Digital Research, where are you?
Author Message
 Digital Research, where are you?

  I understand that Digital Research have a PL/1 compiler for DOS or
Windows
3.1.

  The only phone number I can find for Digital Research is in a small
town
in Connecticut, U.S.A.  The number rings, no answer.  I cannot find a
street address.

  Someone says tha Novell bought Digital.  I've been through a dozen of
  Novel's switchboards, pressing one for this and three for that,  No
one
  whom I could locate ever heard of PL/1.

  Still looking for a compiler for my home based 486  DOS and Windows
3.1,
 complete   with documentation!

  Any suggestions

Fri, 08 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Digital Research, where are you?

Quote:
Jameson) writes:

>  I understand that Digital Research have a PL/1 compiler for DOS or
>Windows
>3.1.

I've always described PL/I-80 & PL/I-86 as Basic with semi-colons, but
they were actually quite capable development systems that intergrated
with other DRI products, such as Access Manager & Display Manager.

DRI was purchased by Novell about 5 or 6 years ago and all of the
language products were abandoned.  I don't know what the public domain
status of them are.

Ken Koswener

Sun, 10 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Digital Research, where are you?

DR was purchased by Novell, but that was _long_ after they stopped
supporting/shipping that compiler.  I know, as I use it every day.  The DOS
compiler is fair-quality (I have a 2M line system written in it), but is
only Subset G of PL/1.  I heard that Novell is sending people to a
distributor who has physical stock left for the DOS compiler, but I haven't
ever followed up on it.

If you _are_ really interested, I could sell you one of our licenses, but
be warned, this product is a 0.9 release and does have some bugs.  It also
does not correctly link using anything but DR's LINK86 (but you can link to
Microsoft object files such as those produced by MASM).  The compiler is
small-model only and uses FCB functions (not handle functions) so most of
the PL/1 I/O is limited to drive letters A:-P: and cannot handle full path
names or long file names. It does work fairly well and generates very good
code.  You can do overlays.  If you are good in MASM, you can add just
about anything you might need to access.

Marc

Quote:

>  I understand that Digital Research have a PL/1 compiler for DOS or
> Windows
> 3.1.

>  The only phone number I can find for Digital Research is in a small town
> in Connecticut, U.S.A.  The number rings, no answer.  I cannot find a
> street address.

>   Someone says tha Novell bought Digital.  I've been through a dozen of
>   Novel's switchboards, pressing one for this and three for that,  No one
>   whom I could locate ever heard of PL/1.

>  Still looking for a compiler for my home based 486  DOS and Windows 3.1,
>  complete  with documentation!

Sun, 10 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Digital Research, where are you?

Quote:
>DR was purchased by Novell, but that was _long_ after they stopped
>supporting/shipping that compiler.  I know, as I use it every day.  The DOS
>compiler is fair-quality (I have a 2M line system written in it), but is
>only Subset G of PL/1.  I heard that Novell is sending people to a
>distributor who has physical stock left for the DOS compiler, but I haven't
>ever followed up on it.

>snipped...
>Marc

>>  I understand that Digital Research have a PL/1 compiler for DOS or
>> Windows
>> 3.1.

>>snipped...
>>  Still looking for a compiler for my home based 486  DOS and Windows 3.1,

>>  complete  with documentation!

You might give Liant in Framingham, MA a call.  They did have a DOS PL/I compiler
available at one time; however, it may have been replaced by the Win95/NT
version which would work if you are willing to upgrade to Win95/NT.  Also, if
you are willing to upgrade, IBM has just released a PL/I for Windows which
supports Win95/NT.

John Arbuckle

Sat, 23 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Digital Research Logo

2. Digital Research PL/I-86 Question

3. Digital Research PL/1 Compiler

4. Digital research PL/I for DOS

5. Digital Research PL/I for CP/M-86

6. Ancient Digital Research PLI compiler

7. Experimental DIGITAL UNIX debugger available for researching user debugging preferences

8. Games Research = Logo Research

9. Senior Research Asst., Research Officer or Senior R.O. position

10. I am not deaf, but am I mute?

11. Digital FPGA Digital Designers needed => AZ

12. i am looking for an example allowing me to output a digital...