PL/1 compiler
Author Message
 PL/1 compiler

I have been working with PL/1 in a development department for about 10
months, but end up getting to fix little things, as you can expext to do
when your new.  I'd like a cheap compiler so I can pratice at home, does
anyone know of any ?

Tue, 20 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/1 compiler

Quote:

> I have been working with PL/1 in a development department for about 10
> months, but end up getting to fix little things, as you can expext to do
> when your new.

Join the club. 3 Months and still no projects or anything really cool.

Quote:
>  I'd like a cheap compiler so I can pratice at home, does
> anyone know of any ?

It's sort of expensive, but the real (ie mainframe) compiler goes for
like
half a million dollars (or so I've been told).

http://www.software.ibm.com/ad/pli/

If you just need practice I suggest you just pick up a PL/I book from a
university bookstore (or the like) and do the practice problems in
there.
Worked wonders for me.

--
Bub
bub at videotron dot ca

        " Thank your programmer promptly and willingly :
                you should consider it a privilege to aid in the
                well-being of programmers and other humanitarians "

Tue, 20 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/1 compiler
Pick up the IBM PL/I for Windows NT compiler. It also does cooperative
host - NT development, implements pretty well everything, and can be used to
create native NT and '95 programs too. OS/2 version also comes in the box.

As a mainframe shop, you may be entitled to special pricing - talk to your
SE.

Tue, 20 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/1 compiler

Quote:

> >  I'd like a cheap compiler so I can pratice at home, does
> > anyone know of any ?

> It's sort of expensive, but the real (ie mainframe) compiler goes for
> like
> half a million dollars (or so I've been told).

Yes, but the OS/2 PL/I personal edition is slightly <g> less expensive. Check
with Indelible Blue or whoever for the current price; I believe that you will
find it quite affordable.

--

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
Reply to host nsf (dot) gov, user smetz

Tue, 20 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/1 compiler

Quote:
>I have been working with PL/1 in a development department for about 10
>months, but end up getting to fix little things, as you can expext to do
>when your new.  I'd like a cheap compiler so I can pratice at home, does
>anyone know of any ?

You could obtain IBM's PL/I for OS/2, or Windows NT, or AIX.

If you have DOS, you might be interested in the Digital Research
PL/I compiler (free).

This compiler is a subset.

To find out how to download it, visit the FAQ:

http://www.users.bigpond.com/robin_v/pli_faq.htm

Posted from NewsReader in OS/2

Wed, 21 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/1 compiler
On Fri, 02 Oct 1998 13:05:02 -0400, "Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz"

Quote:

>Yes, but the OS/2 PL/I personal edition is slightly <g> less expensive. Check
>with Indelible Blue or whoever for the current price; I believe that you will
>find it quite affordable.

Last I heard, the street price was around $2500.  Is that no longer
true or do you have an unusual definition for 'affordable'?

Frank Clarke
Tampa Area REXX Programmers' Alliance (TARPA)
Member of the REXX Language Assn
  Join us at http://www/rexxla.org

Wed, 21 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/1 compiler

Quote:

>On Fri, 02 Oct 1998 13:05:02 -0400, "Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz"

>>Yes, but the OS/2 PL/I personal edition is slightly <g> less expensive. Check
>>with Indelible Blue or whoever for the current price; I believe that you will
>>find it quite affordable.

>Last I heard, the street price was around $2500.  Is that no longer
>true or do you have an unusual definition for 'affordable'?

When I bought it, the OS/2 PL/I personal edition was $250.  Unfortunatly,
I haven't had time to dedicate a machine to OS/2 so both the personal
edition PL/1 and OS/2 Warp 4 are gathering dust on the shelf.

The professional version for 95/NT & OS/2? was $750 last I looked.

Thu, 22 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/1 compiler

Quote:

>>On Fri, 02 Oct 1998 13:05:02 -0400, "Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz"

>When I bought it, the OS/2 PL/I personal edition was $250.  Unfortunatly,
>I haven't had time to dedicate a machine to OS/2 so both the personal
>edition PL/1 and OS/2 Warp 4 are gathering dust on the shelf.

If you're using DOS, you don;t need a dedicated
machine to run OS/2.  You can use the dual boot system,
and you can easily boot from OS/2 to DOS  and vice-versa.

If you've got some other setup, you can get a boot manager
so that you boot up any system that you want.

As another option, you can swap the D and C drives, and
install a bootable OS/2 system on the old D drive.

Fri, 23 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/1 compiler
Hi All,

Try IBM - ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/pli

It had OS/2 and 95/Nt versions (1.2 and 2.0) last time I looked. you may
need to go a few steeps deeper to find the 'DEMO'S'.

Hope this helps
Regards,
Mark Williams

Fri, 23 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/1 compiler

Quote:

>>>On Fri, 02 Oct 1998 13:05:02 -0400, "Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz"

>>When I bought it, the OS/2 PL/I personal edition was $250.  Unfortunatly,
>>I haven't had time to dedicate a machine to OS/2 so both the personal
>>edition PL/1 and OS/2 Warp 4 are gathering dust on the shelf.

>If you're using DOS, you don;t need a dedicated
>machine to run OS/2.  You can use the dual boot system,
>and you can easily boot from OS/2 to DOS  and vice-versa.

>If you've got some other setup, you can get a boot manager
>so that you boot up any system that you want.

>As another option, you can swap the D and C drives, and
>install a bootable OS/2 system on the old D drive.

Unfortunatly all the machines here have dedicated jobs.  Mine now runs
the accounting, billing, etc for the company so I can't just reboot it
as needed.  A customer calls and wants to know their bililng status,
I can't wait several minutes to shutdown and cheange OS's.  There may
still be an OS/2 partition on the drive, but it hasnt' been used in over
a year.  I do run a boot manager, it made the transition from win3.x to
win98 alot easier.  The only problem I'm running into is win98 seems to
refuse to run MS win3.1 applications so I've had to go back to lotus123
from excell since MS excell no longer runs under windows.  All my non-MS
products run perferctly fine under win 98.

Fri, 23 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 27 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. PL/I (was: IBM Needs to seed the PL/I Compiler)

2. PL/I compiler wanted!!

3. PL/I Compiler Vendors wanted

4. PL/I compiler/info?

5. PL/1 compiler for DOS/WIN/OS2 ?

6. Current IBM PL/I compilers

7. Open Source PL/1 Compilers?

8. New PL/I Compiler announced today

9. PL/CT Compiler. Cross-posted from PL1-L

10. Query Re OS/2 2.1 Beta Developer Edition PL/I Compiler

11. looking for a PL/I compiler for 386+ in MSDOS or NT-DOS

12. Seeking Talented Programmers to Implement Public Domain 32-Bit PL/I Compiler