freeware PL/1?
Author Message
 freeware PL/1?

I'm looking for a freeware/shareware version of a PL/1 compiler to use on a
PC.  Anyone know where I can find it?

Thanks,
--
Karen McArthur

Tue, 13 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 freeware PL/1?

Quote:
> I'm looking for a freeware/shareware version of a PL/1 compiler to use on a
> PC.  Anyone know where I can find it?

The DR PL/I compiler for DOS is free for non-commercial use.

For a link, look in:

http://www.users.bigpond.com/robin_v/resource.htm

Quote:
> Thanks,
> --
> Karen McArthur

Tue, 13 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 freeware PL/1?

Wed, 14 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 freeware PL/1?

Quote:

> I'm looking for a freeware/shareware version of a PL/1 compiler to use on a
> PC.  Anyone know where I can find it?

I'll finally ask this question which I've been {*filter*} down for some time:
Has there ever been any interest in creating a GPL'd PL/1?

Quote:

+-------------------->
| Nick Geovanis            Indeed I tremble for my country when
| IT Computing Svcs          I reflect that God is just: that his
| Northwestern Univ          justice cannot sleep forever...

Tue, 20 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 freeware PL/1?
What do you mean with GPL'd PL/I?

b rgds
Markus Loew

Nicholas Geovanis schrieb in Nachricht ...

Quote:

>> I'm looking for a freeware/shareware version of a PL/1 compiler to use on
>> PC.  Anyone know where I can find it?

>I'll finally ask this question which I've been {*filter*} down for some time:
>Has there ever been any interest in creating a GPL'd PL/1?

>> Thanks,
>> --
>> Karen McArthur

>+-------------------->
>| Nick Geovanis            Indeed I tremble for my country when
>| IT Computing Svcs          I reflect that God is just: that his
>| Northwestern Univ          justice cannot sleep forever...

Thu, 22 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 freeware PL/1?
Do you mean GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE ?
Who can do that ?

Just one remark to the downloadable PL/I for DOS:
The DR PL/I which must be run under a Z80 / CPM-80
emulation is a very limited, but relatively powerful subset.
(close to the SUBSET G specifications)
Unfortunately almost all examples must be modified
when porting them to VA PL/I for Windows+OS2.

g rgds
Markus Loew

Nicholas Geovanis schrieb in Nachricht ...

Quote:

>> I'm looking for a freeware/shareware version of a PL/1 compiler to use on
>> PC.  Anyone know where I can find it?

>I'll finally ask this question which I've been {*filter*} down for some time:
>Has there ever been any interest in creating a GPL'd PL/1?

>> Thanks,
>> --
>> Karen McArthur

>+-------------------->
>| Nick Geovanis            Indeed I tremble for my country when
>| IT Computing Svcs          I reflect that God is just: that his
>| Northwestern Univ          justice cannot sleep forever...

Thu, 22 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 freeware PL/1?

Quote:

> > I'm looking for a freeware/shareware version of a PL/1 compiler to use on a
> > PC.  Anyone know where I can find it?

> I'll finally ask this question which I've been {*filter*} down for some time:
> Has there ever been any interest in creating a GPL'd PL/1?

My understanding is that there were plans to develop Gnu PL/I several
years ago, but they were dropped, probably because of the complexity of
PL/I vis-a-vis C, fortran etc.  I don't believe anyone is currently
talking about it.

Fri, 23 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 freeware PL/1?

Quote:

>> I'll finally ask this question which I've been {*filter*} down for some
time:
>> Has there ever been any interest in creating a GPL'd PL/1?

>My understanding is that there were plans to develop Gnu PL/I several
>years ago, but they were dropped, probably because of the complexity of
>PL/I vis-a-vis C, FORTRAN etc.  I don't believe anyone is currently
>talking about it.

How terribly sad - had a GNU PL/I compiler been developed, it would have
made things _so_much_better_ for us all - some real competition for IBM and
Liant would then have been present!  Besides, isn't Ada also quite a
complicated language;  and yet GNU has developed Gnat Ada for it.  If they
could do so for them, they surely can do the same for PL/I;  and I hope with
all my heart that they will do so before too long!
--
"I run to Death, and Death meets me as fast, and all my pleasures are as
yesterday" - John Donne

Fri, 23 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 freeware PL/1?

Quote:

> >> I'll finally ask this question which I've been {*filter*} down for some
> time:
> >> Has there ever been any interest in creating a GPL'd PL/1?

> >My understanding is that there were plans to develop Gnu PL/I several
> >years ago, but they were dropped, probably because of the complexity of
> >PL/I vis-a-vis C, FORTRAN etc.  I don't believe anyone is currently
> >talking about it.

> How terribly sad - had a GNU PL/I compiler been developed, it would have
> made things _so_much_better_ for us all - some real competition for IBM and
> Liant would then have been present!  Besides, isn't Ada also quite a
> complicated language;  and yet GNU has developed Gnat Ada for it.  If they
> could do so for them, they surely can do the same for PL/I;  and I hope with
> all my heart that they will do so before too long!

I believe that GNU Ada came about because of some govt. contracts...

Money does talk.

    - Dave Rivers -

--

Get your mainframe (370) `C' compiler at http://www.*-*-*.com/

Tue, 27 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. freeware PL/I?

2. freeware PL/1?

3. FREEWARE: Dalby Source Printer for Clarion is now freeware

4. Freeware announcement: Dalby Source Printer released as freeware

5. Logo Komeniusz PL (Logo Comenius PL)

6. Derivation of PL/I (was Usenet group for PL/M language)

7. Mapping local files to FILE declarations in PL/I with IBM VisualAge PL./I for Windows

8. Difference PL/1 PL/I

9. What is the difference between DEC PL/1 and OS/390 PL/1

10. Initialization Expressions in PL/I (was ANSI PL/I)

11. Migrating from OS/VS PL/I to VA PL/I

12. PL/I FAQ -- Frequently asked questions about PL/I (minor update)