Status of Personal PL/1
Author Message
 Status of Personal PL/1

I had a copy of Personal PL/1 but a house fire later I have an empty
hard drive and I can't seem to find out anything from the IBM web sites
regarding availability.  Does anyone know anything about it.

Thanx - Paul

Thu, 26 May 2005 15:12:03 GMT
 Status of Personal PL/1
If you look at the archive via Google, you will find that this was discussed
in detail several months ago with
exact web site addresses, etc. I bought one in January 2002. I remember that
I had trouble finding it.

Ed

Quote:
> I had a copy of Personal PL/1 but a house fire later I have an empty
> hard drive and I can't seem to find out anything from the IBM web sites
> regarding availability.  Does anyone know anything about it.

> Thanx - Paul

Thu, 26 May 2005 19:41:44 GMT
 Status of Personal PL/1
Try
http://www-3.ibm.com/software/swprod/swprod.nsf/H2BPages/TDUN-49F27L?...
ument

Quote:
> I had a copy of Personal PL/1 but a house fire later I have an empty
> hard drive and I can't seem to find out anything from the IBM web sites
> regarding availability.  Does anyone know anything about it.

> Thanx - Paul

Sat, 28 May 2005 15:00:21 GMT
 Status of Personal PL/1

Mark
The URL did not seem to work  even after I entered it manually because
of the line break.  Any other suggestions?

Thanx - Paul

Quote:

>Try
>http://www-3.ibm.com/software/swprod/swprod.nsf/H2BPages/TDUN-49F27L?...
>ument

>>I had a copy of Personal PL/1 but a house fire later I have an empty
>>hard drive and I can't seem to find out anything from the IBM web sites
>>regarding availability.  Does anyone know anything about it.

>>Thanx - Paul

Tue, 31 May 2005 08:46:43 GMT
 Status of Personal PL/1
Paul,

I clicked on the link and let it fail.  Then I just added the "ument" at
the end and hit Enter.  Worked just fine.  Possibly you made a typo by
manually entering the entire URL.

Quote:

> Mark
> The URL did not seem to work  even after I entered it manually because
> of the line break.  Any other suggestions?

> Thanx - Paul

>>Try
>>http://www-3.ibm.com/software/swprod/swprod.nsf/H2BPages/TDUN-49F27L?...
>>ument

>>>I had a copy of Personal PL/1 but a house fire later I have an empty
>>>hard drive and I can't seem to find out anything from the IBM web sites
>>>regarding availability.  Does anyone know anything about it.

>>>Thanx - Paul

Tue, 31 May 2005 10:20:42 GMT
 Status of Personal PL/1
I've retried the complete URL, it still works. Perhaps you made a typo? Or
perhaps the particular www-3.ibm.com was down when you tried it. Try
replacing www-3 with www (I've tested it, it works). Using www.ibm.com will
redirect as required.

I just cut-and-paste, and forgot to edit out the -3.

Mark
The URL did not seem to work  even after I entered it manually because of
the line break.  Any other suggestions?

Thanx - Paul

Try
http://www-3.ibm.com/software/swprod/swprod.nsf/H2BPages/TDUN-49F27L?...
ument

I had a copy of Personal PL/1 but a house fire later I have an empty
hard drive and I can't seem to find out anything from the IBM web sites
regarding availability.  Does anyone know anything about it.

Thanx - Paul

Tue, 31 May 2005 18:07:38 GMT
 Status of Personal PL/1
in comp.lang.pl1 i read:

Quote:
>I've retried the complete URL, it still works.

it seems that it's the only way to find it.  search doesn't find it, and
the main pl/1 page doesn't link to it (i can see where it used to be in the
option list, but now it's just b0rked).

Thu, 02 Jun 2005 04:35:52 GMT
 Status of Personal PL/1
Actually, I found the page with a search - perhaps we spell PL/I
differently?

Quote:
> in comp.lang.pl1 i read:

> >I've retried the complete URL, it still works.

> it seems that it's the only way to find it.  search doesn't find it, and
> the main pl/1 page doesn't link to it (i can see where it used to be in
the
> option list, but now it's just b0rked).

> --
> bringing you boring signatures for 17 years

Thu, 02 Jun 2005 16:56:51 GMT
 Status of Personal PL/1
in comp.lang.pl1 i read:

Quote:
>Actually, I found the page with a search - perhaps we spell PL/I
>differently?

i tried it all the common ways: pl/1, pl/i, pl1, pli.

Thu, 02 Jun 2005 20:42:46 GMT
 Status of Personal PL/1
Pet peeve -- popular search engines mung the "/".  Searching on the
exact phrase "PL/I" ("PL/1", etc.) will return such wonders as "PL.I",
"PL, I", ...
Quote:

> Actually, I found the page with a search - perhaps we spell PL/I
> differently?

> > in comp.lang.pl1 i read:

> > >I've retried the complete URL, it still works.

