Help! Personal compiler v2.1 
Author Message
 Help! Personal compiler v2.1

This is a plea for help.

I just purchased the personal PL/I compiler for Windows for $113.00
from the IBM site. After downloading the installation file and running
it, and then rebooting the computer, I got several new icons on the
startup bar.

Other than that I can't make anything work.

First I got a lot of troubles trying to read the documentation,
because some files were missing; I downoaded the zip file from the
`fixes' directory, and got the documentation.

But the compiler is still not working!!! Whenever I try to do, say,
pli hello.pli

it says `Bad command'.

I ran a search on my computer, there is no file called pli.exe or
ilink.exe

None of the exe files in the ibmpliw\bin directory is a compiler,
although the de{*filter*} has been apparently installed.

I tried re-downloading the installation file because I suspected it
might have been corrupted, but every time I got the same results
(i.e., none).

I've been playing with this beastly things for three hours now, and I
am exteremely frustrated. Either there is something terribly wrong
with the file that IBM is offereing for download, or I am a complete
idiot (or both).

Any help or suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam G.



Fri, 24 Jun 2005 05:50:58 GMT  
 Help! Personal compiler v2.1
What O/S?


Quote:
> This is a plea for help.

> I just purchased the personal PL/I compiler for Windows for $113.00
> from the IBM site. After downloading the installation file and running
> it, and then rebooting the computer, I got several new icons on the
> startup bar.

> Other than that I can't make anything work.

> First I got a lot of troubles trying to read the documentation,
> because some files were missing; I downoaded the zip file from the
> `fixes' directory, and got the documentation.

> But the compiler is still not working!!! Whenever I try to do, say,
> pli hello.pli

> it says `Bad command'.

> I ran a search on my computer, there is no file called pli.exe or
> ilink.exe

> None of the exe files in the ibmpliw\bin directory is a compiler,
> although the de{*filter*} has been apparently installed.

> I tried re-downloading the installation file because I suspected it
> might have been corrupted, but every time I got the same results
> (i.e., none).

> I've been playing with this beastly things for three hours now, and I
> am exteremely frustrated. Either there is something terribly wrong
> with the file that IBM is offereing for download, or I am a complete
> idiot (or both).

> Any help or suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks,

> Adam G.



Sun, 26 Jun 2005 15:08:51 GMT  
 Help! Personal compiler v2.1
Thanks, you were right on target. I was using Windows 98, and I was
naively assuming that it would work, because the VA demo worked O.K.

I reluctantly upgraded to Windows XP, uninstalled and reinstalled the
compiler,
and it almost worked (it would create obj files, but not link them).
After a bit of tweaking the autoexec.bat, I finally got the linker to
work, too. I haven't tried any larger projects, though, so I can't be
sure it will always work as supposed.

Anyway, I have a pli compiler on my computer now, and I am happy. I
haven't programmed in pl/i since 1981, when I had to punch my programs
on cards and wait three days for the printout.

On a sadder note, after I switched to Windows XP, half of the other
things on the computer are irrevocably dead, including Norton
Antivirus.

I hate Microsoft.

Thanks for your help.

Yours,

Adam G.

Quote:

> What O/S?



> > This is a plea for help.

> > I just purchased the personal PL/I compiler for Windows for $113.00
> > from the IBM site. After downloading the installation file and running
> > it, and then rebooting the computer, I got several new icons on the
> > startup bar.

> > Other than that I can't make anything work.



Tue, 28 Jun 2005 02:17:32 GMT  
 Help! Personal compiler v2.1
Have you tried "compatibility mode? Many things that say they will not work
will work under compatibility mode.

Ed

Quote:
> Thanks, you were right on target. I was using Windows 98, and I was
> naively assuming that it would work, because the VA demo worked O.K.

> I reluctantly upgraded to Windows XP, uninstalled and reinstalled the
> compiler,
> and it almost worked (it would create obj files, but not link them).
> After a bit of tweaking the autoexec.bat, I finally got the linker to
> work, too. I haven't tried any larger projects, though, so I can't be
> sure it will always work as supposed.

> Anyway, I have a pli compiler on my computer now, and I am happy. I
> haven't programmed in pl/i since 1981, when I had to punch my programs
> on cards and wait three days for the printout.

> On a sadder note, after I switched to Windows XP, half of the other
> things on the computer are irrevocably dead, including Norton
> Antivirus.

> I hate Microsoft.

> Thanks for your help.

> Yours,

> Adam G.




- Show quoted text -

Quote:
> > What O/S?



> > > This is a plea for help.

> > > I just purchased the personal PL/I compiler for Windows for $113.00
> > > from the IBM site. After downloading the installation file and running
> > > it, and then rebooting the computer, I got several new icons on the
> > > startup bar.

> > > Other than that I can't make anything work.



Tue, 28 Jun 2005 08:35:35 GMT  
 Help! Personal compiler v2.1
You'll need to upgrade your Norton Antivirus to an XP version, or - if you
already have a recent version - reinstall it to get the XP drivers. XP and
98 are *completely different* systems, with only a visual similarity (and
common family brand name).



Quote:
> Have you tried "compatibility mode? Many things that say they will not
work
> will work under compatibility mode.

> Ed


> > Thanks, you were right on target. I was using Windows 98, and I was
> > naively assuming that it would work, because the VA demo worked O.K.

> > I reluctantly upgraded to Windows XP, uninstalled and reinstalled the
> > compiler,
> > and it almost worked (it would create obj files, but not link them).
> > After a bit of tweaking the autoexec.bat, I finally got the linker to
> > work, too. I haven't tried any larger projects, though, so I can't be
> > sure it will always work as supposed.

