PL/I Personal and WIN98
Author Message
 PL/I Personal and WIN98

PL/I Personal Edition is advertised to work only WINNT. I'm
using WIN98SE. Will PL/I Personal work on WIN98?
Anybody done it? Problems? Will IBM support it?

My intended usage would be to write and test code that
is targeted for OS/390 PL/I for MVS and VM.

TIA.
----
Jeff

Tue, 11 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I Personal and WIN98

Quote:
> PL/I Personal Edition is advertised to work only WINNT. I'm
> using WIN98SE. Will PL/I Personal work on WIN98?
> Anybody done it? Problems? Will IBM support it?

The basic compiler will work at least to a fair extent (I tried it out - an
error that I was getting which influenced me into going for WinNT turned out
to be a compiler bug);  however, I would not count on everything fully
working (especially the debugging tools), and it's doubtful that IBM would
support it.  In any case, WinNT is really a better system than Win98.
--
"I run to Death and Death meets me as fast, and all my pleasures are as
yesterday" - John Donne

Wed, 12 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I Personal and WIN98

Quote:
> PL/I Personal Edition is advertised to work only WINNT. I'm
> using WIN98SE. Will PL/I Personal work on WIN98?
> Anybody done it? Problems? Will IBM support it?

> My intended usage would be to write and test code that
> is targeted for OS/390 PL/I for MVS and VM.

> TIA.
> ----
> Jeff

you can compile, link and run with win98
but you would be better using winNT or win2000
98 will have trouble with odbc, workframe,
application understanding, cics

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 12 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I Personal and WIN98
Programs compiled with PL/I will work on W95/98/ME.

The compiler itself should be run on NT (for VA PL/I: and W2K after
application of FP7).

If IBM do not indicate that the Personal Compiler will run on W98,I would
assume they have good reason. I can definitely state that some of the APIs I
have incorporated in the header files are privided in the NT version only,
and I cannot offer any asssistance if you encounter problems with PL/I on
W98.

Finally, application debugging on W98 is almost impossible, so anybody
insisting on using W98 for development is asking for trouble.

Quote:
> PL/I Personal Edition is advertised to work only WINNT. I'm
> using WIN98SE. Will PL/I Personal work on WIN98?
> Anybody done it? Problems? Will IBM support it?

> My intended usage would be to write and test code that
> is targeted for OS/390 PL/I for MVS and VM.

> TIA.
> ----
> Jeff

Thu, 13 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I Personal and WIN98
Maybe that I use it too rarely and on a too trivial
basis. But debugging on WIN95 and 98 worked fine...
Pls tell me, where most problems will arise in debugging

thks , Markus Loew

Mark Yudkin schrieb in Nachricht

Quote:
>Programs compiled with PL/I will work on W95/98/ME.

>The compiler itself should be run on NT (for VA PL/I: and W2K after
>application of FP7).

>If IBM do not indicate that the Personal Compiler will run on W98,I would
>assume they have good reason. I can definitely state that some of the APIs
>have incorporated in the header files are privided in the NT version only,
>and I cannot offer any asssistance if you encounter problems with PL/I on
>W98.

>Finally, application debugging on W98 is almost impossible, so anybody
>insisting on using W98 for development is asking for trouble.

>> PL/I Personal Edition is advertised to work only WINNT. I'm
>> using WIN98SE. Will PL/I Personal work on WIN98?
>> Anybody done it? Problems? Will IBM support it?

>> My intended usage would be to write and test code that
>> is targeted for OS/390 PL/I for MVS and VM.

>> TIA.
>> ----
>> Jeff

Thu, 20 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I Personal and WIN98
Please review chapter 2 of "Getting Started" for a list of platform /
product requirements.

AFAIK, the newest Personal PL/I is documented as being for NT only, and I
would understand that to mean that imost of it doesn't run on '98. YMMV.

Quote:
> Maybe that I use it too rarely and on a too trivial
> basis. But debugging on WIN95 and 98 worked fine...
> Pls tell me, where most problems will arise in debugging

> thks , Markus Loew

> Mark Yudkin schrieb in Nachricht

> >Programs compiled with PL/I will work on W95/98/ME.

> >The compiler itself should be run on NT (for VA PL/I: and W2K after
> >application of FP7).

