Difference PL/1 PL/I
Author Message
 Difference PL/1 PL/I

Hi,

sometimes I read PL/1, sometimes PL/I (PL/i).

Sorry for this stupid question, but is it the same language or a different one ?

Thanks in advance
Max Odendahl

Sat, 30 Jul 2005 21:28:20 GMT
 Difference PL/1 PL/I

Quote:

> sometimes I read PL/1, sometimes PL/I (PL/i).
> Sorry for this stupid question, but is it the same language or a different one ?

The language went through some twists and turns while it was being
named.  After starting life as "fortran V", it became "NPL" for "New
Programming Language" by the time IBM announced it.  But Britain's
National Physical Laboratory complained, and a new name had to be found
fast.  After a brief flirtation with the horrid "MPPL" for "Multiple
Purpose Programming Language", "PL/I" for "Programming Language One" was
decided on.  Roman numerals were once quite common in designating
computer technology (viz., FORTRAN II and FORTRAN IV, or the 705 II and
705 III mainframes); the slash was inserted to make it clear that the
"I" was a "one", not an "eye".

However, some people just didn't like the idea of a Roman numeral, and
insisted on making it "PL/1".  I have heard the story that ANSI
officially determined on "PL/1", but cannot seem to find confirmation.
In certain technical constexts, too, the slash was impossible, making
the choice between "PLI" and "PL1" necessary.  But, at any rate, all
four versions, "PL/I", "PL/1", "PLI", and "PL1" refer to exactly the
same language.

--
John W. Kennedy
"The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly;

Sat, 30 Jul 2005 22:19:22 GMT
 Difference PL/1 PL/I

Quote:

>> sometimes I read PL/1, sometimes PL/I (PL/i).

>> Sorry for this stupid question, but is it the same language or a
>> different one ?

> The language went through some twists and turns while it was being
> named.  After starting life as "FORTRAN V", it became "NPL" for "New
> Programming Language" by the time IBM announced it.  But Britain's
> National Physical Laboratory complained, and a new name had to be found
> fast.  After a brief flirtation with the horrid "MPPL" for "Multiple
> Purpose Programming Language", "PL/I" for "Programming Language One" was
> decided on.  Roman numerals were once quite common in designating
> computer technology (viz., FORTRAN II and FORTRAN IV, or the 705 II and
> 705 III mainframes); the slash was inserted to make it clear that the
> "I" was a "one", not an "eye".

> However, some people just didn't like the idea of a Roman numeral, and
> insisted on making it "PL/1".  I have heard the story that ANSI
> officially determined on "PL/1", but cannot seem to find confirmation.
> In certain technical constexts, too, the slash was impossible, making
> the choice between "PLI" and "PL1" necessary.  But, at any rate, all
> four versions, "PL/I", "PL/1", "PLI", and "PL1" refer to exactly the
> same language.

I've also heard -- but am in no position to verify -- that IBM holds
trademark protection on "PL/I" and so if you are a third party with a
compatible product you have to come up with some other variation of the
name.

Sat, 30 Jul 2005 23:50:11 GMT
 Difference PL/1 PL/I

Quote:

> > sometimes I read PL/1, sometimes PL/I (PL/i).

> > Sorry for this stupid question, but is it the same language or a
different one ?

> The language went through some twists and turns while it was being
> named.  After starting life as "FORTRAN V", it became "NPL" for "New
> Programming Language" by the time IBM announced it.  But Britain's
> National Physical Laboratory complained, and a new name had to be found
> fast.  After a brief flirtation with the horrid "MPPL" for "Multiple
> Purpose Programming Language", "PL/I" for "Programming Language One" was
> decided on.  Roman numerals were once quite common in designating
> computer technology (viz., FORTRAN II and FORTRAN IV, or the 705 II and
> 705 III mainframes); the slash was inserted to make it clear that the
> "I" was a "one", not an "eye".

> However, some people just didn't like the idea of a Roman numeral, and
> insisted on making it "PL/1".  I have heard the story that ANSI
> officially determined on "PL/1", but cannot seem to find confirmation.
> In certain technical constexts, too, the slash was impossible, making
> the choice between "PLI" and "PL1" necessary.  But, at any rate, all
> four versions, "PL/I", "PL/1", "PLI", and "PL1" refer to exactly the
> same language.

Well, there are other things called PLI, including a certain subset of
Verilog.

I was one who voted for pl1 for the newsgroup name, as slashes are not
allowed.  pli is just too confusing, and also not unique enough in newsgroup
names.

--- glen

Sun, 31 Jul 2005 00:29:47 GMT
 Difference PL/1 PL/I

Quote:

> >> sometimes I read PL/1, sometimes PL/I (PL/i).

> >> Sorry for this stupid question, but is it the same language or a
> >> different one ?

