PL/I -- The Microfocus MVS Workbench
Author Message
 PL/I -- The Microfocus MVS Workbench

PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE OPTIONS

The MVS Workbench requires at least one programming language option. The
supported languages are COBOL, PL/I and 370/Assembler. These languages are
all 32-bit versions that run under the control of the MVS Workbench and the
OS/2 operating system. The MVS Workbench enhances the debugging of a
program by temporarily merging the compiler error messages into the source
code immediately preceding the line of source code believed to be in error.
Error messages are expanded upon to provide a better explanation to the
application programmer. Each compiler has a comprehensive interactive
de{*filter*} which allows a programmer to single step through a program during
testing, stop to inspect fields, watch variables, and animate the program
to watch execution.

32-bit PL/I Option:

The MVS Workbench supports the PL/I for OS/2 compiler, an MVS compliant
PL/I compiler and interactive de{*filter*} emulating the MVS based IBM OS PL/I
Version 2 release 3 and IBM PL/I MVS and VM Version 1 release 1 program
products. The PL/I for OS/2 compiler was developed by IBM Programming
Systems at the Santa Teresa Laboratory (STL), in California, the same IBM
developers responsible for the MVS PL/I program products. A primary design
consideration was to ensure that both MVS and OS/2 execution be identical,
irrespective on which platform any given PL/I program is running.

[Image]

The STL PL/I team has produced a PL/I compiler that not only meets the MVS
emulation criteria, but has extended the PL/I language to take advantage of
the OS/2 operating system. Enforcement of PL/I MVS compliance is
accomplished via a compiler option (default).

PL/I for OS/2 includes an SQL preprocessor that supports the IBM DB2/2 data
base. This enables PL/I to support embedded SQL statements. PL/I for OS/2
also supports dynamic memory allocation, a superset of MVS built-in
functions, macro facilities, PLITDLI emulation, syntax support for
++INCLUDE and/or -INC MVS source code managers, enforcement of MVS PL/I
language syntax, and more.

Micro Focus has integrated the PL/I for OS/2 compiler into the MVS
Workbench and enhanced it by adding the following MVS services:

   * PLISORT A, B, C, and D functionality.
   * DFSORT emulation.
   * A common I/O sub-system.
   * Support for QSAM, VSAM, Regional 1 BDAM, generation data groups, and
     partitioned data sets.
   * Support for mainframe EBCDIC files/records.
   * IMS DB/DC emulation for "PLITDLI" execution.
   * Dialog manager support of "ISPLINK" service calls.
   * Testing with MVS JCL, IMS, CICS or Dialog Manager driven applications.

MVS Workbench further enhances PL/I development by merging compiler error
messages into the source code as notes and automatically invokes the SPF
editor if the compiler return code is above a programmer specified severity
level. This is a programmer enabled option that eliminates the need for
listing or split screen debugging procedures used on the MVS mainframe.
This same behavior is provided with the MVS Workbench 32-bit COBOL Option.

PLITEST/INSPECT Interactive De{*filter*}

[Image]

PL/I for OS/2 includes the PLITEST/INSPECT GUI based interactive de{*filter*}
that allows the programmer to single step through a program, animate,
inspect fields, trap specific conditions, monitor variables, set break
points, and log variables during a program's execution.

[Image]

IMS and DB2 calls are logged displaying the PCB information and the I/O
area. This trace table can be routed to a file for subsequent analysis.

[Image]

The PL/I programmer has the ability to trap for virtually every possible
type of error condition. When the PLITEST interactive de{*filter*} detects the
requested breakpoint request, the program execution is halted and
positioned to the line of source code causing the problem.

The web page version can be found at:

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 02 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I -- The Microfocus MVS Workbench

Here are all of the abstracts for the PL/I Project sessions that will be
presented at SHARE 87 on New Orleans July 28 - August 3. Looks like we'll
have some really interesting presentations on the new PL/I products for
Windows as well as sessions on OO-PL/I, a PL/I programmers' workbench,
and a tutorial on building GUI applications interactively using the Visual
PL/I Toolkit. We still need a few volunteers to chair some sessions, so drop
me a note here if you're planning on attending SHARE and would like to
chair a session or two.....it's easy and you're guaranteed to get a good
seat and a copy of the handouts! :-)
Dave Jones
SHARE PL/I Project Manager
Title: PL/I Project Welcoming and Kick-off
Speaker: Dave Jones (VS1)
Session: 6100
Come to this session to find out what the PL/I Project has planned
for the week, and to meet and talk to other PL/I fans and aficionados.
Think PL/I's dead, that IBM and other compiler vendors have stopped
developing new versions with new features for new platforms?
Then stop by and see what kind of PL/I related sessions are scheduled,
including the one on the brand new PL/I for Windows 95 and NT that
IBM will be discussing, plus the ones by UnirPrise Systems outlining
their current and future platform plans. We'll even be giving away
to some lucky session attendee a free (!!) copy of PL/I for Windows 95
or NT. It all promises to be a very exciting week for PL/I users!

