PLI Compiler (Progress) 
Author Message
 PLI Compiler (Progress)

Hi

I have just generated the first true 32 bit (Pentium) COFF OBJ file from a PLI source file.

The instruction generator (the layer that abstracts the CPU) has in effect been rewritten, this has taken several weeks
to design and code, but has been worth the effort, I now realise how weak my original was (it worked but was poorly
designed in many ways).

It is now a table driven instruction generator, smaller, faster and more flexible that the old 286 prototype.

The code generator relies upon this layer to convert abstracted machine instructions into raw binary.

The code generator looks like it will need only minor tweeks, at least thats all it will need to get to the stage of its
predecessor. the DOS 286 version.

I am now very confident that I can upgrade the code generator and finish the COFF library within a month.

If progress continues at this pace, I may well have a demo version of the compiler available for download before
christmas.

Once I get to this stage, I will begin the next phase, which is to formally tack all bugs and missing features.

Feel free to e-mail me with any questions.

Thanks

Hugh Gleaves
Philadelphia
USA



Wed, 06 Apr 2005 13:51:47 GMT  
 PLI Compiler (Progress)
in comp.lang.pl1 i read:

Quote:
>I have just generated the first true 32 bit (Pentium) COFF OBJ file from a
>PLI source file.
>If progress continues at this pace, I may well have a demo version of the
>compiler available for download before christmas.

excellent!

have you decided on your source availability intentions?  you might get
some assistance by using a public project site, e.g., sourceforge or
savannah, provided your license is compatible with their requirements.

--
bringing you boring signatures for 17 years



Thu, 21 Apr 2005 14:01:28 GMT  
 PLI Compiler (Progress)

Quote:
> in comp.lang.pl1 i read:

> >I have just generated the first true 32 bit (Pentium) COFF OBJ file from a
> >PLI source file.

> >If progress continues at this pace, I may well have a demo version of the
> >compiler available for download before christmas.

> excellent!

> have you decided on your source availability intentions?  you might get
> some assistance by using a public project site, e.g., sourceforge or
> savannah, provided your license is compatible with their requirements.

I, too, would like to seee licensing that provides full source code...

-dq



Fri, 22 Apr 2005 22:54:03 GMT  
 PLI Compiler (Progress)

.....

Quote:
> I, too, would like to seee licensing that provides full source code...

.....

Ahhhh --- that's on the right track.

John.

--

48 Fairway Hill Crescent, Kingston, Ontario, Canada, K7M 2B4.



Sat, 23 Apr 2005 08:27:16 GMT  
 
 [ 4 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Retrocomputing Museum Progress Report (http://compilers.iecc.com/comparch/arti

2. Work in Progress: Tcl Compiler

3. pli compiler

4. PLI compiler for PC wanted

5. PLI compiler for PC want

6. Ancient Digital Research PLI compiler

7. C compiler for Verilog-XL PLI

8. VisualAge PLI Enterprise vs. VisualAge PLI Personal

9. PLI-32 Alpha 3.10 (Single message ZIP file (30K)) - pli-32.zip (0/1)

10. PLI-32 Alpha 3.10 (Single message ZIP file (30K)) - pli-32.zip (1/1)

11. PLI-32 For NT, alpha 3.10 (ZIP File: 378K] - pli-32.zip (10/10)

12. PLI-32 For NT, alpha 3.10 (ZIP File: 378K] - pli-32.zip (06/10)

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software