> > The language went through some twists and turns while it was being
> > named.  After starting life as "FORTRAN V", it became "NPL" for "New
> > Programming Language" by the time IBM announced it.  But Britain's
> > National Physical Laboratory complained, and a new name had to be found
> > fast.  After a brief flirtation with the horrid "MPPL" for "Multiple
> > Purpose Programming Language", "PL/I" for "Programming Language One" was
> > decided on.  Roman numerals were once quite common in designating
> > computer technology (viz., FORTRAN II and FORTRAN IV, or the 705 II and
> > 705 III mainframes); the slash was inserted to make it clear that the
> > "I" was a "one", not an "eye".

> > However, some people just didn't like the idea of a Roman numeral, and
> > insisted on making it "PL/1".  I have heard the story that ANSI
> > officially determined on "PL/1", but cannot seem to find confirmation.
> > In certain technical constexts, too, the slash was impossible, making
> > the choice between "PLI" and "PL1" necessary.  But, at any rate, all
> > four versions, "PL/I", "PL/1", "PLI", and "PL1" refer to exactly the
> > same language.

> I've also heard -- but am in no position to verify -- that IBM holds
> trademark protection on "PL/I" and so if you are a third party with a
> compatible product you have to come up with some other variation of the
> name.

The story I heard was that the two most controversial items in
the ISO/ANSI PL/I standardization process were the color of the
cover of the draft standard and whether it was to be PL/I or
PL/1.  Apparently, those in favor of Roman numerals won.  I was
present for a debate regarding alphabetic case-sensitivity and
can attest that the lighter technical matters can generate the
most controversy.

Sat, 30 Jul 2005 19:43:20 GMT
 Difference PL/1 PL/I

Quote:

>>> sometimes I read PL/1, sometimes PL/I (PL/i).

>>> Sorry for this stupid question, but is it the same language or a
>>> different one ?

>> The language went through some twists and turns while it was being
>> named.  After starting life as "FORTRAN V", it became "NPL" for "New
>> Programming Language" by the time IBM announced it.  But Britain's
>> National Physical Laboratory complained, and a new name had to be
>> found fast.  After a brief flirtation with the horrid "MPPL" for
>> "Multiple Purpose Programming Language", "PL/I" for "Programming
>> Language One" was decided on.  Roman numerals were once quite common
>> in designating computer technology (viz., FORTRAN II and FORTRAN IV,
>> or the 705 II and 705 III mainframes); the slash was inserted to make
>> it clear that the "I" was a "one", not an "eye".

>> However, some people just didn't like the idea of a Roman numeral, and
>> insisted on making it "PL/1".  I have heard the story that ANSI
>> officially determined on "PL/1", but cannot seem to find confirmation.
>> In certain technical constexts, too, the slash was impossible, making
>> the choice between "PLI" and "PL1" necessary.  But, at any rate, all
>> four versions, "PL/I", "PL/1", "PLI", and "PL1" refer to exactly the
>> same language.

> I've also heard -- but am in no position to verify -- that IBM holds
> trademark protection on "PL/I" and so if you are a third party with a
> compatible product you have to come up with some other variation of the
> name.

Definitely false.

--
John W. Kennedy
"The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly;
the rich have always objected to being governed at all."
   -- G. K. Chesterton, "The Man Who Was Thursday"

Sun, 31 Jul 2005 07:23:14 GMT
 Difference PL/1 PL/I
Quote:
> But, at any rate, all
> four versions, "PL/I", "PL/1", "PLI", and "PL1" refer to exactly the
> same language.

When I'm looking for jobs on employment websites I always need to type in
all of these in the search fields to be sure of finding anything PL/1
related, which is a bit of a nuisance.
--
Eric Matto

Sun, 31 Jul 2005 07:50:05 GMT
 Difference PL/1 PL/I

Quote:

> sometimes I read PL/1, sometimes PL/I (PL/i).

> Sorry for this stupid question, but is it the same
> language or a different one ?

The correct name for the language is PL/I.
Some use PL/1.  Means the same thing, but it is
not strictly correct.
Quote:
> Thanks in advance
> Max Odendahl

Sun, 31 Jul 2005 19:38:01 GMT
 Difference PL/1 PL/I

Thanks to all for the detailed answers

Regards Max Odendahl

Mon, 01 Aug 2005 00:48:55 GMT

1. What is the difference between DEC PL/1 and OS/390 PL/1

2. Logo Komeniusz PL (Logo Comenius PL)

3. Derivation of PL/I (was Usenet group for PL/M language)

4. Mapping local files to FILE declarations in PL/I with IBM VisualAge PL./I for Windows

5. Initialization Expressions in PL/I (was ANSI PL/I)

6. Migrating from OS/VS PL/I to VA PL/I

7. PL/I FAQ -- Frequently asked questions about PL/I (minor update)

8. The PL/I Connection (PL/I Newsletter No. 6)

9. How VOS PL/I tames PL/I

10. PL1 JOBS PL/I Jobs PL/1 JOBS

11. It's not PL/1, it's PL/I

12. It's not PL/1, it's PL/I