Visual age file processing
Author Message
 Visual age file processing

I have some problems in trying to process in one program both HFS and
OS files.
In programs compiled with the VA compiler, bound by IEWL and loaded
from a PDSE any opening of the type OPEN FILE(<filename>)
TITLE(/<pathname>) fails with UNDEFINEDFILE, ONCODE()=84.
Processing the same file with USS services (BPX...) is successful. I
don't want to allocate <pathname> to a ddname by means of
JES/TSO/BPXWDYN. That option apparently works.
In programs compiled with the VA compiler, bound by c89 and loaded
from HFS any opening of the type OPEN FILE(<filename>) TITLE(<ddname>)
raises UNDEFINEDFILE, ONCODE()=84, too, although <ddname> has been
successfully allocated (TSO or BPXWDYN).
Anyone who can give me an explication of how to code these kinds of
file access?
Regards
Clemens

Sun, 10 Apr 2005 18:18:58 GMT
 Visual age file processing
As you can see from http://publibfp.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/ibmsa101.pdf,
page 93, the TITLE(/path) syntax is supported for OS/390 Unix only.

You will need to use a DD / ALLOC statement, or issue an SVC99 from the PL/I
program via an assembler routine.

For HFS support, not under OS/390 Unix, you need Enterprise PL/I (and two /
chars in the TITLE, of course).

Quote:
> I have some problems in trying to process in one program both HFS and
> OS files.
> In programs compiled with the VA compiler, bound by IEWL and loaded
> from a PDSE any opening of the type OPEN FILE(<filename>)
> TITLE(/<pathname>) fails with UNDEFINEDFILE, ONCODE()=84.
> Processing the same file with USS services (BPX...) is successful. I
> don't want to allocate <pathname> to a ddname by means of
> JES/TSO/BPXWDYN. That option apparently works.
> In programs compiled with the VA compiler, bound by c89 and loaded
> from HFS any opening of the type OPEN FILE(<filename>) TITLE(<ddname>)
> raises UNDEFINEDFILE, ONCODE()=84, too, although <ddname> has been
> successfully allocated (TSO or BPXWDYN).
> Anyone who can give me an explication of how to code these kinds of
> file access?
> Regards
> Clemens

Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:31:12 GMT
 Visual age file processing
Thank you for showing that difference between VA and Enterprise
compiler.
Apparently it's impossible to access non-HFS-datasets under UNIX. Or
is there any way to assign JCL-DDNAMEs by the DD_ddname-syntax?
I am using one program loaded from HFS that processes HFS files which
in turn invokes another program loaded from PDSE that processes OS
files.
Regards
Clemens Koppe
Quote:

> As you can see from http://publibfp.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/ibmsa101.pdf,
> page 93, the TITLE(/path) syntax is supported for OS/390 Unix only.

> You will need to use a DD / ALLOC statement, or issue an SVC99 from the PL/I
> program via an assembler routine.

> For HFS support, not under OS/390 Unix, you need Enterprise PL/I (and two /
> chars in the TITLE, of course).

Sun, 17 Apr 2005 16:57:42 GMT

1. Visual-age for Cobol talking to Visual-Age (C)

2. Need Visual Age, Visual Works, and Visual Wave Smalltalk mentors and developers and C++ designers/developers

3. Filing Out of Visual Age for smalltalk 3

4. Visual Age file-in problems

5. Visual Smalltalk and Visual Age crashes

6. Converting from Visual Smalltalk to Visual Age

7. Smalltalk Developer Visual Works-Visual Age Perm job in MN

8. Visual Age vs Visual Works with Gemstone

9. passing a CString array from visual c++ exe file to visual fortra n DLL file

10. Visual Age Calendar & Timeline Widgets

11. Visual Age 4.0 Delivery Schedule???

12. F10 event in Visual Age 4.02 on Windows 95