> Date: Sat, Sep 12, 1998 14:06 EDT

> >Subject: Re: morphed topic: Which Languages?(was:Re: Why COBOL is
> >still there ?)

> >Date: Sat, Sep 12, 1998 06:15 EDT

> >(snip)
> >> I remember my first PL/1 program change.  I'd taken the request,
> >> examined the source program, found the place and made the changes before
> >> realising that I didn't know PL/1 and had never before come into contact
> >> with it.  It compiled, tested and went live OK, though.

> >IMHO, this says something positive about PL/1, as well.

> >Bill {*filter*}

> Be careful before you leap into other programming languages without knowing
> what you're doing...

> A number of years back, I got a call from the the IS head of a company I left a
> couple of months earlier.

> He was complaining about some PL/I programs I had written that no longer
> worked.
> When asked what modifications had been made since my departure, he firmly
> stated that no code had been changed.

> When pressed on the subject, he noted that their head COBOL geek, apparently
> unaware of the concept of scope of variables, had noted that the PL/I program
> violated his {*filter*}retentive COBOL standards and "improved" things by
> rearranging all the PROCEDUREs into alphabetical order. The COBOL geek
> reassured the IS head that this could not possibly cause any problems.

> Ooops...

Must have been more than just "re-arranging the PROCEDURES into
alphabetical order".

If the procedures had been nested, and then were un-nested in
the re-arrangement, then some problems could well arise.

Thu, 01 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Which languages?

Quote:
><HTML><PRE>Subject: Which languages?

>Date: Sat, Sep 12, 1998 21:20 EDT

>Languages?(was:Re: Why COBOL is still there
>> ?)

>> Date: Sat, Sep 12, 1998 14:06 EDT

>> >Subject: Re: morphed topic: Which Languages?(was:Re: Why COBOL is
>> >still there ?)

>> >Date: Sat, Sep 12, 1998 06:15 EDT

>> >(snip)

>> >IMHO, this says something positive about PL/1, as well.

>> >Bill {*filter*}

>> Be careful before you leap into other programming languages without knowing
>> what you're doing...

>> A number of years back, I got a call from the the IS head of a company I
>left a
>> couple of months earlier.

>> He was complaining about some PL/I programs I had written that no longer
>> worked.
>> When asked what modifications had been made since my departure, he firmly
>> stated that no code had been changed.

>> When pressed on the subject, he noted that their head COBOL geek,
>apparently
>> unaware of the concept of scope of variables, had noted that the PL/I
>program
>> violated his {*filter*}retentive COBOL standards and "improved" things by
>> rearranging all the PROCEDUREs into alphabetical order. The COBOL geek
>> reassured the IS head that this could not possibly cause any problems.

>> Ooops...

>Must have been more than just "re-arranging the PROCEDURES into
>alphabetical order".

>If the procedures had been nested, and then were un-nested in
>the re-arrangement, then some problems could well arise.
></PRE></HTML>

Precisely what happened!

Thu, 01 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. A Language Primer required for A Programming Language

2. multi-language vs mono-language, 1/2 (was: Me and FP &c)

3. multi-language vs mono-language, 2/2 (was: Me and FP &c)

4. Speed of FP languages, prospects (was Re: Benchmarking Lazy Functional Languages)

5. language advocacy and language comparison

6. Scripting Language Options List (how to build a language)

7. Use a new language: Structured Programming Language

8. inventory of computer languages / inventaires des languages informatiques

9. Eiffel-like languages: The Kay Language

10. All Languages Programming Contest -- Extending the language (4)

11. All Languages Programming Contest -- Extending the language (3)

12. The Icon Programming Language (was: Discussions of languages)