> >If IBM do not indicate that the Personal Compiler will run on W98,I would
> >assume they have good reason. I can definitely state that some of the
APIs
> >have incorporated in the header files are privided in the NT version
only,
> >and I cannot offer any asssistance if you encounter problems with PL/I on
> >W98.

> >Finally, application debugging on W98 is almost impossible, so anybody
> >insisting on using W98 for development is asking for trouble.

> >> PL/I Personal Edition is advertised to work only WINNT. I'm
> >> using WIN98SE. Will PL/I Personal work on WIN98?
> >> Anybody done it? Problems? Will IBM support it?

> >> My intended usage would be to write and test code that
> >> is targeted for OS/390 PL/I for MVS and VM.

> >> TIA.
> >> ----
> >> Jeff

Fri, 21 Mar 2003 14:24:38 GMT
 PL/I Personal and WIN98
I just downloaded the Personal PL/I for Windows last week, and could not
even read the help files to see how to run it (I have Win98 SE).  The files
all give a message "this is not a help file or the file is currupt".  I
searched for some executable modules, tried double clicking them to see if I
get a compiler, but all I get is protection exception errors.

I tried deinstalling it, but get the message that the product is already
uninstalled.   I finally deleted all the files and tried to remove all
references from the directory manually.  I think I got rid of it.

I sent a letter to IBM telling them that I hope they don't expect me to pay
for this crap.

I guess I can always install Win 2000 and see if it runs under that, but
then I have to buy Win 2000 for about $269.   I don't know whether I should
invest in this to try salvaging the PL/I compiler, or just forget the whole
thing.

Quote:
> Please review chapter 2 of "Getting Started" for a list of platform /
> product requirements.

> AFAIK, the newest Personal PL/I is documented as being for NT only, and I
> would understand that to mean that imost of it doesn't run on '98. YMMV.

> > Maybe that I use it too rarely and on a too trivial
> > basis. But debugging on WIN95 and 98 worked fine...
> > Pls tell me, where most problems will arise in debugging

> > thks , Markus Loew

> > Mark Yudkin schrieb in Nachricht

> > >Programs compiled with PL/I will work on W95/98/ME.

> > >The compiler itself should be run on NT (for VA PL/I: and W2K after
> > >application of FP7).

> > >If IBM do not indicate that the Personal Compiler will run on W98,I
would
> > >assume they have good reason. I can definitely state that some of the
> APIs
> > >have incorporated in the header files are privided in the NT version
> only,
> > >and I cannot offer any asssistance if you encounter problems with PL/I
on
> > >W98.

> > >Finally, application debugging on W98 is almost impossible, so anybody
> > >insisting on using W98 for development is asking for trouble.

Sun, 23 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I Personal and WIN98
Dear Solar,
They are not "wondoze" help files.
They are "I be 'im" help files.
- - -
If you just want to compile, link and execute - try again
Just reinstall in win 98
use the programming guide & language reference
Compile & run from the C prompt
It is, actually, quite easy
- - -
go on - give it another try
it will be well worth your time

> I just downloaded the Personal PL/I for Windows last week, and could
not
> even read the help files to see how to run it (I have Win98 SE).  The
files
> all give a message "this is not a help file or the file is currupt".
> searched for some executable modules, tried double clicking them to
see if I
> get a compiler, but all I get is protection exception errors.

> I tried deinstalling it, but get the message that the product is
already
> uninstalled.   I finally deleted all the files and tried to remove all
> references from the directory manually.  I think I got rid of it.

> I sent a letter to IBM telling them that I hope they don't expect me
to pay
> for this crap.

> I guess I can always install Win 2000 and see if it runs under that,
but
> then I have to buy Win 2000 for about $269.   I don't know whether I
should
> invest in this to try salvaging the PL/I compiler, or just forget the
whole
> thing.

> > Please review chapter 2 of "Getting Started" for a list of
platform /
> > product requirements.

> > AFAIK, the newest Personal PL/I is documented as being for NT only,
and I
> > would understand that to mean that imost of it doesn't run on '98.
YMMV.