> > Anyway, I have a pli compiler on my computer now, and I am happy. I
> > haven't programmed in pl/i since 1981, when I had to punch my programs
> > on cards and wait three days for the printout.

> > On a sadder note, after I switched to Windows XP, half of the other
> > things on the computer are irrevocably dead, including Norton
> > Antivirus.

> > I hate Microsoft.

> > Thanks for your help.

> > Yours,

> > Adam G.



> > > What O/S?



> > > > This is a plea for help.

> > > > I just purchased the personal PL/I compiler for Windows for $113.00
> > > > from the IBM site. After downloading the installation file and
running
> > > > it, and then rebooting the computer, I got several new icons on the
> > > > startup bar.

> > > > Other than that I can't make anything work.



Tue, 28 Jun 2005 16:26:20 GMT  
 Help! Personal compiler v2.1
I've been looking for an affordable PL/I compiler for any of Windows 98,
Windows XP, or some flavor of Linux.  Personal PL/I seems the best bet
if it'll work with XP.  How did you have to change autoexec.bat to
get it to work?

Thanks.

Bob Lidral

Quote:

> Thanks, you were right on target. I was using Windows 98, and I was
> naively assuming that it would work, because the VA demo worked O.K.

> I reluctantly upgraded to Windows XP, uninstalled and reinstalled the
> compiler,
> and it almost worked (it would create obj files, but not link them).
> After a bit of tweaking the autoexec.bat, I finally got the linker to
> work, too. I haven't tried any larger projects, though, so I can't be
> sure it will always work as supposed.

> Anyway, I have a pli compiler on my computer now, and I am happy. I
> haven't programmed in pl/i since 1981, when I had to punch my programs
> on cards and wait three days for the printout.

> On a sadder note, after I switched to Windows XP, half of the other
> things on the computer are irrevocably dead, including Norton
> Antivirus.

> I hate Microsoft.

> Thanks for your help.

> Yours,

> Adam G.


> > What O/S?



> > > This is a plea for help.

> > > I just purchased the personal PL/I compiler for Windows for $113.00
> > > from the IBM site. After downloading the installation file and running
> > > it, and then rebooting the computer, I got several new icons on the
> > > startup bar.

> > > Other than that I can't make anything work.



Tue, 05 Jul 2005 06:23:20 GMT  
 Help! Personal compiler v2.1
XP doesn't have an autoexec.bat (not quite true - it will parse one to
support DOS programs that inist on using autoexec.bat to set up their
environment variables). You do not need to do anything to autoexec.bat -
PL/I is a Windows application,not a DOS app. Just install a supported
version of PL/I on the corresponding supported platform.

Robin's the expert on Personal PL/I - I always recommend going to VA PL/I.
This of course may not be what you call "affordable".

Note that VA PL/I is not supposed to run on W95/98/ME, but programs can be
compiled for these platforms from the supportede WNT/2K/XP. There is no
Linux compiler (at least not at the moment).


Quote:
> I've been looking for an affordable PL/I compiler for any of Windows 98,
> Windows XP, or some flavor of Linux.  Personal PL/I seems the best bet
> if it'll work with XP.  How did you have to change autoexec.bat to
> get it to work?

> Thanks.

> Bob Lidral


> > Thanks, you were right on target. I was using Windows 98, and I was
> > naively assuming that it would work, because the VA demo worked O.K.

> > I reluctantly upgraded to Windows XP, uninstalled and reinstalled the
> > compiler,
> > and it almost worked (it would create obj files, but not link them).
> > After a bit of tweaking the autoexec.bat, I finally got the linker to
> > work, too. I haven't tried any larger projects, though, so I can't be
> > sure it will always work as supposed.

> > Anyway, I have a pli compiler on my computer now, and I am happy. I
> > haven't programmed in pl/i since 1981, when I had to punch my programs
> > on cards and wait three days for the printout.

> > On a sadder note, after I switched to Windows XP, half of the other
> > things on the computer are irrevocably dead, including Norton
> > Antivirus.

> > I hate Microsoft.

> > Thanks for your help.

> > Yours,

> > Adam G.




- Show quoted text -

Quote:
> > > What O/S?



> > > > This is a plea for help.

> > > > I just purchased the personal PL/I compiler for Windows for $113.00
> > > > from the IBM site. After downloading the installation file and
running
> > > > it, and then rebooting the computer, I got several new icons on the
> > > > startup bar.

> > > > Other than that I can't make anything work.



Tue, 05 Jul 2005 14:57:33 GMT  
 Help! Personal compiler v2.1
in comp.lang.pl1 i read:

Quote:
>There is no Linux compiler (at least not at the moment).

unless one wants to compile and run under hercules.

--
bringing you boring signatures for 17 years



Tue, 05 Jul 2005 19:45:19 GMT  
 
 [ 8 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Mikro Focus Cobol Compiler 3.0/ Personal Cobol Compiler 2.0

2. newbie--micro-focus personal compiler

3. Seeking advice for purchasing Cobol personal Compiler for PC

4. Low-Cost Personal COBOL Compilers - Where?

5. Micro Focus Personal Cobol Compiler

6. icrofocus personal compiler ver. 2.0.02

7. (a personal) comparison of Fortran 90 compilers

8. Clacom V2, compiler errors : indistinguishable new prototype

9. SOFTWARE: Native XDS-x86 v2.20 (Modula-2/Oberon-2 compiler)

10. SOFTWARE: Native XDS-x86 v2.20 (Modula-2/Oberon-2 compiler)

11. XDS v2.0 DEMO is available (Modula-2/Oberon-2 to C compilers)

12. SOFTWARE: Native XDS-x86 v2.20 (Modula-2/Oberon-2 compiler)

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software