Reading VBS records in PL/1
Author Message
 Reading VBS records in PL/1

Anyone know how to read a VBS file with logical records greater than 32k in it using PL/1?

Dennis

--
Dennis L. Pohl                        (937) 865-1761
LEXIS-NEXIS                           Conversion Engineering

Dayton, Ohio  45401

Tue, 11 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Reading VBS records in PL/1
Use READ. (Sorry, but how else can one answer this question?).
The only restriction is that you need a record description as you cannot
read it into a single CHAR VAR, but that's obvious.

Quote:

>Anyone know how to read a VBS file with logical records greater than 32k in
it using PL/1?

>Dennis

>--
>Dennis L. Pohl                        (937) 865-1761
>LEXIS-NEXIS                           Conversion Engineering

>Dayton, Ohio  45401

Sun, 16 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Reading VBS records in PL/1
I'm curious, might there need to be anything special in an ENV attribute
somewhere and/or in the JCL since the records are > 32KB?

Robert M. Pritchett, President - RMP Consulting Partners LLC

"Quality means doing it right the first time!"
Contractors: tired of hearing "W-2 only"? Join us and let us help you get
that same contract on a 1099 as a self-employed independent contractor!

Quote:

>Use READ. (Sorry, but how else can one answer this question?).
>The only restriction is that you need a record description as you cannot
>read it into a single CHAR VAR, but that's obvious.

>>Anyone know how to read a VBS file with logical records greater than 32k
in
>it using PL/1?

>>Dennis

>>--
>>Dennis L. Pohl                        (937) 865-1761
>>LEXIS-NEXIS                           Conversion Engineering

>>Dayton, Ohio  45401

Mon, 17 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Reading VBS records in PL/1
From the PL/I Guide: "For VS- and VBS-format records longer than 32756
bytes, the length must be specified in the RECSIZE option of ENVIRONMENT,
and the DCB subparameter of the DD statement must specify LRECL=X".

Please consult the second half of the chapter on Defining and Using
Consecutive Data Sets with Record Oriented I/O, as well as the basic chapter
on Using Data Sets in the OS PL/I Guide (or PL/I for MVS Guide). I'm sure
that will be much faster. It will also answer your probable next question on
BLKSIZE.

You can find this manual on the IBM PL/I site, as well as being part of the
MVS CD collection.

Quote:

>I'm curious, might there need to be anything special in an ENV attribute
>somewhere and/or in the JCL since the records are > 32KB?

>Robert M. Pritchett, President - RMP Consulting Partners LLC

>"Quality means doing it right the first time!"
>Contractors: tired of hearing "W-2 only"? Join us and let us help you get
>that same contract on a 1099 as a self-employed independent contractor!

>>Use READ. (Sorry, but how else can one answer this question?).
>>The only restriction is that you need a record description as you cannot
>>read it into a single CHAR VAR, but that's obvious.

>>>Anyone know how to read a VBS file with logical records greater than 32k
>in
>>it using PL/1?

>>>Dennis

>>>--
>>>Dennis L. Pohl                        (937) 865-1761
>>>LEXIS-NEXIS                           Conversion Engineering

>>>Dayton, Ohio  45401

Thu, 20 Sep 2001 04:00:00 GMT

1. Mashal.dump 10000 records, Marshal.load only reads 9939 records

2. read next after reading record via another key

3. DR PL/I record I/O

4. PL/I performance with quirky cobol record layout

5. PL/I reading one char at a time from file

6. Reading and Writing Variable length datasets in PL/I

7. read.pl for standard Prolog?

8. read.pl for standard Prolog?

9. The granddaddy read.pl

10. reading in records

11. Reading Comma delimited, Quoted String records