Fortran to PL/I
Author Message
 Fortran to PL/I

Quote:

> Apparently no-one has enuf PL/I skills to translate my 1st example,
> due to PL/I not having any work-arounds its lack of stream i/o
> capability.

It's not that at all.

It's just that nobody can be bothered.
This is trivial in PL/I.
And it can be done in PL/I line-by-line or character-by-character.

Fri, 09 Dec 2005 21:34:25 GMT
 Fortran to PL/I

"fortran to PL/I translation"

Quote:

> > Apparently no-one has enuf PL/I skills to translate my 1st
example,
> > due to PL/I not having any work-arounds its lack of stream i/o
> > capability.

> It's not that at all.

> It's just that nobody can be bothered.
> This is trivial in PL/I.
> And it can be done in PL/I line-by-line or character-by-character.

Prove it by writing an equivalent program that can allocate max record
length buffer and process the lines AS STRINGS in the program, else
quit opening topics that invite fortran source to be translated to
PL/I..

! ----------------------------------
program test
implicit none
character,allocatable :: line(:)  ! unlimited text char array buf
integer :: n, maxrecord, numrec

call get_file_info('test.txt',maxrecord,numrec)
allocate ( line(maxrecord) )
open (1,file='test1.txt')
do n = 1,numrec          ! process records in file as strings
   call input(maxrecord,line)
end do
end program
! ----------------------------------
subroutine get_file_info(fname,maxrecord,numrec)
character(*) :: fname
integer :: n, maxrecord, numrec
character :: ch

open (1,file=fname,form='binary')
n = 0 ; maxrecord = 0 ; numrec = 0
do
    n = n+1
    read (1,end=100) ch
    if (ch == char(10)) then
       if (n > maxrecord) maxrecord = n   ! maxrec length
       n = 0
       numrec = numrec+1    ! count records in file
    end if
end do
100 close (1)
end subroutine get_file_info
! ----------------------------------
subroutine input(maxrecord,line)
integer :: maxrecord
character(maxrecord) :: line    ! use as string in this routine
read (1,'(a)') line
write (*,*) trim(line)    ! output line as string
end subroutine

Fri, 09 Dec 2005 23:50:36 GMT
 Fortran to PL/I

Quote:

> "Fortran to PL/I translation"

> > > Apparently no-one has enuf PL/I skills to translate my 1st
> example,
> > > due to PL/I not having any work-arounds its lack of stream i/o
> > > capability.

> > It's not that at all.

> > It's just that nobody can be bothered.
> > This is trivial in PL/I.
> > And it can be done in PL/I line-by-line or character-by-character.

> Prove it by writing an equivalent program that can allocate max record
> length buffer and process the lines AS STRINGS in the program,

Nobody wants to bother.  Get it?

Fri, 09 Dec 2005 23:54:49 GMT
 Fortran to PL/I

Quote:

> > Prove it by writing an equivalent program that can allocate max
record
> > length buffer and process the lines AS STRINGS in the program,

> Nobody wants to bother.  Get it?

Then quit opening topics that invite  "Fortran to PL/I translation"

GET IT ?

Sat, 10 Dec 2005 00:17:35 GMT
 Fortran to PL/I

Quote:

> > > Prove it by writing an equivalent program that can allocate max
> record
> > > length buffer and process the lines AS STRINGS in the program,

> > Nobody wants to bother.  Get it?

> Then quit opening topics that invite  "Fortran to PL/I translation"

> GET IT ?

You still don't get it.
YOU started the PL/I to Fortran thread, of which the above
was a continuation.

GO AWAY.

Sun, 11 Dec 2005 11:02:53 GMT
 Fortran to PL/I
Apropos this topic. I'm still looking for the source for IBM's FORTRAN
to PL/I conversion aid FDP.  I've heard it wasn't great, and is now
somewhat dated, but if anyone's got a copy, I'd love to get it.

Mon, 12 Dec 2005 05:56:41 GMT
 Fortran to PL/I

Quote:
> Apropos this topic. I'm still looking for the source for IBM's
FORTRAN
> to PL/I conversion aid FDP.  I've heard it wasn't great, and is now
> somewhat dated, but if anyone's got a copy, I'd love to get it.

Kinda useless to use Fortran IV ? to PL/I translator on ANY Fortran
source of today I would think..

