Visual Age PL/I for OS/390
Author Message
 Visual Age PL/I for OS/390

Well, the news is semi-good for this new compiler.

At SHARE this week I learned you can call between VA PL/I and old PL/I, as long
as you are aware of a few restrictions. Especially note:

* you cannot pass arrays and structures across language levels, since the
descriptors are different; however, you can use the VA compiler option
NODESCRIPTORS and pass data if the other program is using OPTIONS(ASM) or
OPTIONS(COBOL); alternatively, you can pass / receive pointers to arrays and
structures

* you cannot pass strings unless you compile the new PL/I using options(compat)

* you cannot share files across language levels, nor controlled variables,
external static items, label variables, nor entry variables

* old PL/I cannot FETCH VA PL/I modules

* VA PL/I can only FETCH old PL/I modules if the old module is declared with
OPTIONS(ASM)

So, there are some restrictions, but it is a lot better than first understood.
I asked one of the developers why the original message was so strong. He said
IBM was trying to "strongly encourage" everyone to recompile, and he allowed
that maybe they stated the case a little too heavily. [But hey, look what's
happened to the COBOL side: they have supported the old stuff for a long time,
thus giving little incentive to change and move forware. Hard to find a
balance, I imagine.]

Just thought there might be a little interest.

Regards,

Steve Comstock
Telephone: 303-393-8716
www.trainersfriend.com

256-B S. Monaco Parkway
Denver, CO 80224
USA

Fri, 30 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Survey: Market for Visual Age PL/I for OS/390 course

2. What is the difference between DEC PL/1 and OS/390 PL/1

3. VisualAge PL/I for OS/390 and PL/I 2.3

4. OS/390 release test periods Re: default variable initialization under os/390 v2r8

5. Cobol OS/390 to C OS/390 V2R6

6. DYNALLOC in OS/390 PL/I

7. OS/390 2.10 VA PL/I IVP COND CODE 0218

8. calling XML-parser from PL/1 on OS/390

9. Performance and resource issues with VisualAge PL/I for OS/390

10. Performance and resource issues with VisualAge PL/I for OS/390

11. PL/I style (was: default variable initialization under os/390 v2r8)

12. Current APAR of VA PL/I for OS/390