Migrating from OS/VS PL/I to VA PL/I
Author Message
 Migrating from OS/VS PL/I to VA PL/I

(snip)

Quote:
>The LRM also explains under "Data conversion in arithmetic
>operations" that "if the bases of the two operands differ,
>the decimal operand is converted to binary."

Conversions in PL/I are interesting.  My favorite, from a manual
I saw many years ago, is that 25+1/3 is 5.333333333333 and, as the
message says above, significant digits may be lost.

The rules tell how many digits before the decimal or binary point
in each case.  It takes a while to learn them, though, maybe too long.

-- glen

Tue, 25 May 2004 12:10:57 GMT
 Migrating from OS/VS PL/I to VA PL/I

Quote:

> (snip)
> >The LRM also explains under "Data conversion in arithmetic
> >operations" that "if the bases of the two operands differ,
> >the decimal operand is converted to binary."

> Conversions in PL/I are interesting.  My favorite, from a manual
> I saw many years ago, is that 25+1/3 is 5.333333333333 and, as the
> message says above, significant digits may be lost.

An enabled SIZE condition will trap such overflows.
Quote:
> The rules tell how many digits before the decimal or binary point
> in each case.  It takes a while to learn them, though, maybe too long.

> -- glen

Wed, 26 May 2004 07:50:12 GMT

 [ 32 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3]