Digital research PL/I for DOS
Author Message
 Digital research PL/I for DOS

--
Posted from Netscape in OS/2

[ DOS-PLI.TXT < 1K ]
Digital research PL/I Compiler for DOS.
======================================

        There's the original Digital Research PL/I for DOS
available at: http://www.*-*-*.com/

        It's a subset of PL/I, of course, because it had to fit
in 64K originally (I think).

        If that site is down, you can link to
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~cfs/cpm
which is a mirror site.

        Find the PCDOS section, and then check out DOWNLOADS.

        Be sure to download the utilities (including the linker)
as well as the compiler and sample codes.

        You'll also need the compiler flags at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/
in order to use it.

Updated: 4th October 1998.

Sun, 25 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Digital research PL/I for DOS

Quote:

> --
> Posted from Netscape in OS/2

>     ---------------------------------------------------------------
> Digital research PL/I Compiler for DOS.
> ======================================

>         There's the original Digital Research PL/I for DOS
> available at: http://cdl.uta.edu/cpm/cpm.html

>         It's a subset of PL/I, of course, because it had to fit
> in 64K originally (I think).

It's a subset. However, it is an ANSI subset. There are at least two
ANSI definitions for PL/I. The full blown and subset G. DRI implemented
subset G. As I recall about the only useful things missing in subset G
is case (SELECT) and REDEFINES. Also on 8-bit machines I defined a lot
of fixed binary(7) so that it would optimize to the one byte registers.

It ran in 48k so that you could run it in an MPM operating system. I had
an application that was around 20,000 line of code. Nice compiler.
PL/I-80 was rock solid. PL/I-86 was buggy. Example: calling a subroutine
that had no parameters PL/I-80 could handle CALL PGM() but PL/I-86 could
not. Had to change all of my source because of that one. I always felt
that the difference was because, according to rumor, Gary Kildall
implemented PL/I-80 single handedly while PL/I-86 was not only a port,
it was a team effort.

The original PL/I from DRI wasn't for DOS, it was for CP/M-80 and MPM.
Later it was ported to CP/M-86, Concurrent CP/M-86, PCDOS and MSDOS. Not
sure after that. I went back to the mainframe market.

In order to get it to fit within 48k it was in two overlays for CP/M-80.

Another rumor floating around at the time (1981) was that several
university professors had proven that the PL/I compiler could not be
implemented in 64k. If true, that one belongs up there with the bumble
bees can't fly proof.

The compiler came with a sample assembler program. This routine allowed
you to make driect BDOS calls from your PL/I program. Things like read
sector, getchr, etc.

--

Beyond Software, Inc.      http://www.beyond-software.com
"Transforming Legacy Applications"

Sun, 25 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Digital research PL/I for DOS

Quote:
>Another rumor floating around at the time (1981) was that several
>university professors had proven that the PL/I compiler could not be
>implemented in 64k. If true, that one belongs up there with the bumble
>bees can't fly proof.

That's interesting because the original PLI/F compiler (full language) ran in
64K on IBM 360 computers using the OS/360 PCP (non multitasking) operating
system.  My college roommate had a job programming at the New York Downstate
Medical Center and they replaced a Control data system with a 64K IBM 360/30
and attempted to use PL/I but the compiler was too slow in 64K to be
practical.

--

Sun, 25 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Digital Research PL/I-86 Question

2. Digital Research PL/1 Compiler

3. Digital Research PL/I for CP/M-86

4. Digital Research Logo

5. Digital Research, where are you?

6. Ancient Digital Research PLI compiler

7. Experimental DIGITAL UNIX debugger available for researching user debugging preferences

8. PL/I Research

9. PL/1 Research

10. PL/1 Research

11. DIGITAL Visual Fortran and DOS graphics

12. Games Research = Logo Research