> > > Maybe that I use it too rarely and on a too trivial
> > > basis. But debugging on WIN95 and 98 worked fine...
> > > Pls tell me, where most problems will arise in debugging

> > > thks , Markus Loew

> > > Mark Yudkin schrieb in Nachricht

W98,I
> would
> > APIs
> > only,
> on

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 23 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I Personal and WIN98
You need to use IVIEW to read them. IVIEW is bundled with a bunch of IBM
products, including PL/I.
Personal PL/I is not documented to work on W2K and there are some
restrictions (e.g. de{*filter*}). For VA PL/I, FixPak 7 resolves the issues. I
have no idea when a related FP is due for Personal PL/I.

---

Warning: the FP7 manuals still discuss AIX, OS/2 and Windows. FP7 is clearly
marked for NT / 2000 only. So even if you do read the manuals, they won't
really help.

To be fair, our Cogent/SQL documentation (see tag line) also discusses
"Windows". Only the release notes (and install program) tell you that
Windows means Windows NT or Windows 2000, and that it won't run on Windows
95 / 98 / ME. There are just too many names to list them all, and the use of
the same product brand name for two incompatible systems is just a nuisance
for those of us writing documentation to maintain.

---

Finally, why are you blaming IBM if you install a product on a non.supported
platform or if you just wildly click on random files?

Quote:

> I just downloaded the Personal PL/I for Windows last week, and could not
> even read the help files to see how to run it (I have Win98 SE).  The
files
> all give a message "this is not a help file or the file is currupt".  I
> searched for some executable modules, tried double clicking them to see if
> get a compiler, but all I get is protection exception errors.

> I tried deinstalling it, but get the message that the product is already
> uninstalled.   I finally deleted all the files and tried to remove all
> references from the directory manually.  I think I got rid of it.

> I sent a letter to IBM telling them that I hope they don't expect me to
pay
> for this crap.

> I guess I can always install Win 2000 and see if it runs under that, but
> then I have to buy Win 2000 for about $269.   I don't know whether I
should
> invest in this to try salvaging the PL/I compiler, or just forget the
whole
> thing.

> > Please review chapter 2 of "Getting Started" for a list of platform /
> > product requirements.

> > AFAIK, the newest Personal PL/I is documented as being for NT only, and
> > would understand that to mean that imost of it doesn't run on '98. YMMV.

> > > Maybe that I use it too rarely and on a too trivial
> > > basis. But debugging on WIN95 and 98 worked fine...
> > > Pls tell me, where most problems will arise in debugging

> > > thks , Markus Loew

> > > Mark Yudkin schrieb in Nachricht

> would
> > APIs
> > only,
PL/I
> on

Tue, 25 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I Personal and WIN98
Hi Jeff,

I use VA PLI 2.2 on WIN95, so I think it will work on WIN98, too.

Regards

Wolfgang

Jeffery Swagger schrieb:

Quote:

> PL/I Personal Edition is advertised to work only WINNT. I'm
> using WIN98SE. Will PL/I Personal work on WIN98?
> Anybody done it? Problems? Will IBM support it?

> My intended usage would be to write and test code that
> is targeted for OS/390 PL/I for MVS and VM.

> TIA.
> ----
> Jeff

Tue, 25 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I Personal and WIN98
I think you mean VA PL/I V2.1. And by "work", I assume you mean that subset
that is defined to work on W9x.
The following do not work on '9x: CICS, Remote Data, Application
Understanding, Y2K analysis, Remote Edit / Compile, Remote IMS DL/I. Of
course, this may not matter to you.

You should also consider that FP7 for VA PL/I V2.1 is declared as being for
NT / W2K only, as is Personal PL/I, and it is here that the discussions
arise.

Quote:
> Hi Jeff,

> I use VA PLI 2.2 on WIN95, so I think it will work on WIN98, too.

> Regards

> Wolfgang

> Jeffery Swagger schrieb:

> > PL/I Personal Edition is advertised to work only WINNT. I'm
> > using WIN98SE. Will PL/I Personal work on WIN98?
> > Anybody done it? Problems? Will IBM support it?

> > My intended usage would be to write and test code that
> > is targeted for OS/390 PL/I for MVS and VM.

> > TIA.
> > ----
> > Jeff

Thu, 27 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I Personal and WIN98

Quote:
> Finally, why are you blaming IBM if you install a product on a
non.supported
> platform or if you just wildly click on random files?