Title: PL/I Requirements discussion and voting
Speaker: Dave Jones (VS1)
Session: 6110
Vendors are always eager to hear what new functions and features
their users think are needed, and this is your opportunity to
let IBM know what you think is missing or needs to be added to their
suite of PL/I tools on *all* platforms where PL/I is supported: OS/2,
AIX, MVS, VM, and now, Windows 95/NT. We'll also review the status
of previously submitted requirements. Make your voice heard and your
opinions count as this robust language moves into the 21st. century.

Title: Visual PL/I:
Speaker: Barry Balk (IBM)
Session: 6103
Witness the power of Visual PL/I in building Graphical User
Interfaces (GUIs) for applications that run DB2/2 and
IMS Client Server/2.  Accelerate and simplify the building
of Presentation Manager applications in your favorite
language - PL/I.  See how you can 'drag and drop' your way
into the future with PL/I's visual programming tool.

Title:PL/I -- The migration to LE/370 and the Year 2000
Speaker: Peter Eldron (IBM)
Session: 6102
So, you are thinking of migrating your current PL/I applications
to the latest LE/370-enabled PL/I.  Many issues surrounding this
migration will be discussed, including:  common problems and thei
solutions, and some new features (e.g. a solution to the "year
2000" problem).  We hope to see you there.

Title:PL/I -- Now we do Windows
Speaker: Peter Eldron (IBM)
Session: 6101
PL/I is a vital part of the IBM language offerings and much
development activity is taking place.  This session will be an
opportunity for the PL/I development team to tell you about some of
our recent projects (e.g. PL/I for Windows NT and Windows 95).

PL/I Running under MVS On Your x86 PC
Speaker: Davinder Athwal (MF)
Session: 6104
The Micro Focus MVS Workbench provides an integrated development
environment for the development of S/370 applications using OS/2
right on your PC. Your PL/I, COBOL, and/or S/370 assembler
applications that use IMS DB/DC, DB2, MVS CICS, VSE CICS, ISPF
dialog manager, VSAM, IDCAMS, CLISTs and/or MVS sort can be
completely developed and tested.  Batch programs using JCL can
also be fully developed and tested.

MVS Workbench is as close as you can get to having MVS running
under OS/2 (or Windows NT/95) on your PC. It provides the
facilties and tools that include TSO and selected commands,
interactive and batch (via IKJEFT01) execution of these commands
CLIST support, DB2 MVS Call Attach Facility (DSNALI) with full
database integrity (using XDB or DB2/2), emulation of key MVS
control blocks such as PSA, CVT, TCB, TIOT, etc., as well as
emulation of PL/I S/370 run-time environment so your S/370
Assembler programs that rely on the PL/I environment can still
execute on the PC.

In addition, a suite of tools provided with the MVS workbench
allow you to do all of your development on the PC without any
reliance on a host S/370.  Further, your applications will
behave the same way as on a s/370 host with respect to EBCDIC,
S/370 style integers, S/370 style pointers, and hexadecimal
floating point.

With these tools and the state-of-the-art de{*filter*}s for PL/I,
COBOL, and S/370 assembler, you can multiply your productivity
many fold when developing, maintaining, and reengineering your
applications.

Learning to use the MVS Workbench takes little time. It uses
familiar TSO-like development approach, only much more
productive.

The purpose of this session is to discuss and demonstrate some
of the functions and facilities provided by the MVS workbench
with a particular emphasis on PL/I.

Title:Exxon's Implementation of a MVS - PL/I PC-based
      Developer's Workbench
Speaker: Liz Van Hof (Exxon)
Session: 6105
Liz Van Hof, Project Manager, Exxon Company, USA will discuss the
implementation of a PC Workbench for mainframe PL/I and COBOL developers
at Exxon.  Exxon has recently completed the rollout of this Workbench to
100+ developers.  A key component of the Workbench is IBM's PL/I compiler
and de{*filter*} for OS/2.  Other components include the MVS Workbench and Revolve
from Micro Focus, XDB Workbench from XDB, and TELON PWS from Computer
Associates.

The presentation will focus on the process used at Exxon to ensure a
successful implementation with an emphasis on key challenges and lessons
learned.

