ceedump/plidump
Author Message
 ceedump/plidump

What is the advantage of using PLIDUMP?  If I don't call it before I signal
error then I get a ceedump (though some storage is listed as inaccessible).  If
I call PLIDUMP before I signal error then I still get CEEDUMP but the PLIDUMP
seems to have cleaner info (I don't see inaccessible references).
Additionally, I cannot get the SNAP to work if I have PLIDUMP.

SYSUDUMP seems like a total waste ... is there any case for including this in
my JCL?

Also, I always get abendaid - do abendaid and ceedump go hand in hand or is it
just because our installation has a contract for abendaid?

Any pointers as to when and why to include plidump when I already have ceedump
and abendaid automatically?

Thanks,
sue

Sun, 18 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 ceedump/plidump
Sue lawlis writes ...

Quote:
>What is the advantage of using PLIDUMP?  If I don't call it before I signal
>error then I get a ceedump (though some storage is listed as inaccessible).
>If
>I call PLIDUMP before I signal error then I still get CEEDUMP but the PLIDUMP
>seems to have cleaner info (I don't see inaccessible references).
>Additionally, I cannot get the SNAP to work if I have PLIDUMP.

>SYSUDUMP seems like a total waste ... is there any case for including this in
>my JCL?

SYSUDUMP is there to get traditional MVS system dumps. Once you start getting
CEEDUMPs I think you can dispense with SYSUDUMP.

Quote:
>Also, I always get abendaid - do abendaid and ceedump go hand in hand or is
>it
>just because our installation has a contract for abendaid?

You can turn off abend-aid by including this DD statement in your step(s):

//ABNLIGNR  DD  DUMMY

Quote:
>Any pointers as to when and why to include plidump when I already have
>ceedump
>and abendaid automatically?

Well, CEEDUMP only dumps data areas, registers, and work areas: no object code
(machine instructions). If you need to see the dump of your machine
instructions you might want abend-aid, or to use any of the options in PLIDUMP
that dump your code.

Quote:

>Thanks,
>sue

You're welcome.

Regards,

Steve Comstock
Telephone: 303-393-8716
www.trainersfriend.com

256-B S. Monaco Parkway
Denver, CO 80224
USA

Sun, 18 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 ceedump/plidump

Quote:

> Sue lawlis writes ...

>> What is the advantage of using PLIDUMP?  If I don't call it before I >> signal error then I get a ceedump (though some storage is listed as >> inaccessible).

Hmm. Do you mean if you DON'T have something like:

  On Error Call PLIDUMP('tfshb');

then you get a CEEDUMP (with some storage not shown)?

Quote:
>> If I call PLIDUMP before I signal error then I still get CEEDUMP but
>> the PLIDUMP seems to have cleaner info (I don't see inaccessible >> references).
>> Additionally, I cannot get the SNAP to work if I have PLIDUMP.

I think you might be missing a DD statement for CEESNAP

Also, some recent levels of LE seem to disable the SNAP dump.

Quote:
>> SYSUDUMP seems like a total waste ... is there any case for including >> this in my JCL?

> SYSUDUMP is there to get traditional MVS system dumps. Once you start
> getting CEEDUMPs I think you can dispense with SYSUDUMP.

If you disable LE error handling with:

dcl plixopt char(20) var ext init('TRAP(OFF)');

then many error conditions should produce a SYSUDUMP.

Quote:
>> Also, I always get abendaid - do abendaid and ceedump go hand in hand
>> or is it just because our installation has a contract for abendaid?

> You can turn off abend-aid by including this DD statement in your
> step(s):

> //ABNLIGNR  DD  DUMMY

>> Any pointers as to when and why to include plidump when I already have
>> ceedump and abendaid automatically?

> Well, CEEDUMP only dumps data areas, registers, and work areas: no
> object code (machine instructions). If you need to see the dump of your > machine instructions you might want abend-aid, or to use any of the
> options in PLIDUMP that dump your code.

Mon, 19 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. PLIDUMP behavior.