It's not PL/1, it's PL/I
Author Message
 It's not PL/1, it's PL/I

Quote:

>This newsgroup has the wrong name.  Comparable to "comp.lang.d"
>or "comp.sys.uniz".

>This may have been the first fact I learned at an IBM software
>training course in 1967.  They had the lab system set up so if you
>put in JCL invoking "PL/1" you got a program that printed

>    IT'S NOT PL/1, IT'S PL/I

    I would hope its consistent.

    The name was hashed and rehashed in the various RFDs (request for
    discussion) in news.groups.

    I take it you were not there?

    In any case, this is the name that got the majority vote.
    The other choices being considered were:

        comp.lang.pli
        comp.lang.pl-i

    In 6 months you can post a RFD to change the name in news.groups.
    Until then, there's really not much point to further discusion
    about it.

    Later,
--

   "In your heart you know its flat."
                           -Flat Earth Society

Tue, 30 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 It's not PL/1, it's PL/I

Quote:

>: Actually, it is both. The language originated as PL/1 and then became PL/I.
>: For instance, IBM mainframe level L compiler was still calling itself PL/1,
>: whereas PLIX optimizer is PL/I.
>: Tony Konashenok
>I think, perhaps, that the language is PL/1 - for "programming language 1",
>but that the IBM dialect is PL/I. However, just to confuse matters, the
>VMS extension for PL/1 programs is .pli.

Whereas in Stratus VOS (a rather fine PRIMOS-derived OS, written in PL/I)
it's '.pl1'.  Maybe that's because they only supported the (utterly bogus)
ANSI subset... :)

jb

Wed, 01 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 It's not PL/1, it's PL/I

Quote:

>>: Actually, it is both. The language originated as PL/1 and then became PL/I.
>>: For instance, IBM mainframe level L compiler was still calling itself PL/1,
>>: whereas PLIX optimizer is PL/I.

>>: Tony Konashenok
>>I think, perhaps, that the language is PL/1 - for "programming language 1",
>>but that the IBM dialect is PL/I. However, just to confuse matters, the
>>VMS extension for PL/1 programs is .pli.

>Whereas in Stratus VOS (a rather fine PRIMOS-derived OS, written in PL/I)
>it's '.pl1'.  Maybe that's because they only supported the (utterly bogus)
>ANSI subset... :)

As one of the designers of VOS, I would like to point out that
VOS is derived directly from Multics.  While we used PRIMOS as
our bootstrapping system, we copied very few ideas from it
(ideas that were unique to PRIMOS, that is.  Since PRIMOS is
also derived from Multics, there is substantial similarity
between the 3 operating systems).

For example, I made sure that the binder that I wrote for VOS
looked nothing at all like the PRIMOS "seg" command.  ;-)

PG
--

Director, VOS Planning   | Voice: +1 508-460-2557   FAX: +1 508-460-0397
Stratus Computer, Inc.   | Video: PictureTel/AT&T by request.

Mon, 06 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 It's not PL/1, it's PL/I

Quote:

>As one of the designers of VOS, I would like to point out that
>VOS is derived directly from Multics.  While we used PRIMOS as
>our bootstrapping system, we copied very few ideas from it
>(ideas that were unique to PRIMOS, that is.  Since PRIMOS is
>also derived from Multics, there is substantial similarity
>between the 3 operating systems).
>For example, I made sure that the binder that I wrote for VOS
>looked nothing at all like the PRIMOS "seg" command.  ;-)

Thank you for delivering one of the finest OSes I have yet worked on -

I have worked on

MVS/ESA with ISPF/TSO
VM/CMS
Burroughs 6700, 5900 and 1800 MCPs, A3 and A9
Several Variants of Unix
OS/2
Windows , 95, NT

and Stratus VOS

Stratus VOS has almost all the advantages of working with the best
features of all the above OSs.

Quote:
>PG
>--

>Director, VOS Planning   | Voice: +1 508-460-2557   FAX: +1 508-460-0397
>Stratus Computer, Inc.   | Video: PictureTel/AT&T by request.
>Marlboro, MA  01752      | Disclaimer: I speak for myself, not Stratus.

--
Sathsangatve    nissangatvam   From good company to no company
Nissangatve      nirmohatvam   From no company to lack of desire

Mon, 06 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. It's not PL/1, it's PL/I

2. PL/I to 'C' conversion -- PL/I compilers

3. Please do not respond to David Frank's trolls in PL/I news groups (was: PL/I cant read arbitrary files)

4. Need PL/I's BNF Discription

5. User's Personal PL/I Neural Network Leaks

6. Why didn't PL/I take off?

7. How old's this PL/I ?

8. Need PL/I's BNF Discription

9. Need PL/I's BNF Description

10. PL/1 for NT: Won't LINK object files correctly

11. Instructor's Guide for Hughes PL/I book

12. PL/I's leave