Title: CODEFORM -- The Source Code Reformatting Suite
Speaker: Paul Magnussen(VIS)
Session: 6106
According to Eric Vesely ("Cobol", ISBN 0-13-854050-0, P.220): "There is a
simple software package that yields 10 to 50 percent maintenance productivity
improvement.  That simple software package is a reformatter."

Magicon Inc. will demonstrate the company's PLIFORM reformatter for PL/I, and
discuss the forthcoming versions for Cobol, Rexx, Pascal and C/C++ (OS/2, MVS
& CMS platforms).  Beta versions will be demo'd, if available.  Suggestions
for features will be accepted.

Attendees (or others) who would like a preview, or who would like to submit
nonconfidential sample programs for demonstration, may contact the company at

Title: THE PL/I RENAISSANCE
Speaker: Rick Paul (VIS)
Session: 6107
On the one hand various analysts are proclaiming the death of the PL/I
programming language, citing reasons such as lack of platforms, limited
availability of PL/I programmers, and lack of programming tools.  On the
other, the PL/I programming community, numbering over a hundred thousand
programmers worldwide, are now making their presence felt via "{*filter*}space"
communities such as comp.lang.pl1, vocally defending their chosen
language, and citing numerous advantages over more popular languages such
as COBOL and C.  This presentation takes a look at the state of the PL/I
market today, including a survey of PL/I compiler offerings and platforms,
tools for PL/I application development, organizations providing PL/I
training, and other resources available to the organization using PL/I.
Emphasis is placed on providing information useful to organizations facing
the decision on whether to abandon PL/I altogether, phase it out over
time, or continue using PL/I with an expansion of its use.

Title: IMPROVING PL/I DEVELOPMENT PRODUCTIVITY WITH MODERN TOOLS AND
       PLATFORMS
Speaker: Rick Paul (VIS)
Session: 6108
Until recently, writing programs in PL/I meant writing on and for the
mainframe.  As PL/I developers broaden their horizons from the
mainframe only to include new platforms such as UNIX, OS/2, Windows NT,
and Windows 95, they gain access to a rich heritage of proven
cross-platform development solutions.  From program editors to
source code revision control systems, and beyond program generation
tools to new object-oriented development platforms, PL/I developers
can now take advantage of capabilities that previously benefited only
C and COBOL programmers.  This presentation gives an overview of the
tools available, introduces several new capabilities, and discusses the
benefits to PL/I programmers.

Title: Reengineering PL/I Applications with Analyzer PL/I
Speaker: Charles Stump (VIS)
Session: 6109
According to some estimates, 80% of all programming resources are devoted
to maintaining and reengineering existing source code. The high cost of
maintenance frequently prevents conversion to new software/hardware
technologies.

Reengineering requires analyzing and understanding large bodies of existing
source code. This code typically exhibits several of the following
characteristics that make it difficult to maintain: written in old
languages, running on obsolete platforms, uses old DBMS, no/poor
documentation, etc.

Large scale reengineering projects are dominated by their unique
requirements: unique hardware requirements, company-specific reengineering
protocols, mixed-language systems, etc.

Therefore, shrink-wrapped CASE tools alone rarely satisfy users' needs. You
need shrink-wrapped reengineering capabilities plus customizability. PL/I
Analyzer TM, a static analyzer for PL/I code,  in conjunction with Software
Refinery TM, a meta-CASE environment tailored to code analysis and
transformation, provides a powerful and flexible environment for software
maintenance and reengineering.

Title: Object-Oriented Programming in PL/I
Speakers:Richard Smedley (AMR)
         Dale Smith
Session: 6111

Object-Oriented Programming in PL/I describes the translation from generic
object-oriented language constructs to working PL/I code.  Pragmatic
definitions for "class", "object", "inheritance" and "polymorphism" are
presented ...

read more »

Fri, 13 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. MicroFocus Workbench/CICS option

2. Wang COBOL on MicroFocus Workbench

3. MicroFocus Cobol Workbench v3.2x

4. cpp migration MicroFocus Workbench 2 NetExpress

5. microfocus workbench

6. MicroFocus Cobol Workbench

7. MicroFocus Cobol Workbench 4.0?

8. Microfocus Workbench 3.2.43

9. MICROFOCUS COBOL WORKBENCH VERSION 3.1 TO 4.0

10. Looking for latest version update for Microfocus workbench v3.2.43

11. OS/2 DosDEvIOCtl call in Microfocus COBOL Workbench (3.2.27)

12. COBOL Workbench for MVS, DB2, and CICS Development/Maintenance