PL1 to C conversion
Author Message
 PL1 to C conversion

I would like to add my two cents to the PL/I to C discussion.  There
have been comments made about certain things not being able to be
converted due to the differences in the languages.  Yes, there are
differences in the languages but as a previous poster responded there
are ways to emulate the functionality.  Some of the code might not
look as pretty as it did in the PL/I, but that is one of the
tradeoffs.  As for how possible is it, let me at least give you a few
facts.  The company I work for, Datatek Inc. (www.datatek-net.com)
has had a PL/I to C conversion tool for years.  The tool is used
in-house as part of our migration services.  It has successfully
converted millions of lines of PL/I.  The resulting C code runs in
production environments with large user counts.  The converted
software not only runs on customer systems, but is actually sold as
commercial software as well.

Is a PL/I to C conversion for everyone?  No, of course not.  The
reasons why folks consider converting runs the gambit:

unable to get PL/I programmers (especially cheaper entry level ones
i.e. the college kids - who these days only want to seem to write in
java)

want to consolidate their hodgepodge of different language based
systems to a single standard language

fear of vendors commitment to the language

runtime license costs

etc...

I'm not trying to pitch anything here, but just trying to lay down a
couple of facts.  The conversion IS possible and it HAS been done.
Whether a conversion is warranted is completely dependent on each
site's circumstance.

Fri, 27 May 2005 22:32:15 GMT
 PL1 to C conversion

Quote:

> Is a PL/I to C conversion for everyone?  No, of course not.  The
> reasons why folks consider converting runs the gambit:
> unable to get PL/I programmers (especially cheaper entry level ones
> i.e. the college kids - who these days only want to seem to write in
> java)
> want to consolidate their hodgepodge of different language based
> systems to a single standard language

Only a pointy-haired boss of the worst stripe thinks either of those
sane.  It is infinitely easier to teach PL/I once than to deal for years
with the hideous kludgery of a translated program, especially when going
from a more-powerful to a less-powerful language.

--
John W. Kennedy
"The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly;

Sun, 29 May 2005 06:03:57 GMT
 PL1 to C conversion

Quote:

> > Is a PL/I to C conversion for everyone?  No, of course not.  The
> > reasons why folks consider converting runs the gambit:

> > unable to get PL/I programmers (especially cheaper entry level ones
> > i.e. the college kids - who these days only want to seem to write in
> > java)

> > want to consolidate their hodgepodge of different language based
> > systems to a single standard language

> Only a pointy-haired boss of the worst stripe thinks either of those
> sane.  It is infinitely easier to teach PL/I once than to deal for years
> with the hideous kludgery of a translated program, especially when going
> from a more-powerful to a less-powerful language.

Actually, that pointy-haired boss is the guy who wants to throw away all
your existing and working code and replace it with a third party product
which is high priced, less functional, hard to customize, completely leaving
you powerless to the whims of the vendor (but hey it looked good in this
week's addition of Info-whatever)!

Mon, 30 May 2005 09:55:02 GMT
 PL1 to C conversion
That's "gamut", mutt!

Quote:
> I would like to add my two cents to the PL/I to C discussion.  There
> have been comments made about certain things not being able to be
> converted due to the differences in the languages.  Yes, there are
> differences in the languages but as a previous poster responded there
> are ways to emulate the functionality.  Some of the code might not
> look as pretty as it did in the PL/I, but that is one of the
> tradeoffs.  As for how possible is it, let me at least give you a few
> facts.  The company I work for, Datatek Inc. (www.datatek-net.com)
> has had a PL/I to C conversion tool for years.  The tool is used
> in-house as part of our migration services.  It has successfully
> converted millions of lines of PL/I.  The resulting C code runs in
> production environments with large user counts.  The converted
> software not only runs on customer systems, but is actually sold as
> commercial software as well.

> Is a PL/I to C conversion for everyone?  No, of course not.  The
> reasons why folks consider converting runs the gambit:

> unable to get PL/I programmers (especially cheaper entry level ones
> i.e. the college kids - who these days only want to seem to write in
> java)

> want to consolidate their hodgepodge of different language based
> systems to a single standard language

> fear of vendors commitment to the language

> runtime license costs

> etc...

> I'm not trying to pitch anything here, but just trying to lay down a
> couple of facts.  The conversion IS possible and it HAS been done.
> Whether a conversion is warranted is completely dependent on each
> site's circumstance.

Thu, 02 Jun 2005 19:39:36 GMT

1. pl1 to c++ conversion

2. PL1 Data format conversions

3. CICS/PL1 Macro- to Cmd-lvl Conversion Consultants?

4. PL1 for Linux / PL1 for Win95?

5. wanted: PL1 to C xlator or PL1 BNF

7. C to Pascal Conversion (Was: Pascal to C Conversion)

8. C to Fortran conversion (was: fortran to c conversion)

9. Where is #932 implemented in PL1?

10. PL1 Environment Problem with ALC

11. Register Savearea and PL1 question!

12. FINAL CALL FOR VOTES: comp.lang.pl1