 I guess I assumed that, if the product installed on Win98, that it would
run.  At least, if I had written  the installation procedures, I would have
checked the operating system type before proceeding.

And, given no documentation whatsoever (not even usable help files), what
would you have suggested I do to see if a program worked, other than try
executing it?

Thu, 27 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I Personal and WIN98
Dear Solar,
I'm sorry that you didn't have a happy first encounter with pli
But it is a good product, and well worth a second glance
- - -
When you install - even on win98 - which I have done
it will set up a program group which will have various icons
such as "programming guide"
(in win nt & win 2k these are in a lower folder called documentation)
open the 'programming guide', which has lots of advice.
After the usual intros to such a manual, you will find
'compiling your program' - 'a short practice exercise' - and then -
'the hello program'
- - - -
Do give it a try - it will work - on win98
- - - -
As for the documentation
it is all there, if you go in through the icons set up by the install.
As I said in my earlier post, the help files are not in microsoft format
they are in an ibm format.
In addition, if you do want manuals, they are on the cd in .pdf format
if you want to view or print them
- - - -
Good luck - this time it will work
- - - --

Quote:

> > Finally, why are you blaming IBM if you install a product on a
> non.supported
> > platform or if you just wildly click on random files?

>  I guess I assumed that, if the product installed on Win98, that it
would
> run.  At least, if I had written  the installation procedures, I
would have
> checked the operating system type before proceeding.

> And, given no documentation whatsoever (not even usable help files),
what
> would you have suggested I do to see if a program worked, other than
try
> executing it?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Fri, 28 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I Personal and WIN98
Not only does FP7 declare that it is only for NT/W2K, the install does a
check for one of those systems. I have installed VA PL/I V2.1 on Win 98 then
migrated to Win ME and it works fine for simple examples and syntax
checking. The programs compile, link and execute. The de{*filter*} also works in
these simple cases. Unfortunately, my home PC is W2K incompatible so far;
real work will have to be done at the office.
By the way, more than simple cases may work. A slightly retouched version of
"Adventure" from the SHARE tape also runs.

Quote:
> I think you mean VA PL/I V2.1. And by "work", I assume you mean that
subset
> that is defined to work on W9x.
> The following do not work on '9x: CICS, Remote Data, Application
> Understanding, Y2K analysis, Remote Edit / Compile, Remote IMS DL/I. Of
> course, this may not matter to you.

> You should also consider that FP7 for VA PL/I V2.1 is declared as being
for
> NT / W2K only, as is Personal PL/I, and it is here that the discussions
> arise.

> > Hi Jeff,

> > I use VA PLI 2.2 on WIN95, so I think it will work on WIN98, too.

> > Regards

> > Wolfgang

> > Jeffery Swagger schrieb:

> > > PL/I Personal Edition is advertised to work only WINNT. I'm
> > > using WIN98SE. Will PL/I Personal work on WIN98?
> > > Anybody done it? Problems? Will IBM support it?

> > > My intended usage would be to write and test code that
> > > is targeted for OS/390 PL/I for MVS and VM.

> > > TIA.
> > > ----
> > > Jeff

Fri, 28 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/I Personal and WIN98

[snap]
Quote:
> By the way, more than simple cases may work. A slightly retouched
version of
> "Adventure" from the SHARE tape also runs.

By 'retouched' what have you done???
(you have to change the selects, the i/o, random.)
Is is still text based ? ?
Have you added any graphics ??
Should we ask Robin to put it on his site ?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 29 Mar 2003 08:04:51 GMT

 [ 35 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3]

 Relevant Pages

1. Compiling DR PL/I code with IBM Personal PL/I

2. Micro Focus Personal Cobol and Win98!!

3. just a moron trying to get python working on win98 and personal web server

4. Personal PL/1 Samples

5. User's Personal PL/I Neural Network Leaks

6. Performance of Personal PL/I on a Thinkpad 600 (300MHz Pentium II)

7. Performance of Personal PL/I

8. Status of Personal PL/1

9. PL/I Personal is still available according to the web site

10. WTB: PL/I Personal for OS/2

11. Personal PL/1 for NT

12. Personal PL/I?