> > it seems that it's the only way to find it.  search doesn't find it, and
> > the main pl/1 page doesn't link to it (i can see where it used to be in
> the
> > option list, but now it's just b0rked).

> > --
> > bringing you boring signatures for 17 years

Thu, 02 Jun 2005 21:00:05 GMT
 Status of Personal PL/1

Quote:
> in comp.lang.pl1 i read:

> >Actually, I found the page with a search - perhaps we spell PL/I
> >differently?

> i tried it all the common ways: pl/1, pl/i, pl1, pli.

> --
> bringing you boring signatures for 17 years

Hey Boring,
go to    www.ibm.com

enter in the search window     personal pl/i
click on the first search item found and you get to the page in question by
Yudkin..
Note it says personal pl/i supports Windows NT and OS/2 but further down the
food chain it only refers to a digital download available for NT.     Robin
continues to claim in his FAQ that PL/I is available for OS/2 but apparently
neither PERSONAL
or VA  PL/I  have OS/2 versions available anymore.

Yudkin has posted several negative reviews of Personal PL/I for NT over the
last several years and he reports its a dog that comes with little support
to create apps that use the Win32 APIs.
His comments terminated my interest in acquiring a $113 copy,  and as for VA
PL/I for windows price at $2900,  IBM must be kidding..

Sooo EFFECTIVELY there is NO PL/I  for desktop users to develop useful
Windows applications,
AND IBM hasnt posted ANY news about what happening with PL/I for windows
(upgrades, etc.) since 1999,
AND  Mr  TeamPLI doesnt reply to email inquiries about PLI's future at IBM..

Thu, 02 Jun 2005 23:10:24 GMT
 Status of Personal PL/1

Quote:

> Yudkin has posted several negative reviews of Personal PL/I for NT over
the
> last several years and he reports its a dog that comes with little support
> to create apps that use the Win32 APIs.

To backup above statement, below is just one of many negative messages that
a Google newsgroup search with keywords
yudkin personal win32     will reveal posted by him..

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Subject: Re: PL/I & Windows 95
 View this article only
Newsgroups: comp.lang.pl1
Date: 1999/06/25

Quote:
> As I recall, the discussion in this group was that the personal
> version did not include the WIN32 api, is this still correct?

This is correct.

VA PL/I adds the necessary system support (e.g. options(winmain) and
language features, but only very restricted header files.

Header files for a very large subset of the Procedural API (and everything a
PL/I programmer is ever likely to want to do) are obtained by requesting
them from me. VA PL/I V2.1 CSD#2 or later is an absolute pre-requisite. They
will not compile under Personal PL/I, they use language features not
supported: such as fixed bin(64) unsigned, fixed bin(63) signed, fixed
bin(32) unsigned, xu constants, optional entry byvalue parameters,
overloaded array parameters under options(nodescriptor), assume inot length
preservation, and other language goodies not in Personal PL/I.

Regards, Mark Yudkin

Thu, 02 Jun 2005 23:41:23 GMT
 Status of Personal PL/1

Quote:
> > my interest in acquiring a $113 copy,  and as for VA
> > PL/I for windows price at $2900,  IBM must be kidding..

> That's for the mainframe compatible version.  The PC product is approx
$130,
> as you well know (you acknowledge it above).

You mean that's $113  for the Win-NT version of Personal PLI.
As David said, VisualAge PL/1 Enterprise V2.1 is $2,849.00, which runs on
the PC.
The pricing page for VA-PLI makes no distinction between versions for OS/390
or Windows that I can see.
Tim

Sat, 04 Jun 2005 22:38:40 GMT
 Status of Personal PL/1

Quote:
> > my interest in acquiring a $113 copy,  and as for VA
> > PL/I for windows price at $2900,  IBM must be kidding..

> That's for the mainframe compatible version.  The PC product is approx
$130,
> as you well know (you acknowledge it above).

I only acknowledged Personal PL/I for NT is offered at $113,  why dont you
post a link where
--------------------------------
"Visual Age PL/I for Windows"
-------------------------------
 can be had for $130,   the only price I see for this product is $2850,
(the idea that IBM has a Windows version that runs on mainframes is your
concept not grounded in reality)..

And since Yudkin posts info that Personal PL/I sucks in supporting Win32
programming, that means the subject
"NO PL/I for Windows is avail for desktop users"   is EFFECTIVELY TRUE..

Sat, 04 Jun 2005 22:48:39 GMT

 [ 18 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Compiling DR PL/I code with IBM Personal PL/I

2. Personal PL/1 Samples

3. User's Personal PL/I Neural Network Leaks

4. Performance of Personal PL/I on a Thinkpad 600 (300MHz Pentium II)

5. Performance of Personal PL/I

6. PL/I Personal is still available according to the web site

7. WTB: PL/I Personal for OS/2

8. Personal PL/1 for NT

9. Personal PL/I?

10. PL/I Personal and WIN98