:
> >             with a macro running, I want to select a word (double-click)
> in
> > the open PLI member, and the macro should add this word to a list, then
> > can select a few more words, and all these words be added to a list or
> array
> > of some kind, which I can then further process in the macro.
> > How can I keep the macro running in a loop, so I can select new strings,
> and
> > then add to a list/array, and then when I'm finished, stop the loop (I
> > presume with "extract lastkey" ?) and let the rest of the macro run.

> > (actually, what I'm trying to do is create a macro which will
> automatically
> > generate one DO/END block which will contain "put data" commands for all
> the
> > words I have previously selected, like this:

> >   /*macro outoput start*/
> >      do;
> >           put skip data(inputvar);
> >           put skip data(var3)
> >           put skip data(var1);
> >           put skip data(reccount);
> >      end;
> >   /*macro outoput end*/

> >  or similar.
> > )

> > Is there already such an animal? Or a similar one that I can copy or get
> > some inspiration from?
> > I admit my experiance of rexx and the pli editor macro environment is
> > pathetically poor.

> > tia
> > Tim.

Sat, 02 Apr 2005 15:30:24 GMT

1. VA Pli Editor macro - clipboard -> variable

2. Compile-options VA PLI

3. Compile-options VA PLI

4. Problems with VA PLI 2.1 and W2K (printing to network-printers)

5. ODBC documentation for VA PLI for Windows V2.R1.07

6. VA for PLI

7. PL/I or VA PLI Post-Mortem Debugger

8. VA PLI & Lpex

9. Question: VA OS/2 or VA for Windows?

10. Question about a macro-defining macro

11. Integrated html browser/ editor for VA 4.02 ?

12. A macro involving two sub-macros - where the 2nd macro needs results from the first