BTW, how about your opinion whether the source I posted 2 messages
back on the 23rd can be translated to PL/I, yes/no?

Mon, 12 Dec 2005 16:47:26 GMT
 Fortran to PL/I

Quote:

> BTW, how about your opinion whether the source I posted 2 messages
> back on the 23rd can be translated to PL/I, yes/no?

Hmmm, Peter Flass has no reply,
therefor I will just add this source to my archive of such useful
Fortran example code that cant be translated to PL/I

Wed, 14 Dec 2005 18:32:00 GMT
 Fortran to PL/I

Quote:

> > BTW, how about your opinion whether the source I posted 2 messages
> > back on the 23rd can be translated to PL/I, yes/no?

> Hmmm, Peter Flass has no reply,
> therefor I will just add this source to my archive of such useful
> Fortran example code that cant be translated to PL/I

Richard, your trivial example can be translated to PL/I.
We've told you that before.

Wed, 14 Dec 2005 22:17:05 GMT
 Fortran to PL/I

Quote:

> > > BTW, how about your opinion whether the source I posted 2
messages
> > > back on the 23rd can be translated to PL/I, yes/no?

> > Hmmm, Peter Flass has no reply,
> > therefor I will just add this source to my archive of such useful
> > Fortran example code that cant be translated to PL/I

> Richard, your trivial example can be translated to PL/I.
> We've told you that before.

Sparrow, whereas I would accept Flass saying my source can be
translated, past history has taught me to not accept your translations
that have seldom IF EVER worked as advertised.
If you do post a translation someone must confirm it works..

Heres a deal, you post your translation of my "trivial" example and if
someone tries it and confirms it copies a text file to screen (using
same features I use, "unlimited" allocated text buffer and process of
records via equivalenced string syntax), I will refrain from rattling
cages here for 2 months, lets say Sept. 1
How can you or some other PL/I diehard refuse such an offer, ha ha ...

Thu, 15 Dec 2005 19:11:46 GMT
 Fortran to PL/I

Quote:

>>BTW, how about your opinion whether the source I posted 2 messages
>>back on the 23rd can be translated to PL/I, yes/no?

> Hmmm, Peter Flass has no reply,
> therefor I will just add this source to my archive of such useful
> Fortran example code that cant be translated to PL/I

Note to newbies:  David Frank is a demented stalker with severe issues
regarding PL/I.  Pay no attention to anything he says; he regularly lies.

The fact that we're all onto him, and consequently ignore his ravings,
should not be taken as evidence of anything but that.

--
John W. Kennedy
"Sweet, was Christ crucified to create this chat?"

Fri, 16 Dec 2005 11:21:49 GMT
 Fortran to PL/I

Quote:

> >>BTW, how about your opinion whether the source I posted 2 messages
> >>back on the 23rd can be translated to PL/I, yes/no?

> > Hmmm, Peter Flass has no reply,
> > therefor I will just add this source to my archive of such useful
> > Fortran example code that cant be translated to PL/I

> Note to newbies:  David Frank is a demented stalker with severe
issues
> regarding PL/I.  Pay no attention to anything he says; he regularly
lies.

Unlike some regulars here, I TELL IT LIKE IT IS, occasionally I am
proven wrong about a statement of mine and I have no qualms admitting
it.
I have yet to see a retractment from Robin when he is proven wrong,
all we get is SILENCE.

OTOH, several here do deliberately lie trying to cover up the true
facts about PL/I.  The latest lie being my example is a "trivial"
translation and can be easily translated to PL/I..

Robin, pls make the following addition/corrections to your "FAQ"
1. PL/I is NOT more powerful than Fortran
2. PL/I is a dying language
3. PL/I adherents are old guys trying to hold out to retirement

Fri, 16 Dec 2005 16:56:10 GMT

1. Fortran to PL/I translation

2. Fortran to PL/I translation

3. Fortran and PL/I

4. C -> Fortran <- PL/I

5. Fortran and PL/I constant arg

6. Fortran and PL/I constant arg

7. Fortran to PL/I translation

8. calling fortran from pl/sql

9. Yet another Fortran example that can be translated to PL/I

10. PL/I outflanks Fortran

11. Fortran.NET Preview for Pathetic PL/I PC-DOS losers

12. PL/I vs. Fortran number-crunching runtimes