PL/1 compilers
Author Message
 PL/1 compilers

Are there any public (source included) PL/1 compilers
like gcc is for C/C++?

I really only need the front-end since I'm really looking for
a parser for PL/1.  I don't intend to generate the backend
machine code.  Is the PL/1 BNF (Braccus Normal Form) for
the language available anywhere?

Thanks in advance.

Lynn

Mon, 15 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/1 compilers

 on 29 May 1997 03:16:30 GMT,

Quote:
>Are there any public (source included) PL/1 compilers
>like gcc is for C/C++?

>I really only need the front-end since I'm really looking for
>a parser for PL/1.  I don't intend to generate the backend
>machine code.  Is the PL/1 BNF (Braccus Normal Form) for
>the language available anywhere?

  Lynn, you might want to take a look at my REFORMAT package; it's a
PL/I source code reformatter/pretty-printer. It contains a rudimentary
PL/I languafe parser in it that permits it to discover what is a PL/I
keyword, variable name, etc. in the source program it's reformatting.
You can get the package, including all of the PL/I source code and
documentaion via anonymous ftp from:

        vm1.velocity-software.com

Just logon as 'anonymous' (no password required) and get the
REFORMAT.ZIP file from the default directory. The two procedures that
actually do the parsing are LEX and PARSE.

Quote:
>Thanks in advance.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Quote:
>Lynn

Dave Jones

Mon, 15 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 PL/1 compilers

 on 29 May 1997 03:16:30 GMT,

Quote:
>Are there any public (source included) PL/1 compilers
>like gcc is for C/C++?

>I really only need the front-end since I'm really looking for
>a parser for PL/1.  I don't intend to generate the backend
>machine code.  Is the PL/1 BNF (Braccus Normal Form) for
>the language available anywhere?

  Lynn, I don't know if there is any PL/I BNF definitions available,
but you might want to pick up a copy of my REFORMAT package from the
anonymous FTP site at:

        VM1.VELOCITY-SOFTWARE.COM

Logon as ANONYMOUS (no password required) and get the file REFORMAT.ZIP
from the default directory. It's a PL/I source code reformatter ('pretty
printer'); included in the package are the PL/I source code files that
includes a (rudimentary) PL/I parser (procedures LEX and PARSE) that
might serve your purpose. A caution: the parser code is based on the
IBM EBCDIC character set and can't run unmodified on an ASCII system.
Modifying it to execute on an ASCII should be straightforward though.

Quote:
>Thanks in advance.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
>Lynn

Dave Jones

Mon, 15 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. PL/I (was: IBM Needs to seed the PL/I Compiler)

2. PL/I compiler wanted!!

3. PL/I Compiler Vendors wanted

4. PL/I compiler/info?

5. PL/1 compiler for DOS/WIN/OS2 ?

6. Current IBM PL/I compilers

7. Open Source PL/1 Compilers?

8. New PL/I Compiler announced today

9. PL/CT Compiler. Cross-posted from PL1-L

10. Query Re OS/2 2.1 Beta Developer Edition PL/I Compiler

11. looking for a PL/I compiler for 386+ in MSDOS or NT-DOS

12. Seeking Talented Programmers to Implement Public Domain 32-Bit PL/I Compiler