PL/I, MVT on Linux and Win98/NT
Author Message
 PL/I, MVT on Linux and Win98/NT

While this post might seem a little off topic, I feel that you might
like to know of a project called Hercules.

Hercules allows you to run IBM MVT, MVS OS/390 etc on a PC.  For free,
you can get the PL/I F compiler, MVT and actually run code on your PC.
Not blindingly fast, I'll admit, but all absolutely do-able.  On my 300
odd MIPS Win98 machine, it runs at about 1 mip.  I think it would be
faster under Linux, and I'm setting that up now to try it.

Apparently, it is roughly the speed of an IBM 370/145.

It took me about 5 or 6 hours to set up on Windows.  My guess is it
would be faster under Linux to set up.

Below are pointers to Hercules.

Cheers,

Clem
============================
Hercules addresses:

Community email addresses:

Files and archives at:
  http://www.*-*-*.com/

Get the latest version of Hercules from:
  http://www.*-*-*.com/

===========================

  ,-._|\  Clement V. Clarke - Author Jol, EASYJCL, EASYPANEL, OSCAR,
370TO486

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~oscarptyltd
 \_,--.x/ P.O. Box 475, Toorak, Victoria, AUSTRALIA, 3142.
       v  Tel (61)-3-9818-8351, Fax (61)-3-9819-2848.

Mon, 24 Mar 2003 10:43:25 GMT
 PL/I, MVT on Linux and Win98/NT
As part of the setting up of Hercules (see last message), you must download

Rick has done a tremendous job and collected code from everywhere, by the
look of it.

Part of the collection is the Source Code for the original PL/I F compiler,
and the run time routines.  It is written in 360 Assembler, and is about 30
megs in size or about 6 meg compressed.

If anyone is interested in this, I'll try to put it somewhere for
downloading, or I can break it up into parts for email, or you can download
the 110 megs that Rick has set up.

Cheers,

Clem Clarke

http://www.ozemail.com.au/~oscarptyltd
 \_,--.x/ P.O. Box 475, Toorak, Victoria, AUSTRALIA, 3142.
       v  Tel (61)-3-9818-8351, Fax (61)-3-9819-2848.

Mon, 24 Mar 2003 10:54:01 GMT
 PL/I, MVT on Linux and Win98/NT
Sure, why not :-)

Quote:
> Part of the collection is the Source Code for the original PL/I F
compiler,
> and the run time routines.  It is written in 360 Assembler, and is
about 30
> megs in size or about 6 meg compressed.

> If anyone is interested in this, I'll try to put it somewhere for
> downloading,

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 24 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I, MVT on Linux and Win98/NT
I know PL/I since the late sixties and I find it at pitty,
that most computer scientists do not recognize, that
this language is still modern and could migrate to OO,
as C and Pascal did.

One of my main interests lies in computer languages,
compilers and their construction. I find it great that you
will make available this classic 200 men year miracle.
thank you
Markus Loew

Quote:
>As part of the setting up of Hercules (see last message), you must download

>Rick has done a tremendous job and collected code from everywhere, by the
>look of it.

>Part of the collection is the Source Code for the original PL/I F compiler,
>and the run time routines.  It is written in 360 Assembler, and is about 30
>megs in size or about 6 meg compressed.

>If anyone is interested in this, I'll try to put it somewhere for
>downloading, or I can break it up into parts for email, or you can download
>the 110 megs that Rick has set up.

>Cheers,

>Clem Clarke

>  ,-._|\  Clement V. Clarke - Author Jol, EASYJCL, EASYPANEL, OSCAR,
>370TO486

>http://www.ozemail.com.au/~oscarptyltd
> \_,--.x/ P.O. Box 475, Toorak, Victoria, AUSTRALIA, 3142.
>       v  Tel (61)-3-9818-8351, Fax (61)-3-9819-2848.

Tue, 25 Mar 2003 12:46:11 GMT

1. PL/I Personal and WIN98

2. Use of identical image of VisualWorksNC 3.1 in Win98 and LINUX

3. Corruption on TPS files on Win98 & NT

4. NT or Win98?

5. NT Server & Win98 Stations

6. Slow Running on NT workstations but OK on Win98 using Advantage

7. Clipper 5.3 run on Win NT/ Win98

8. internal error 19 with win98/win NT

9. Network error win98 with Win nt

10. Clipper EXE error on win95,win98,NT - div by 0 - Help

11. Win98/NT Cobol Editor ?

12. Recomendations for C/Fortran Compilers for NT/Win95/Win98