PL/I (Roman Numeral 1) as opposed to PL/1
Author Message
 PL/I (Roman Numeral 1) as opposed to PL/1

The correct name is PL/I (note the Roman Numeral 1) and not PL/1. Look at
PL/I specific DD names, such as PLIDUMP, etc and note it is not PL1DUMP.

Wed, 06 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I (Roman Numeral 1) as opposed to PL/1

On Saturday, 97/04/19, "James M. McInvale" wrote to All about "PL/I
(Roman Numeral 1) as" as follows:

M> The correct name is PL/I (note the Roman Numeral 1) and not PL/1.

Yes, most of us knew that already. ... :-)

M> Look at PL/I specific DD names, such as PLIDUMP, etc and note it is
M> not PL1DUMP.

Actually, PL1DUMP was used with F-Level PL/I, and the OS Optimizer
looks for PL1DUMP if it fails to find PLIDUMP.

It might have been better to mention that many built-in functions and
subroutines that provide system services have names that begin with
PLI. This would be less IBM-specific; there are non-IBM platforms that
support PL/I too. Indeed, a lot of Stratus users say their machines
support PL/I better.

Regards

Dave
<Team PL/I>

 * KWQ/2 1.2i * Walk through doors, don't crawl through Windows.
--
Please remove the '$' in the from line before reply via email.
Anti-UCE filter in operation.

Thu, 07 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I (Roman Numeral 1) as opposed to PL/1

Quote:
> The correct name is PL/I (note the Roman Numeral 1) and not PL/1. Look at
> PL/I specific DD names, such as PLIDUMP, etc and note it is not PL1DUMP.

This statment is not 100% correct.
In Host-Environement (JCL)  PLI  accepts PL1DUMP too. And it still works
nowadays, as I have tested it five minutes ago.

Patrick Ogay

Fri, 08 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I (Roman Numeral 1) as opposed to PL/1

The command name of the "PL/I" compiler on the Multics system is "pl1"
(note all lower case and the One, not the Eye). Wake up out there! IBM
mainframes are not the only place where the subject language exists or
has been used.
--
Jay McFadyen
Development Tools and Infrastructure, C2PSD, Ford Motor Company

(313) 33-73359

Fri, 08 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I (Roman Numeral 1) as opposed to PL/1

Quote:

>> The correct name is PL/I (note the Roman Numeral 1) and not PL/1. Look at
>> PL/I specific DD names, such as PLIDUMP, etc and note it is not PL1DUMP.

> This statment is not 100% correct.
> In Host-Environement (JCL)  PLI  accepts PL1DUMP too. And it still works
> nowadays, as I have tested it five minutes ago.

> Patrick Ogay

It was either for a while, but isn't it spelled CEEDUMP these days?:-)
--
notice: by sending advertising/solicitations to this account you will be
indicating your consent to paying me $70/hour for a minimum of 2 hours for

Thu, 14 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. ROMAN NUMERAL CONVERSION??

2. Roman Numeral Verbs in J

3. Roman numeral verbs in J