Status of Personal PL/1
Author Message
 Status of Personal PL/1

VA PL/I for OS/2 has had no service packs since FP6. The "Intel" VA PL/I
shrinkwrap product refresh was at the 2.1.7 level for Windows NT and Windows
2000 (and not for 95/98/ME).

OS/2 has been "deemphasized" - like DB2, IBM VA PL/I has been frozen at a
specific level (here 2.1.6, for DB2 at 7.2), and OS/2 itself has had its
official withdrawal notice
( http://www.*-*-*.com/ ).

Quote:

> Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 15:10:24 GMT

> > in comp.lang.pl1 i read:

> > >Actually, I found the page with a search - perhaps we spell PL/I
> > >differently?

> > i tried it all the common ways: pl/1, pl/i, pl1, pli.

> > --
> > bringing you boring signatures for 17 years

> > Hey Boring,
> > go to    www.ibm.com
> > enter in the search window     personal pl/i
> > click on the first search item found and you get to the page in question
by
> > Yudkin..
> > Note it says personal pl/i supports Windows NT and OS/2 but further down
the
> > food chain it only refers to a digital download available for NT.
Robin
> > continues to claim in his FAQ that PL/I is available for OS/2 but
apparently
> > neither PERSONAL
> > or VA  PL/I  have OS/2 versions available anymore.

> You just didn't look hard enough.

> > my interest in acquiring a $113 copy,  and as for VA
> > PL/I for windows price at $2900,  IBM must be kidding..

> That's for the mainframe compatible version.  The PC product is approx
$130,
> as you well know (you acknowledge it above).

> > Sooo EFFECTIVELY there is NO PL/I  for desktop users to develop useful
> > Windows applications,
> > AND IBM hasnt posted ANY news about what happening with PL/I for windows
> > (upgrades, etc.) since 1999,

> Upgrades have been posted regularly since 1999.

> > AND  Mr  TeamPLI doesnt reply to email inquiries about PLI's future at
IBM..

> What makes you think that they'll reply to the likes of you?

Sun, 05 Jun 2005 15:12:55 GMT
 Status of Personal PL/1

Quote:

> OS/2 has been "deemphasized" - like DB2, IBM VA PL/I has been frozen at a
> specific level (here 2.1.6, for DB2 at 7.2), and OS/2 itself has had its
> official withdrawal notice
> (http://www.ibmlink.ibm.com/usalets&parms=H_902-274).

OS/2 is not being withdrawn.  What has been withdrawn is the sale of shrink
wrapped packages of OS/2 Warp 4.0 and WSEB.  These are virtually useless in and
of themselves and people have only been buying them in order to obtain a new
license.

New licenses are now available through passport advantage as well as up to date
media which can be installed without the need to modify the install disks and
apply fixpacks.  The 10 licence minimum for joining passport advantage has been
removed.  Anyone can join an no cost.  Of course, you have to purchase (or
already own) a maintenance agreement in order to download restricted features.
Although many of the latest fixes and upgrades are only available to holders of
software choice of maintenance agreements, IBM continues to make many others
available to everyone at no charge.

The details are spelled out on the software choice website in a December 19,
2002 notice.  This notice also gives a list of order numbers for new licenses
and maintenance agreements.

Fri, 10 Jun 2005 05:10:48 GMT
 Status of Personal PL/1
I belive the terms I used: "deemphasized" and "official withdrawal notice"
are accurate.
The following is stated in the beginning of the announcement letter 902-274:

<quote>
Effective March 12, 2003, IBM will withdraw from marketing the part numbers
licensed under the IBM International Program License Agreement (IPLA) listed
in the Program Withdrawals section.
On or after that date, you can no longer obtain these part numbers directly
from IBM. You can obtain these part numbers on an as-available basis through
IBM authorized remarketers.

Replacement Product Information: None
</quote>

The announcement on http://www-3.ibm.com/software/os/warp/swchoice/ of
passport advantage ordering is a means of direct ordering of OS/2 licenses
through the (rather more expensive) passport advantage program, whcih is now
accessible to small volume orders.

All of which makes no difference to the lack of new versions of IBM VA PL/I,
which is the topic of interest here.

Quote:

> > OS/2 has been "deemphasized" - like DB2, IBM VA PL/I has been frozen at
> > specific level (here 2.1.6, for DB2 at 7.2), and OS/2 itself has had its
> > official withdrawal notice
> > (http://www.ibmlink.ibm.com/usalets&parms=H_902-274).

> OS/2 is not being withdrawn.  What has been withdrawn is the sale of
shrink
> wrapped packages of OS/2 Warp 4.0 and WSEB.  These are virtually useless
in and
> of themselves and people have only been buying them in order to obtain a
new
> license.

> New licenses are now available through passport advantage as well as up to
date
> media which can be installed without the need to modify the install disks
and
> apply fixpacks.  The 10 licence minimum for joining passport advantage has
been
> removed.  Anyone can join an no cost.  Of course, you have to purchase (or
> already own) a maintenance agreement in order to download restricted
features.
> Although many of the latest fixes and upgrades are only available to
holders of
> software choice of maintenance agreements, IBM continues to make many
others
> available to everyone at no charge.

> The details are spelled out on the software choice website in a December
19,
> 2002 notice.  This notice also gives a list of order numbers for new
licenses
> and maintenance agreements.

Sat, 11 Jun 2005 15:14:47 GMT

 [ 18 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]